Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Projections updated today (Apr 5).

Death projection to August dropped from 96K to 82K.

Even though the peak daily number of deaths increased (as I predicted) from 2644 to 3130, but not (yet) further into the future, staying on April 16, in spite of that the total number did go down.

Also the predicted peak number of ventilators went down, from 32,581 on April 12, to 25,004 on April 16. Since the date changed as well, this might be because there is less assumed overlap between hot spots.

Coronavirus: Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted to hospital for COVID-19 tests

apparently he's had it for 10 days and it's about time for ventilator assist and recovery or ventilator assist and demise. (no mention of ventilator need in article but you have to assume considering the normal path)

Only a small percentage of people need a ventilator. For someone that high up on the food chain the doctors are going to be overly cautious about everything health related. Boris Johnson is not recovering as fast as they would like to see, so they are being cautious and checking him out. I don't see any indication he's got a life threatening case.

Got distracted, didn't reply to this part.

This could work, but my concern here is that there is not a mechanism to control run-away prices.

I've said it before, but I believe price transparency and competition (among hospitals, among drug companies, and even among physicians/providers) is necessary to both increase the quality of care, and drive down prices.

But I did include the publishing of prices as a criteria for being accepted into the MMFA system, as well as a protection mechanism for runaway prices, as someone is bound to want to undercut the competition to gain more volume.

So I propose MMFA (modified medicare for all), but the following change:
- re-imbursement rates for preventative care/checkups are 100% of the average of the PUBLISHED pricing for doctors/hospitals within a county. Prices exceeding 133% of the next neighboring county should trigger an audit for collusion.
- doctors/hospitals that accept MMFA needs to publish their prices to the MMFA system.
- elective procedures have a co-pay / coverage-limit
- medicare expense shortfalls should covered by the treasury (since the primary beneficiary, a healthy economy, is dependent on healthy citizens).

This way, MMFA isn't involved in the delivery of care, only the payment of it (much like insurance). You might still have a point about how inefficient MMFA is run, but the WH, Congress, and Supreme Courts are pretty inefficient too and we still pay for it.

So doctors who don't wish to receive those patients will have to depend on a potentially dwindling supply of patients.

As for drug prices, award the drug contracts based on a 60/30/10 ratio. Lowest bidder gets 60% of the orders, 2nd lowest gets 30%, 3rd gets 10% and none for the rest. Supply contracts should be reviewed/renewed at least bi-annually. That should preserve the manufacturing base with incentives to keep the prices down.

Since every wage earner already pays into medicare, might as well fund it correctly, so that they can ALL make use of it as well.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Only a small percentage of people need a ventilator. For someone that high up on the food chain the doctors are going to be overly cautious about everything health related. Boris Johnson is not recovering as fast as they would like to see, so they are being cautious and checking him out. I don't see any indication he's got a life threatening case.

The reddit thread about that article has almost 10,000 posts on it so far. They've been discussing 2 recent videos where he spoke of his condition and sounded short on breath.

They also mention he is overweight, he's old, and he had childhood pneumonia (which they imply make him higher than average risk)

Then this was posted suggesting he is on the part of the timeline where Sepsis and/or ARDS would kick in.

note, I'm not saying they are 100% correct, just trying to share a TL;DR style recap of the high points I saw in that thread. If the Prime Minister pulls through without hitting sepsis, ARDS, or needing to be ventilated you can mock me lightly and I'll take my shame. If he gets worse I won't shout I told you so, I'm not claiming any great insight.

Source from the lancet;

Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study - ScienceDirect

Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study

1-s2.0-S0140673620305663-gr1_lrg.jpg

Anyone else notice from the worldometers.info data, that Florida has had ZERO recovered cases of covid-19?! If you take the total cases, minus the deaths, minus the active cases, there's been no recoveries. CA is at 61, WA is at 490, and NY is at 4309 as of today.

Makes one wonder about whether or not we can even rely on the deaths tally out of Florida?

Florida is kicking ass, just not as much as California. If you compare cases per capita, Florida is way down there vs NJ, MI, PN, IL and others.

There might be hope yet. Today marks the first day that there had been ANY recovered cases in Florida - 100. Prior to today, all the worldometers' numbers were either active cases or dead.

I have to wonder if they would say at this point. Reportedly he still has a high fever. Likely admitted for lung scan and heart monitoriing. Wasn't he one of the guys like Trump also touting hydroxychloroquine?

I saw this updated CNN report on the continuing discussion about the appropriateness of this. Heated disagreement breaks out in Situation Room over hydroxychloroquine - CNNPolitics

It was reported that Trump said the US government had ordered 29M doses of hydroxychloroquine.

Last edited:
The reddit thread about that article has almost 10,000 posts on it so far. They've been discussing 2 recent videos where he spoke of his condition and sounded short on breath.

They also mention he is overweight, he's old, and he had childhood pneumonia (which they imply make him higher than average risk)

Then this was posted suggesting he is on the part of the timeline where Sepsis and/or ARDS would kick in.

note, I'm not saying they are 100% correct, just trying to share a TL;DR style recap of the high points I saw in that thread. If the Prime Minister pulls through without hitting sepsis, ARDS, or needing to be ventilated you can mock me lightly and I'll take my shame. If he gets worse I won't shout I told you so, I'm not claiming any great insight.

1-s2.0-S0140673620305663-gr1_lrg.jpg

Maybe he is at risk. The last PM to die in office died in 1865.

I have to wonder if they would say at this point. Reportedly he still has a high fever. Likely admitted for lung scan and heart monitoriing. Wasn't he one of the guys like Trump also touting hydroxychloroquine?

I saw this updated CNN report on the continuing discussion about the appropriateness of this. Heated disagreement breaks out in Situation Room over hydroxychloroquine - CNNPolitics

It was reported that Trump said the US government had ordered 29M doses of hydroxychloroquine.

@bkp_duke posted something earlier today that there is some evidence at least some of the people who are getting sickest with COVID-19 have multiple infections. If true, it's possible that hydroxychloroquine may help with some of the secondary infections and thus help overall. I'm just speculating here.

One of the side effects is it can affect the heart and COVID-19 can cause heart damage too. The antibiotic combined with hydrochloquine is also pretty hard on the body. The "cure" could turn out to be worse than the disease. We'll probably know one way or the other in a week or so.

China sees rise in asymptomatic cases and restricts some previous Epidemic Free residential zone as a result.

China sees rise in asymptomatic coronavirus cases

I think China doesn't do the same careful tracing as South Korea, relying more on quarantine.

Quarantine will bring out symptomatic cases within a few weeks, and if you quarantine each possibly asymptomatic person completely separately, then after some time the virus should die. (Although there might be exceptions in that case as well.)

However if you have the possibility of sequences of asymptomatic cases infecting each other, then no matter how long you wait, a certain number of infections may remain after any amount of time, if the group is large enough.

So if China isolates apartment buildings as a whole, then there will be a certain number of buildings in which by coincidence there are several asymptomatic cases that are slowly, step-by-step infecting each other, one after the other, so that even after several months, there can be infections remaining, by coincidence without anyone showing symptoms.

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt and erha