Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut OK's Tesla Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do these people (and Teslarati) actually not know how sales tax works in CT? Seriously?

It DOES NOT MATTER where you buy the car, MA, NY or anywhere else (except maybe California).. CT still charges you full sales tax on the deal when you register the car. Neither MA nor NY states will charge you their sales tax if you are titling and registering the car in CT. CT still gets that tax revenue. I bought my P85+ in NY and P85D in MA. Paid no tax to either state, but surely paid CT sales tax on both.

I know that's counter to the "let Tesla sell in CT" argument, but the sales tax argument is flat out wrong.
Actually, the article is pretty accurate. MA and CA requires sales tax to be collected on any vehicle sold (in addition to registered) in the state, regardless of the buyer's state of residence and where the car is to be registered (this is different than most states, which only charge sales tax if the car is registered in that state). If the seller doesn't have a sales tax license to collect it, the buyer is supposed to go to the Dept of Revenue and pay it (fat chance). I've been bitten by this a few times in the past buying cars, trailers, and boats in MA as a CT or NH resident.

Tesla is supposed to collect MA tax of 6.25% if you pick up the car in Dedham. CT will give you a dollar-for-dollar credit towards the CT sales tax of 6.35% and charge you the remaining 0.10%. So a CT pickup would net CT the full 6.35%.

This is why they started delivering cars to buyers in NE states with lower (or no) sales tax - How do NH deliveries work?