Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports reliability of Model S - worse than average

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a strange statement. Consumer Reports is about the only source I trust for ratings of any kind because they don't accept advertising revenue from anyone. Their ratings are honest, factual, and based on actual data.

See my rationale above. I think they're fine for toasters, but I could never make sense of their auto ratings. I used to subscribe, but cancelled years ago over this. (I don't even agree with the Tesla 103 score. Makes no sense. How can a car be better than perfect even though the review cites certain shortcomings?)

I think that what owners have to say about their cars is often "tainted" by their personal perceptions about the car, the brand, the mission of the automaker (in Tesla's case) and any number of other factors. I grew up with a friend who thought Toyota's were perfect in spite of the fact that he had far more failures and problems than I did with similar cars from other makers. If he and I were to rate his car, we would have had completely different takes on it. Maybe this works out in the wash over thousands of reviews and maybe it doesn't. I can remember seeing identical "badge engineered" cars that were popular in the '80s and '90s (Dodges and Plymouths for example) having completely different reliability ratings, yet the cars were identical save for the nameplate in every way. Came right off the same assembly line made with the same parts by the same workers. How can that be? Probably because Dodge owners had different expectations than Plymouth owners.

You do realize that CR surveyed 1,400 owners right? Whatever selection/owner bias you talk about would affect other car manufacturers as well.

I think the takeaway from this report is to highly consider ensuring the car is always under warranty.

IMHO the only way for Tesla to diffuse this situation is with a comprehensive extended warranty option for new and CPO cars without a $200 per incident deductible. Otherwise few if any would want to own a Model S out of warranty and that will affect resale values substantially.

I have my MS for 10 months now with 30K miles. So far, the only issue I had is the drive unit and Tesla replaced the DU for free. No issue with the body, rattles and squeaks so I'm a happy camper. But this is good information to know. As consumers, it's nice to know the good and the bad then weight it out if Tesla is the right car. For me, it is.

CR is not the only thing that's affecting the movement of TSLA stock. Lots of movers and shakers. For the real investors out there, they know that it's a great time to buy the stock.

Not sure how they do there surveys, I have had my car over 2 1/2 years with very little problems compared to my ICE cars and the problems that I have had have been taken care of. What car out there has no problems, I was in the car business on the service side and over 25 years saw all kinds of issues. You never heard from the owners that had very few problems. Plus remember this is not a car based on 50 to 100 years of history with many manufactures doing the same thing all those years. Most of the Model S is very new technology and not many years of refinement.

I think it's fair and really the only thing they can do to stay within their standard. I have an early 2012 Model S and it has been in for LOTs of various repairs. Nothing catastrophic, but if I had kept a list it would be pretty long and would look aweful to an outside viewer. But that alone doesn't tell the whole story. I knew up front that I was an early adopter and would likely have various issues that can only be sussed out when there are thousands of cars being driven for tens of thousands of miles. I had similar, though fewer, issues with my 2nd gen early release 2004 Prius. I think that the huge majority of those minor issues have been worked out (the drive unit issues maybe being the exception). In 2 years I think we'll see that the 2015 reliability ratings are quite good. It's a brand new company doing their first mass market vehicle, to expect Volvo level reliability is not realistic.

BUT, do you put any stock in what 1400 MS owners have to say about their cars?

Well... yes I do. And I also put some stock in CR also measured that Tesla owners would buy another one to the tune of 97%, far higher than the next manufacturer (the details escape me...). Of course my view is also coloured by my car's very good track record (touch wood).

I totally believe it...

4 months of ownership, going to be in the shop 3 times
1. Door handle doesn't open. Steering scroll wheel unresponsive
2. Parking sensors TSB and center armrest screw fell out.
3. Both headlights and both fog lights, fogged from the inside.

Not sure how they do there surveys, I have had my car over 2 1/2 years with very little problems compared to my ICE cars and the problems that I have had have been taken care of.

I'm very happy with my Tesla, so please don't take this the wrong way but... I've probably had more problems and issues with mine in 2.5 years than the combined total of every other car I've own prior to the Model S. But as you say, Tesla service has bent over backwards to get me fixed up and on my way.

We have had our Model S for about 6 months now. Simply the best car we have ever had. Thing is since we spent close to $100K we have nitpicked and keep a list of little things that warranty will cover. Similiar to things on our other cars in the past (Mercedes, BM, Lexus included) we have lived with and frankly the dealers would push back on. None of the issue would be reliability problems. Things like the arm rest on the driver side had a screw loose that I couldnt get to to tighten, things like one of the key fobs was faulty. Nothing to rush in for service for, but once we have enough items we will drop the car off for a quick service.

So, to be clear--when CR was praising the hell out of the Model S, everyone was ecstatic. Why weren't we all trashing them then?

You are right. Part of the reason I bought mine was based on CR's "best car ever" rating and I suspect current prospective buyers will be hesitant due to this report. They were right back then and are probably right now (not sure). I'm also a TSLA investor...this is not good but I'm confident the company will put people at ease quickly.

I'm very happy with my Tesla, so please don't take this the wrong way but... I've probably had more problems and issues with mine in 2.5 years than the combined total of every other car I've own prior to the Model S. But as you say, Tesla service has bent over backwards to get me fixed up and on my way.

+1. I love my Tesla and wouldn't want to drive any other car, but it's been far less reliable than my previous cars (both Acuras). It's Tesla Service that has kept me as a customer despite all the problems.

You are right. Part of the reason I bought mine was based on CR's "best car ever" rating and I suspect current prospective buyers will be hesitant due to this report. They were right back then and are probably right now (not sure). I'm also a TSLA investor...this is not good but I'm confident the company will put people at ease quickly.

True. Picked up some more shares at this nice new low today :)

2.5 yrs ownership, 89k miles. on my 4th drive unit. this one making milling sound already, so will need a 5th drive unit. also had a 'car needs service' error yesterday so who knows what that is yet. i've had all of the common issues (and there are LOTS of them, so many its just too long of a list to keep reiterating but is the same issues talked about all over the forums). out of warranty so far about $1400 total for new TPMS sensors, lug nuts, and upper control links. That doesn't include about $3k on tires and $2k on annual services. is CR right in pulling it due to reliability concerns? due to my own experience and pretty much every Tesla owner I know and all of our multiple drive unit replacements, I'd say yes CR is correct in saying that it is below average in reliability. i'm not concerned with all the little issues, but these drive unit replacements are killing them (and a major annoyance to us owners). so between drive units, bad/struck contactors, excessively worn bearings on upper control links, door handle issues, and now the bubble issues people are seeing in the main center console screen, yes all of those should not occur and I'd say the car isn't really that great in reliability. i'd say its reliable if none of those issues occurred but those are all kind of big and expensive repairs. fortunately the drive unit and battery related ones are covered under the 8yr/unlimited mile warranty. if it wasn't for that warranty, I would have sold my car since I would not be able to afford the repairs.

regardless, still love my car and not having to pay for gas :)