Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compatible game controllers for 2022 MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to find a compatible game controller for my 2022 MY, I have read many threads/articles and watched many youtube videos, and I have so far tried most of the controllers which people claimed to be working in their Model Y or Model 3, but none had worked for me, I just wonder if any of you have got any game controllers to work with your MY or M3? Here are the ones I have tried but had no luck with:

PowerA Wired Controller for Xbox Series X|S (Bestbuy)

PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox Series X and S (Amazon)

PDP Gaming Wired Controller (Amazon)

8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter + Switch Pro Controller (Amazon)

I guess that's probably why, I have just read about that too, the 2022 model has only one data USB port now, to save cost?
I think that it's not so much about saving costs. This time it's more about the chip shortage. BTW, I use Logitech F310 gamepad with my 2022 MYP and it works fine (I use Anker USB Hub connected to USB A in the glovebox).

Ugh. Just learned our new MYP is one of the hampered cars now where the only data USB plug is the one in the glovebox, and the USB-C throughout the car are for charging only.

In other words... it's likely a lot of people's USB-C ports will work in a way ours didn't with the other controllers we tried.

On that note, I just got a "PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox Series X/S"
for my M3P and while trying 1st game: Sky Force Reloaded, I noticed that buttons A & B are inverted.
Wondered if anyone else is having same problem?

The Xbox controllers for the past many years have a USB-C port on them; you can use that with the Tesla just fine.

Confirmed today in our 2022 MYP - *glovebox* USB-A connection:
  • Ancient wired Xbox 360 controller via dongle to USB-A
  • Xbox One controller via USB-C to USB-A cable
  • Brand new Xbox Series X controller via USB-C to USB-A cable

And re-confirmed, our USB-C ports throughout the car are charging only, as indicated in other threads, as a more recent change since November for M3 and MY.

The Xbox controllers for the past many years have a USB-C port on them; you can use that with the Tesla just fine.

Confirmed today in our 2022 MYP - *glovebox* USB-A connection:
  • Ancient wired Xbox 360 controller via dongle to USB-A
  • Xbox One controller via USB-C to USB-A cable
  • Brand new Xbox Series X controller via USB-C to USB-A cable

And re-confirmed, our USB-C ports throughout the car are charging only, as indicated in other threads, as a more recent change since November for M3 and MY.
Hi, same issue and I confirm only data passthrough via USB-a on the glovebox. (M3 LR 2022).
But I haven't Sonir or CupHead on my arcade games: is it possibile that on this model they've been removed on purpose??

Hi, same issue and I confirm only data passthrough via USB-a on the glovebox. (M3 LR 2022).
But I haven't Sonir or CupHead on my arcade games: is it possibile that on this model they've been removed on purpose??
Yes, this is confirmed. On the cars with only data on the glovebox they don't ship the game controller-only games.

Somewhere else someone had a text message thread with a service center about this who offered lukewarm "maybe there will be a retrofit" or "maybe they will end up shipping the games".

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have been trying to find a compatible game controller for my 2022 MY, I have read many threads/articles and watched many youtube videos, and I have so far tried most of the controllers which people claimed to be working in their Model Y or Model 3, but none had worked for me, I just wonder if any of you have got any game controllers to work with your MY or M3? Here are the ones I have tried but had no luck with:

PowerA Wired Controller for Xbox Series X|S (Bestbuy)

PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox Series X and S (Amazon)

PDP Gaming Wired Controller (Amazon)

8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter + Switch Pro Controller (Amazon)

Hi,

It seems like your 2022 Model Y don't have the data transmission function at the console ports due to Tesla chip shortage! You may find more discussion here:

Also, it seems like our wireless game controller will be a good fit for your Tesla Model Y once you have the data transmission module installed. You may find more about our wireless game controller here:

Here's some of customer review for our wireless game controller as well!

Hope this help!

Reactions: Spam2Yam
I went with the PowerA wired controllers because I didn't want to have to deal with changing out batteries from time to time. I have a setup video below with links to the products in the description:

I have a model y 2022. Removed OEM power only usb-c module and swapped in a TParts center console usb-c data module so I have two data/power capable usb-c ports. Got some usc-c to usb-a converters and plugged a powerA controller in each.

Reactions: PeteOC