Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converter 400V 3x16A > 240V 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not for 230 V single phase, but as far as I know it doesn't have a three phase charger at all. If it gets one, I would guess that it would take 400 V only, but of course, if it could handle 230 V three phase too then that would be awesome.
are you talking about a 3-phse to single phase transformer? this would be to heavy. the problem is not overnight charging, the problem is charging while traveling. You have to use the onboard-charger. Thats make you boring while you can charge on single phase with 32A while the socket offers 3-phase but you cannot make use out of this.

2 phase from 3 phase:
Scott-T transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
333px-Scott-T.JPG

Last edited:
We went around this stuff a couple of years ago. That doesn't work.
haha... ok thanks. I thought it looked like nonsense, because all the vectors would add to zero. But I'm always willing to accept that I might be missing something, if I'm not willing to spend the time to think hard about it.

Off the top of my head what would work is L1 to L2 on one primary then L3 to L2 on another. Then the secondaries would be in series. So that's like reflecting one vector about the x-axis and adding it to the first. It still ends up being a bit imbalanced since I2=I1+I3, but the total power you can draw for a given maximum allowable imbalance is likely higher.

No, the zip contains a collection of different ideas and diagrams... Maybe something that actually works there. Odd if those forums are full of efforts to describe non-working designs.

By the way, there is always the option to have a big 3phase AC motor shaft connected to a DC generator on the other side.
Plus it only needs to start up while someone is doing a quick charge session...

We went around this before. There is no way of getting a single one phase output with balanced three phase input using just transformers. The best you can do is 2:1:1 on the input. Believe me, I researched the problem when we were building the HPC network as it would have made life a lot easier if a cost effective solution existed. I called many of the bespoke transformer manufacturers in the UK at the time.

Motor generators are one option that is used, but they are heavy, noisy and inefficient.

The best way to do this is with power electronics and rectify to DC as an intermediate stage.

We went around this before. There is no way of getting a single one phase output with balanced three phase input using just transformers. The best you can do is 2:1:1 on the input. Believe me, I researched the problem when we were building the HPC network as it would have made life a lot easier if a cost effective solution existed. I called many of the bespoke transformer manufacturers in the UK at the time.

Motor generators are one option that is used, but they are heavy, noisy and inefficient.

The best way to do this is with power electronics and rectify to DC as an intermediate stage.
So, I you'd do this while having a Model S, you would feed that DC to the car :) But, the Model S will have native 3-phase charging support (*kugh*), so no need for any external stuff.

But, the motor / generator idea, I see this being used in datacenters often. Instead of having battery backed up UPS systems, they use a BIG (900kW) electric motor a HEAVY flywheel and a generator in the same shaft. When the power fails, the kinetic energy in the flywheel will give power for a couple of minutes before the diesel generator kicks in. They claim to have a 98% efficiency, so wouldn't that be possible? Instead of having a AC generator, use a DC generator?

...the kinetic energy in the flywheel will give power for a couple of minutes before the diesel generator kicks in. They claim to have a 98% efficiency...

I think typically it is under a minute...

One data center I worked in years ago had something like that.

Along with switching over to backup generator, they can also save you from system resets during short "brown outs."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think typically it is under a minute...

One data center I worked in years ago had something like that.

Along with switching over to backup generator, they can also save you from system resets during short "brown outs."

That of course depends on the load you are putting on the system. I thought it was somewhere around 3 minutes. Enough time for the generator to kick in. If it doesn't start within 3 minutes, it won't start.

Internal or external, you still need stuff.
True, but that will be AC -> DC, not AC 3p -> AC 1p

Last edited by a moderator: