Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOTE: 600 passengers and 61 test positive.

10% positive. Hope the 61 worked together. If its 10% of random people thats SCARY.

Yep, no surprise as the phylodynamic approach linked earlier indicates a common ancestor around October 7th, give or take a couple weeks. Been spreading for a while so it’s everywhere.

We’ll see how the vaccines hold up. Seems likely based on current knowledge that they will take a big hit on infection prevention, while still protecting very well against serious disease (because T-cell epitopes elsewhere on the spike are still going to be present, and may be largely unchanged). This is all speculative of course. We’ll know more in a couple weeks.

But of course increased breakthroughs will also lead to more hospitalization & death in the vaccinated, even with these T-cell defenses intact - because the vulnerable really cannot get sick. Still, I definitely expect vaccinated people to fare much better than unvaccinated after controlling for these factors.

It’ll be interesting to see how the virulence works out. Maybe we’ll get lucky and just happen to end up with something less virulent or less provoking of the body’s damaging inflammatory response.

And maybe we’ll luck out and affinity maturation in boosted individuals actually does result in coverage of some of the new epitopes, in some individuals at least.

Reactions: madodel and msm859
Reactions: madodel
So I braved the grocery store tonight.

I don't know what she had but I'm in the frozen foods isle and someone walks around the corner with
  • no mask
  • puffy face
  • sniffles
  • and then sneezes about once every 30 seconds
And when I say sneeze these were strong sneezes that jerked her head around. Loud enough you could hear them from 50 feet away or further.

No tissues, no gloves, no mask, nothing to catch the sneezes (didn't sneeze into forearm), just shopping away clearly sick.

I don't know if she had the flu, covid, or a random virus that's less lethal than both of those, but I do know she shouldn't be in public spreading it like that.

If she doesn't have a spouse or close relative to take care of her while she is sick she should at the least make a big order and have it delivered to her house.

Stay at home at least until the sneezing stops and she has no fever.

NOTE: 600 passengers and 61 test positive.

10% positive. Hope the 61 worked together. If its 10% of random people thats SCARY.

Article says that only the positive test individuals were put in isolation.
I don’t know what the rules are for traveling to Netherlands right now. But, there should be mandatory quarantine on the rest of the passengers just as they do in parts of Asia.
I’m certain some of the 90% testing negative on arrival will test positive if retested in a few days.

☝️

The latest covid variant, Omicron originating from South Africa, impacting world markets and our very livelihood, show what happens when countries act independently instead of together for the common humanity. Here in Canada we are now issuing booster (3rd) vaccine shots while many countries, such as those in South Africa, have yet to distribute a single vaccine dose to the majority of their population. I've read Canada has discarded >1M doses of vaccine due to over supply and passing expiration dates. Even within each country the discord is great between those who feel vaccination is a societal necessessity, and those who feel vaccination as compromising individual freedom. We just can't seem to get it right. We need to act together, in unity, every country, everyone. Until then, covid and its distruction will prevail. The weakest link breaks the chain for all, so we must work together to strenghthen the weakest links.

The latest flooding and landslides in Canada's bookends of British Columbia bordering the Pacific Ocean, and the Atlantic Provinces, shows what happens when countries act independently instead of together for the common humanity. Until then, global environmental catastrophies will continue to accellerate at an alarming rate due to climate change caused by burning fossil fuels.

Do what you can to help those in need, especially those affected by covid and climate change. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Tesla is part of the solution. Tesla is acting for the common good, accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

We have about 150 million vaccines doses in this country that will expire next month.. sadly nobody seems to want them in the South, so I say take‘em and send them to South Africa, Tanzania and Botswana.

Re: The vaccination rate is so low because they have struggled to get the vaccine.
Re: Most of the vaccines available are lower quality than what is available in the developed world.
That doesn't appear to be the case. They've now have so many extra JnJ and Pfizer they had to stop the supply which is far outweighing the demand.

I had read that in most parts of Africa people are the most pro-vaccine (in general) in the world because they have seen what vaccines do for childhood diseases in the last 30 years. However I guess things are different in South Africa, at least for this vaccine. I stand corrected.

Anti vax doctors get covid after rally

“I have been on ivermectin for 16 months, my wife and I,” Dr Bruce Boros told the audience at the event held at the World Equestrian Center in Ocala, adding: “I have never felt healthier in my life.”

The 71-year-old cardiologist and staunch anti-vaccine advocate contracted Covid-19 two days later, according to the head event organizer, Dr John Littell.

He also said: “Everybody so far has responded to treatment with ivermectin … Bruce is doing well.”

The Beast said sources close to Boros said he was gravely ill at his Key West home.

So I braved the grocery store tonight.

I don't know what she had but I'm in the frozen foods isle and someone walks around the corner with
  • no mask
  • puffy face
  • sniffles
  • and then sneezes about once every 30 seconds
And when I say sneeze these were strong sneezes that jerked her head around. Loud enough you could hear them from 50 feet away or further.

No tissues, no gloves, no mask, nothing to catch the sneezes (didn't sneeze into forearm), just shopping away clearly sick.

I don't know if she had the flu, covid, or a random virus that's less lethal than both of those, but I do know she shouldn't be in public spreading it like that.

If she doesn't have a spouse or close relative to take care of her while she is sick she should at the least make a big order and have it delivered to her house.

Stay at home at least until the sneezing stops and she has no fever.
Allergies maybe

Anti vax doctors get covid after rally

You can't cure cults. People have to snap out of it - its like a bad nightmare.

Anyone wondering - whatever happened to people who joined jihadists and became terrorists. This is how it happens.

All good conspiracy theories have some arguments that "prove" that any anti-conspiracy statement is part of the conspiracy. Its like how creationists say God put those bones to test your faith.

Allergies maybe

If this had been a warmer month I would have said it was totally possible. This is the allergy capital of the world on some lists but we've already had a couple of hard freezes so the pollen level here is nil.

1638160106647.png

click on grass and weed and it says no reports, they literally don't even bother tracking it after a hard freeze.

So with no pollen to speak of, she would have to have just become allergic to something she hadn't identified yet and hadn't figured out how to control with antihistamines (or the modern equivalents that aren't technically antihistamines).

I mean this isn't like 30+ years ago when dimetapp and Chlor-Trimeton were your best options.

I've been taking one antihistamine or another my entire life and am allergic to pretty much every type of pollen. If pollen was an issue that day or that week I'd have noticed very quickly.

In a new thread, Trevor Bedford makes some very preliminary guesses about Omicron’s escape from prior immunity vs transmissibility.

He shows that if it has substantial immune escape it can spread faster than Delta even if it turns out to be less inherently transmissible (to those without any prior Covid antigen exposure). This is, of course, just speculation at the moment but it provides a useful way to think about the possible risks from the Omicron variant.