Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It completely sucks, but most cops simply do not see the humor in anything that might even remotely be construed as challenging their "authority". Be glad he didn't call for backup and started shooting up your car. While some cops are great and cool, you never know when you'll get an *******, and *******s with guns who believe they have the right to use it are not to be trifled with.

There was another story here of a person gunning it on a freeway on ramp with a cop near them - same result, they were pulled over, but in that case the cop just wanted to chat.

So yeah, totally within the law, and you would have been able to fight the unsafe start BS (but of course, not the driver's license thing), but it isn't worth the risk of a situation that spirals out of control.

This

Why would you do that?

I thought there was only a limit against a specific velocity (speed limit) not acceleration! :) I was never speeding!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats?:). Crazy story. Did you floor it or just normal quick start.

As I've ordered the 85D, I was keeping it in Sport mode (NOT the INSANE) mode. I did floor it though. He was so pissed when he came up to my window. It took every ounce of control in my body to not laugh.

I can't believe you did a max acceleration run (even in Sport mode that is very quick in a P85D) right next to a law enforcement officer on a surface street. That can easily be interpreted as reckless driving.

You are lucky the fine was relatively small.

Yeah . . . I'm so very lucky. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Do you also provoke rattlesnakes?

Why would buy these cars and not use them! Come on!?

- - - Updated - - -

This^^^^. I , too, am puzzled as to why you would do this especially since his lane was due to end and he had to shift. Does not reflect well on other Tesla owners/drivers.

And when you drive your car slowly, I feel THAT reflects poorly on other Tesla owner/drivers (LIKE ME).

To each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy Birthday.

Thanks! I appreciate that! The point of the OP was to share the fact that despite my every effort to be as courteous and polite and provide EVERY ounce of information, he still got it wrong. THAT is called Karma.

Related story of mine:
When my car was quite new I took it to a car wash and washed it by hand. Took a detour on the way home, to get the moisture off the brakes. It was late and no traffic so I floored it then put the car in N and did some hard braking. This way coming towards a roundabout. As I enter I see a cop car coming in to the same roundabout from opposite. Looking in the rear mirror I see him circling 360 and taking my exit. I drive carefully and he follows me all the way home. No lights or sirens, just following. Just as I slow down in front of my house he flashes his blue lights and they come up. (No guns - police officers here have guns in a locked compartment in the car but they must request armament from dispatch/command and this is only sometimes approved).
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yes officer, I accelerated a bit quickly before but I don't think I went too fast (I was doing at least twice the speed limit).
"You were going way too fast but I was unable to measure your speed. Your fine would have been in excess of 5000 NOK ($800)"
I explained about drying my brakes after the wash and apologizing at the same time. He seemed uninterested.
"Are you married?" He asks
"Uhm... Yes I am". Where is he going with this???
"Promise me you'll buy your wife a nice gift worth what the fine would have been. Drive safely. Good night"
Whew.

I did by my wife a nice wallet the next week when I was traveling :)

Reactions: Don TLR
With no wheel spinning and assuming you stayed under control and within your lane the entire time, I suspect he'd have a hard time selling this ticket to the judge.

That's how I felt too. Very subjective. No "burn-out" which is what the law actually says. He was just pissy because he lost - well, got his @$$ handed to him, actually.

It's a good thing I'm "only" getting the 85D. :cool:

In CA, you would have been cited for "exhibition of speed" CVC 23109. I assume each state has their own equivalent. What probably factored into you not getting a ticket is that the MS made no tire noise or engine noise and probably confused the cop or at least didn't piss him off like if you'd been in a Hellcat doing the same thing in which case you'd been hauled off to jail.

But seriously, you did this next to a cop? Did you think it wouldn't piss him off? If it was next to me and I could have pulled you over, I would have made up all kinds of crap and thrown the book at you.

It's too bad there's no such thing as a ticket for arrogant stupidity which is what you should have actually been cited for.

I think you win the award for doing what we've all thought about doing, but either knew better or were too nervous to do.

So congrats.

It's also additional proof that tickets should be proportional to income. That way the people with more clout can feel the pain of all the laws we have equally. The display of speed/unsafe-acceleration is meant to curb street racing. It's meant to crack down on people "showing off". It's also meant to prevent accidents at lights because people routinely run red lights after they've switched. So you have to give a bit of a buffer and slowly accelerate and then punch it. :)

I got pulled over years, and years ago for a display of speed and I was driving completely normal. Sure I wouldn't have done that had I seen the SUV cop behind me, but I didn't. I had an Audi S4 that had biturbo's and I was addicted to hearing them spool up. It was also on a 55mph highway (well okay 45mph, but then +5/+10 buffer before cops will bother with you).

I didn't feel it was unsafe, but I was 20 something at the time so pretty much nothing felt unsafe.

I don't feel as if it's a good law because enforcement various wildly. The OP didn't get a ticket for it, and I didn't get a ticket for it. I do know in other forums people do get tickets for it.

This law also fails to recognize improvements in technology. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an 85D or P85D pulled away from a stop under TACC control at roughly the same rate of acceleration as I was doing with a 2000 Audi S4 when I got pulled over.

Last edited:
In CA, you would have been cited for "exhibition of speed" CVC 23109. I assume each state has their own equivalent. What probably factored into you not getting a ticket is that the MS made no tire noise or engine noise and probably confused the cop or at least didn't piss him off like if you'd been in a Hellcat doing the same thing in which case you'd been hauled off to jail.

But seriously, you did this next to a cop? Did you think it wouldn't piss him off? If it was next to me and I could have pulled you over, I would have made up all kinds of crap and thrown the book at you.

It's too bad there's no such thing as a ticket for arrogant stupidity which is what you should have actually been cited for.

That's funny too! A ticket for "arrogant stupidity". I love it. I haven't gotten a ticket in years. Just the fact that he pulled me over was hilarious. Too much fun.

Here's the selfie I took while pulled over!
Pulled Over.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, the police in Drammen, Norway, are very reasonable and courteous. Yet another reason why I like Norway. 

Outside the US, the police are respectable, reasonable, level-headed, and approachable. I'll NOT say what I'm thinking about how they are here . . . cs

CVC 23109 also let's them immediately seize the vehicle and keep it for up to 30 days.

23109.2. (a) (1) Whenever a peace officer determines that a person
was engaged in any of the activities set forth in paragraph (2), the
peace officer may immediately arrest and take into custody that
person and may cause the removal and seizure of the motor vehicle
used in that offense in accordance with Chapter 10 (commencing with
Section 22650). A motor vehicle so seized may be impounded for not
more than 30 days.

Though in this case they'd release the car to Tesla immediately because of the following

(c) (1) Notwithstanding Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650)
or any other provision of law, an impounding agency shall release a
motor vehicle to the registered owner or his or her agent prior to
the conclusion of the impoundment period described in subdivision (a)
under any of the following circumstances:

(C) If the registered owner of the vehicle was neither the driver
nor a passenger of the vehicle at the time of the alleged violation
pursuant to subdivision (a), or was unaware that the driver was using
the vehicle to engage in any of the activities described in
subdivision (a).

I think you win the award for doing what we've all thought about doing, but either knew better or were too nervous to do.

So congrats.

It's also additional proof that tickets should be proportional to income. That way the people with more clout can feel the pain of all the laws we have equally. The display of speed/unsafe-acceleration is meant to curb street racing. It's meant to crack down on people "showing off". It's also meant to prevent accidents at lights because people routinely run red lights after they've switched. So you have to give a bit of a buffer and slowly accelerate and then punch it. :)

I got pulled over years, and years ago for a display of speed and I was driving completely normal. Sure I wouldn't have done that had I seen the SUV cop behind me, but I didn't. I had an Audi S4 that had biturbo's and I was addicted to hearing them spool up. It was also on a 55mph highway (well okay 45mph, but then +5/+10 buffer before cops will bother with you).

I didn't feel it was unsafe, but I was 20 something at the time so pretty much nothing felt unsafe.

I don't feel as if it's a good law because enforcement various wildly. The OP didn't get a ticket for it, and I didn't get a ticket for it. I do know in other forums people do get tickets for it.

This law also fails to recognize improvements in technology. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an 85D or P85D pulled away from a stop under TACC control at roughly the same rate of acceleration as I was doing with a 2000 Audi S4 when I got pulled over.

Did anyone actually read the post? I didn't get the ticket. The deputy was so ignorant that he wrote it for the wrong guy!

Although I could probably walk away from this without doing a thing, I will be rectifying it on Tuesday and paying my $10 administrative fee.