Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cop Pulls Tesla Model 3 Driver Over For 'Computer' Mounted On Dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Begs to ask the question if giant integrated touchscreens in cars will be treated differently than smartphones for stuff like navigation. You can't manipulate your phone while driving. Same should apply to these touchscreen stuff - distracted driving.

Begs to ask the question if giant integrated touchscreens in cars will be treated differently than smartphones for stuff like navigation. You can't manipulate your phone while driving. Same should apply to these touchscreen stuff - distracted driving.
I suppose, but wouldn't that be the case if you were adjusting "real" radio knobs or AC controls, etc.. in an older car??

Reliable voice control is the answer as far as I'm concerned. "Tesla, set temperature to 70 degrees", "Turn on wipers", etc... my Google phone already does a really good job with voice commands.

as has been pointed out elsewhere. Most patrol cars have laptops fixed to the dash.
So the laws where made with exclusions for some but not others.
Makes you think that it really isn't the distraction its made out to be. . . .
I don't see how making it an electronic device makes it more distracting that a dashboard covered in in buttons

Reactions: swaltner
as has been pointed out elsewhere. Most patrol cars have laptops fixed to the dash.
So the laws where made with exclusions for some but not others.
Makes you think that it really isn't the distraction its made out to be. . . .
I don't see how making it an electronic device makes it more distracting that a dashboard covered in in buttons

Cops are only supposed to be using it when parked. They always obey the rules you know.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I find the speedometer (on any car) distracting. They should just make them optional, as well as the speed limits that require us to look at them -- and cause people to panic break when they see cop cars. We'd all be a lot safer if they just stopped all that ticketing, and watching the speedometer instead of the traffic conditions around you and driving appropriately.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened before and more often. While there are some car enthusiast cops, of all the ones I've met, none were of the electric car variety. Generally just trucks and sports cars.

Most distracted driving rules are pretty broad. I was gonna write more, but it got convoluted. Basically, what the law says you can get a ticket for is very different from what you actually will. Depends on jurisdiction, but cops often have written exceptions made and even if they don't, unless they actually crash, they have other fall back "protections" such as "reasonableness" for their job. And yes, the blue line is very real, which is probably the biggest factor of all.