Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental Silent 5p tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would appreciate any updates from those who are running the Conti Silent 21's on wear and noise. Will need a new set in a couple of months and seriously thinking of this tire. Thanks.

I have the Conti Silent 21's on an S85D. 10,000 miles, tire tread at 6/32s, or 50% of life. Noise is not bad, but felt comparable to the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on my P85D loaner I had for 5 days. I have not had the chance to compare to Conti ExtremeContact DW. Those may be my next choice because they should last 30,000 miles instead of 20,000. I drive mostly Bay Area highways.

- K

I have the Conti Silent 21's on an S85D. 10,000 miles, tire tread at 6/32s, or 50% of life. Noise is not bad, but felt comparable to the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on my P85D loaner I had for 5 days. I have not had the chance to compare to the Conti ExtremeContact DW. Those may be my next choice because they should last 30,000 miles instead of 20,000. I drive mostly Bay Area highways.

- K
Thanks for the info, the only thing I can tell you about the extreme contact is with 8000 miles they are very noisy. When I had a P85+ as a loaner with Michelins pilots with 10700 miles they were much less noisy. I probably will be lucky to get another 4000 miles on the Conti's. The tires are wearing evenly but the service center says they are cupped, not sure why that is. My new set of tires will not be the extreme contact tires.

Merill,

Thanks for that feedback. Maybe I should try to request a loaner next time with the Conti DWs before I make that choice. I just hate the idea of having such an eco-friendly car and grinding through tires every 15-20k.

If you have cupping, it could be an over-inflation/under-inflation issue ... could be alignment too. I'm surprised the service center didn't help advise a solution.

On my S85D, all tire wear is exactly even except the front driver side outer edge is wearing a tiny tiny 0.5/32 faster per 10,000 miles, probably because of right-turning clovers and off-ramps. I am measuring using my own tire gauge.

- K

Merill,

Thanks for that feedback. Maybe I should try to request a loaner next time with the Conti DWs before I make that choice. I just hate the idea of having such an eco-friendly car and grinding through tires every 15-20k.

If you have cupping, it could be an over-inflation/under-inflation issue ... could be alignment too. I'm surprised the service center didn't help advise a solution.

On my S85D, all tire wear is exactly even except the front driver side outer edge is wearing a tiny tiny 0.5/32 faster per 10,000 miles, probably because of right-turning clovers and off-ramps. I am measuring using my own tire gauge.

- K
I have not had any tire inflation issues, check them regularly also the R/R toe was a bit out but they say all tires are cupped. No solution given except to buy new tires to eliminate the noise. I do ride with the suspension in the low setting.

I read somewhere on this forum that someone had installed the Continental Silent 5p tires on there Model S. I have 21's with Conti extreme contact and they are starting to get noisy. Wonder if the above are any better as they wear.
I got them last week and they are very quiet. Not sure if they are round though. The car vibrates at highway speed now. Will probably have them re balanced this week

I have not had any tire inflation issues, check them regularly also the R/R toe was a bit out but they say all tires are cupped. No solution given except to buy new tires to eliminate the noise. I do ride with the suspension in the low setting.

Unfortunately, one tires develop an odd wear pattern, it's almost impossible to get them right again. (Sometimes if you flip the tires on the wheel it can help--success rate is low though. If you try this, be sure to do all four--not just one or two.) Prevention is to do an early first rotation so every tire gets a chance on the drive axle, and make sure the pressure never, ever falls below the vehicle placard pressure--success rate is high assuming no mechanical problems such as bearings.

Unfortunately, one tires develop an odd wear pattern, it's almost impossible to get them right again. (Sometimes if you flip the tires on the wheel it can help--success rate is low though. If you try this, be sure to do all four--not just one or two.) Prevention is to do an early first rotation so every tire gets a chance on the drive axle, and make sure the pressure never, ever falls below the vehicle placard pressure--success rate is high assuming no mechanical problems such as bearings.
Thanks Jerry, will do that on my next set and make sure the pressures are always at spec.

Just got the Conti silent 5 installed at the local service center today and "OMG, are these tires quite. Granted mine were very noisy at only 10,000 miles but cannot believe this is the same car. Will see how they do once I get some miles on them, but for now it is so quite inside the car. As we were driving home my wife asked me if there was a window partially opened and I checked because we could hear the air outside then realized it was so quite inside that we could hear everything.

Just got the Conti silent 5 installed at the local service center today and "OMG, are these tires quite. Granted mine were very noisy at only 10,000 miles but cannot believe this is the same car. Will see how they do once I get some miles on them, but for now it is so quite inside the car. As we were driving home my wife asked me if there was a window partially opened and I checked because we could hear the air outside then realized it was so quite inside that we could hear everything.
how many miles did you get on your original Conti Extremes? i'm at 16,500 and just got a nail in 1 and debating replacing all four with the Conti Silent. my Extremes 21" also became very noisy well before 10,000 miles, maybe around 7,000-8,000 miles. so i'm trying to figure out what to do.

i could just patch the tire for now and try to eek out a few more miles (i was hoping to get to 20k), but i don't know if it's worth the trouble. some of my tread depths are at 3/32-4/32 in the worst areas, and definitely some excess inside wear showing up ...

- - - Updated - - -

also, are these the ones you ended up with? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toYear=2012&autoModel=Model S&autoModClar=P85

it says Sport Contact but then in size/description says ContiSilent. just want to confirm!

how many miles did you get on your original Conti Extremes? i'm at 16,500 and just got a nail in 1 and debating replacing all four with the Conti Silent. my Extremes 21" also became very noisy well before 10,000 miles, maybe around 7,000-8,000 miles. so i'm trying to figure out what to do.

i could just patch the tire for now and try to eek out a few more miles (i was hoping to get to 20k), but i don't know if it's worth the trouble. some of my tread depths are at 3/32-4/32 in the worst areas, and definitely some excess inside wear showing up ...

- - - Updated - - -

also, are these the ones you ended up with? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toYear=2012&autoModel=Model S&autoModClar=P85

it says Sport Contact but then in size/description says ContiSilent. just want to confirm!
Yes, they are the same. The 5p are staggered so they are the sport contact 5 and although my tires were not totally worn out tread wise somehow they becamed cupped and very noisy at around 8000 miles and replaced them at 10,000. Could not stand the noise, so far and I probably have less than a 1000 miles on the silents they are so quite. It remains to be seen if they will stay quite and how they will wear.

Yes, they are the same. The 5p are staggered so they are the sport contact 5 and although my tires were not totally worn out tread wise somehow they becamed cupped and very noisy at around 8000 miles and replaced them at 10,000. Could not stand the noise, so far and I probably have less than a 1000 miles on the silents they are so quite. It remains to be seen if they will stay quite and how they will wear.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info.

We've got 30,000 miles on our 21's and I think we will go with the ContiSilents in about 2 weeks. I have heard reports that should you ever have a flat on them some tire shops balk at patching the tire. Any reported issues with tire failure and repair?

Have them and love them. I ran over a large bolt and Les Schwab did not know how to repair it so I took it to Discount Tire and they repaired, they said it was very simple. They are no different that any other tire with silent foam. Many tire companies make tires with foam.

I would appreciate any updates from those who are running the Conti Silent 21's on wear and noise. Will need a new set in a couple of months and seriously thinking of this tire. Thanks.

On 4/7/15 Tesla Dania Beach installed 4 new Conti Silent 21's on my Tesla at 37,214 miles with 9/32 tread depth. A few days ago, on 9/11/15 and 42,426 miles, Tesla Tampa measured 3/32 on both rear tires and 7/32 on both front tires. The rear's went down from 9/32 to 3/32 in just 5,212 miles. I'm going to rotate the tires front to rear but I guess in no more than 10,000 miles I have to replace all 4 again. While they are considerably less noisy, the wear is awful in my mind. I'm going to put Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 back on which I had before. The different noise level does NOT justify the price difference. You can buy those 21's at discountedwheelwarehouse.com for $191.92 each and get a $80 mail-in rebate from Hankook if you purchase 4 before 9/30/15.

Last edited:
Miemrich, I think your wear is highly abnormal. I have the ContiSilent 5S's and I'm at 6/32 after 19,000 miles. It's pretty even all the way around, and L/Mid/R are all within +/1 1/32 too. I think I'll safely get 30,000 miles out of them easy, maybe more. You may want top check alignment and balancing.

I recently had a P85+ for 2 days with the Michelin Pilot Sports and it's a lot noisier than the ContiSilents.

- K

On 4/7/15 Tesla Dania Beach installed 4 new Conti Silent 21's on my Tesla at 37,214 miles with 9/32 tread depth. A few days ago, on 9/11/15 and 42,426 miles, Tesla Tampa measured 3/32 on both rear tires and 7/32 on both front tires. The rear's went down from 9/32 to 3/32 in just 5,212 miles. I'm going to rotate the tires front to rear but I guess in no more than 10,000 miles I have to replace all 4 again. While they are considerably less noisy, the wear is awful in my mind. I'm going to put Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 back on which I had before. The different noise level does NOT justify the price difference. You can buy those 21's at discountedwheelwarehouse.com for $191.92 each and get a $80 mail-in rebate from Hankook if you purchase 4 before 9/30/15.

FWIW some of the tread depth gauges can measure differently because each tech likely has a different gauge they apply different force. I would suggest getting a gauge and check the readings yourself. OR you could stop accelerating/excessive passing ;). For your fronts to be at 7/32 and rears to be at 3/32 that tells me you like to have some fun!