Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: "The electric car that shatters every myth"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I wouldn't expect them to treat it differently, as I always think of CR as fair and un-biased.

I suspect that you mean this is the first EV that can be treated like, and compared to, an ICE car.

Sort of. It just struck me that CR is lumping the Model S in with every other car out there. And it's apparently impressing the hell out of them.

Sort of. It just struck me that CR is lumping the Model S in with every other car out there. And it's apparently impressing the hell out of them.

Both the recent jump seat article just published and this video clearly indicate that CR gets it. They're super-impressed. Can't wait to see their full review, just wish they gave some notice when the full complete review will be published.

I have found that when I don't have a 'trash can' I don't leave trash in my car. I find it much better than always having a full 'trash can'.

Gone are the days of my red plastic pint glass / trash can in the door cup holder. And in are the days of a clutter free interior.

There has to be a dissertation-worthy study in this somewhere. There are virtually no public trash cans in London and the city is relatively clean. Whenever I'm there I find myself helplessly carrying a coffee cup around for half an hour. There are trash cans every 100 metres in Paris, and one often finds trash on the ground. What gives?

My new mantra is that electric cars (Teslas specifically) will need their own category Not because they fuel efficient and "worth a mention" but because they are so superior they need to be put in their own league. EVs will be the new standard ICEs will be compared up to.

There has to be a dissertation-worthy study in this somewhere. There are virtually no public trash cans in London and the city is relatively clean. Whenever I'm there I find myself helplessly carrying a coffee cup around for half an hour. There are trash cans every 100 metres in Paris, and one often finds trash on the ground. What gives?

The reason for the lack of public rubbish bins in London is that around 25 years ago a particular terrorist group had the tiresome habit of depositing explosives in them, particularly the ones in places like railway stations. The authorities reacted by removing the bins, and don't seem much inclined to bring them back despite more recent terrorists favouring different tactics.

My perception was that litter got worse around that time, but has since improved. Possibly more is being spent on street cleaning.

Assuming 15mpg, she's used 10k gallons. Unless she's buying Evian gasoline, it's more likely she's spent $30,000 - $40,000. Still, it's an insane amount of fuel and money to burn for one vehicle.

And I'll buy that bridge someone is selling in the Sahara when I see a Lincoln Navigator actually getting 15mpg. Both our Honda Odyssey and BMW 535GT tend to get around 15mpg overall, and they are both much lighter cars with smaller engines.

Soflason that is very encouraging :smile:

while not nearly as dramatic as that tease, the first minute of this video from Consumer Reports released last week confirms that with the report is in "the pipeline", it's almost ready, and they are very impressed with the car. As the one CR guy who did the commenting about the S said, "the car is really remarkable."

Talking Cars: Our latest show covers Tesla, small SUVs, and a sideways track tour

note Tesla does not come up again in the discussion after this.

Here's a snapshot from the iPad version of the CR June issue. Sweet!

CR-june13.jpg

Last edited:
@vfx: I see it now. Wonder why it didn't jump out at me before?

@ArnoldPanz: Lighting and shooting cars is one of those areas of expertise that is a lot harder than it looks. I've watched it being done by an expert: it takes a lot of time and finesse...and a big investment in lighting gear and studio space.