Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When will WiFi be enabled? (for Tethering and lack of 3G coverage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Telsa is motivated to offer Wifi too. Higher throughput for firmware updates, and it offloads data from 3G which they might be paying for. I wouldn't be surprised if it is in their contract with ATT.

Once we are required to pay for a data plan, I'm hoping we are given the choice of selecting a network provider, as the Death Star coverage in our area is abysmal, and calling them in the past only resulted in a microcell, they aren't about to expand their network here. So we switched to Verizon at the first opportunity, and have had great coverage at home since.

Well, that is until the S arrived, which is on the Death Star network! ARRRGGGH!

If we have to pay for data, I really hope we can pick the provider! When purchasing a tablet, you can select your provider, why not the same choices for a 100k car?

If we have to pay for data, I really hope we can pick the provider! When purchasing a tablet, you can select your provider, why not the same choices for a 100k car?

The tablet manufacturer has to make 2 different tablets. One for Verizon, and the other for the rest. The cellular hardware is very different.

I suspect Tesla will go straight GSM.

The tablet manufacturer has to make 2 different tablets. One for Verizon, and the other for the rest. The cellular hardware is very different.

I suspect Tesla will go straight GSM.
The hardware differences aren't my concern, that is a problem for Tesla.

If that means they need to include hardware for all potential cellular providers with each vehicle, that is a minute fraction of the total cost of the vehicle.

I don't want excuses, I want a cellular connection that actually works.

The hardware differences aren't my concern, that is a problem for Tesla.

If that means they need to include hardware for all potential cellular providers with each vehicle, that is a minute fraction of the total cost of the vehicle.

I don't want excuses, I want a cellular connection that actually works.

I've got half a dozen providers in my area - and none work - so not an issue for me. I suspect for Tesla it would add a thousand dollars to the sticker price to do two cellular systems.

I've got half a dozen providers in my area - and none work - so not an issue for me. I suspect for Tesla it would add a thousand dollars to the sticker price to do two cellular systems.

Apple uses a single chip that supports GSM and CDMA. The only differences now I believe are GSM bands and the antennas. Tesla could build one version that would support all the carriers in the US. They would likely want a different version for EU with different antennas. Although there is overlap between the US and EU; it just depends on the carriers.

Last edited:
Apple uses a single chip that supports GSM and CDMA. The only differences now I believe are GSM bands and the antennas. Tesla could built one version that would support all the carriers in the US. They would likely want a different version for EU with different antennas. Although there is overlap between the US and EU; it just depends on the carriers.

Yep, things are getting easier, but the Telit/Simcom style all-in-one modules are still lagging behind even now. Remember that they built this 2+ years ago. They must have locked things down at least a year ago. I guess we'll know in a month or so.

Andrewket, that is not entirely accurate. Apple uses two different modems in their products. One supports, in the U.S., ATT (via GSM) on 3G only and Verizon (via CDMA) on 3G and LTE. The second suppots ATT (via GSM) on 3G and LTE. I am not certain whether the Verizon chipset will allow HSPA operation on ATT. The Tegra chipset in the Tesla supports HSPA, and there us some hope that the Tesla will receive a software update to enable this feature.

Andrewket, that is not entirely accurate. Apple uses two different modems in their products. One supports, in the U.S., ATT (via GSM) on 3G only and Verizon (via CDMA) on 3G and LTE. The second suppots ATT (via GSM) on 3G and LTE. I am not certain whether the Verizon chipset will allow HSPA operation on ATT. The Tegra chipset in the Tesla supports HSPA, and there us some hope that the Tesla will receive a software update to enable this feature.

I think it would have to be new hardware. The Tegra 3 only supports 3G. The Tegra 4 supports LTE. Hopefully, the modem is removable.

I think it would have to be new hardware. The Tegra 3 only supports 3G. The Tegra 4 supports LTE. Hopefully, the modem is removable.

As I understand it, Tegra 3 does not contain a modem, and there's nothing stopping it from being paired with an external LTE modem. It may or may not have the speed to fully utilize an LTE connection, but I suspect it can utilize data faster than it is getting it from 3G.