Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut OK's Tesla Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if tesla has taken an official position on the ct bill? While it does allow sales in the state it does restrict the company to 3 sales centers and hurts any future tesla like car company.

My understanding is that Tesla is comfortable with this compromise. They are trying to get stores located in Greenwich, Milford and West Hartford. Given the size of our state, 3 company stores should be sufficient. What will be needed is more service center capacity if and when Model 3 takes off. I don't think service centers are restricted by CT.

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla
In case this gets missed by New England forum members, here is a link to a thread posted earlier today by Bonnie. Commentary on the pro-Tesla bill being proposed in CT. The replies are worth reading. The first comment is from Stevens Ford, a dealer in Milford. No surprise, he doesn't appear to be very EV friendly. A quick search of their inventory showed no signs of a Ford Focus Electric or even a Level 2 charger.

"Pro-Tesla bill brings promise of investment in Connecticut"

Very late edit here: that link is from when the bill came up during last year's legislative session. This year's bill has not yet passed the house or senate but did get out of the transportation committee by a vote of 29-4

I also believe this year's bill does not limit the amount of tesla stores like last year's does

Very late edit here: that link is from when the bill came up during last year's legislative session. This year's bill has not yet passed the house or senate but did get out of the transportation committee by a vote of 29-4

I also believe this year's bill does not limit the amount of tesla stores like last year's does

Does the bill need to get through the house again or does last year's vote carry? I thought we only needed the Senate to vote now, but perhaps this isn't correct.

Looks like there are a handful of Republican Senators who are voting against SB3 or undecided (word is the dealership lobby is out in full force). I have a more general forum thread (because everyone can help amplify the message) over here: Tesla Sales in CT - Yes, you can help. , with the names of the Senators and their contact information.

Thanks for posting. Here is a related Teslarati article published yesterday.

Tesla continues fight in Connecticut three years in a row over right to sell direct

Apparently that new Greenwich CT gallery has really gotten under the skin of Jim Fleming, president of CARA. "“They are illegally selling cars out of that location in Greenwich”. Too bad for Jim, it's all but certain that no financial transactions are happening in Greenwich. Here's another prize quote. “They have great political influence. Their CEO, as you know, serves on the new president’s economic council in Washington, D.C. They want to compete with a local car dealer, who is tiny compared to a multinational corporation.”

Curious to see if Tesla will again propose a CT based Northeast parts distribution center. As far as I'm aware, for close to a year now, no news has surfaced about CT or other possible locations.

Could the misleading thread title be edited? Tesla can not sell in Connecticut. The bill is trying to allow that. This thread title was from two years ago and was misleading even then. It was referring to a similar bill passed one house, but it didn't become law so Connecticut never "OK'd" Tesla sales.

Thanks for posting. Here is a related Teslarati article published yesterday.

Tesla continues fight in Connecticut three years in a row over right to sell direct

Apparently that new Greenwich CT gallery has really gotten under the skin of Jim Fleming, president of CARA. "“They are illegally selling cars out of that location in Greenwich”. Too bad for Jim, it's all but certain that no financial transactions are happening in Greenwich. Here's another prize quote. “They have great political influence. Their CEO, as you know, serves on the new president’s economic council in Washington, D.C. They want to compete with a local car dealer, who is tiny compared to a multinational corporation.”

Curious to see if Tesla will again propose a CT based Northeast parts distribution center. As far as I'm aware, for close to a year now, no news has surfaced about CT or other possible locations.

yeah i wonder what evidence or what Jim Flemming is referring to when he says sales are being made at the Greenwich location. I'm not saying this happens but maybe he is speculating that customers are purchasing their cars via the internet on the locations wifi/ipad? I would imagine this isn't allowed at that the Tesla staff closely controls this.

I know I once called the milford location and they wouldn't even tell me how much it was to put a deposit down on the Model 3 (this was before the $1000 figure was announced) and said that I could not place the reservation at a CT facility.

I believe CARA currently is sueing the Greenwich location or Greenwich P&Z so maybe the evidence will come out in that case

Do these people (and Teslarati) actually not know how sales tax works in CT? Seriously?

It DOES NOT MATTER where you buy the car, MA, NY or anywhere else (except maybe California).. CT still charges you full sales tax on the deal when you register the car. Neither MA nor NY states will charge you their sales tax if you are titling and registering the car in CT. CT still gets that tax revenue. I bought my P85+ in NY and P85D in MA. Paid no tax to either state, but surely paid CT sales tax on both.

I know that's counter to the "let Tesla sell in CT" argument, but the sales tax argument is flat out wrong.

Last edited: