Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so fast. I have been reading a lot of posts from people who say that Tesla is only collecting state and RTD taxes (4%). And that is what my current Order Summary shows on my Tesla account for my order. That leaves county and city taxes to be collected when you get to the DMV, along with ownership tax and registration fees.

A lot of people have been shocked to find that their total bill for taxes and registration at the DMV is higher than what they paid in taxes at delivery.

It's annoying to me, because Tesla's website says that they will collect all taxes and handle the registration for you in all states in which they're licensed to sell. They are licensed to sell in CO. But they're obviously not following that guideline.
You've only confirmed what I typed.

In Colorado, Tesla (other dealers as well) needs to collect your sales tax. Sales tax includes State, County, Cultural and RTD if it applies to you. This break down is different for most people. For me it is exactly 4% as I am not in an RTD district. Tesla is also responsible to correctly break it down. You as the purchaser have the responsibility to pay the full sales tax.

Once this is done and your papers are ready, you go to the DMV to get your plates AKA register your vehicle and pay Specific Ownership Tax and Registration Fees. Specific ownership tax was always something you could itemize come tax filing, but for this year and beyond I have not looked into if we still can. For me in my county the registration fee is based on MSRP in the registration information provided.

Tesla is collecting all taxes (sales) and handle registration (submitting to the dmv). Nothing mentioned about paying your fees and specific ownership taxes. Yes, people who rarely purchase NEW vehicles 60K+ will have sticker shock.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Be prepared, your registration for the 1st year will be ~$1400. You can put it on a card for points but there is a 3% fee typically. Good news is I used a known P3D+ VIN and called Amica, my insurance company. Removing the BMW i3 (Lease ends in October) actually reduced my yearly premium by $100/year. I was pleasantly surprised. Even at a value of $75,000, lol.

I did the same thing using someone else's AWD VIN and it will cost less than our $27,000 Subaru Forester to insure with equivalent coverage. Also Amica.

You've only confirmed what I typed.

In Colorado, Tesla (other dealers as well) needs to collect your sales tax. Sales tax includes State, County, Cultural and RTD if it applies to you. This break down is different for most people. For me it is exactly 4% as I am not in an RTD district. Tesla is also responsible to correctly break it down. You as the purchaser have the responsibility to pay the full sales tax.

Once this is done and your papers are ready, you go to the DMV to get your plates AKA register your vehicle and pay Specific Ownership Tax and Registration Fees. Specific ownership tax was always something you could itemize come tax filing, but for this year and beyond I have not looked into if we still can. For me in my county the registration fee is based on MSRP in the registration information provided.

Tesla is collecting all taxes (sales) and handle registration (submitting to the dmv). Nothing mentioned about paying your fees and specific ownership taxes. Yes, people who rarely purchase NEW vehicles 60K+ will have sticker shock.

First, I will show you a direct quote from Tesla's website:

"Do I have to register my Tesla myself?
If you live in a state where Tesla has a sales license, we will take care of the registration for you. If you live in a non-licensed state, we will provide you with the necessary information and paperwork so you can register your vehicle yourself. We will issue a temporary tag so you can legally drive your Tesla as soon as you take delivery. If you live in a state where we offer leasing but do not have a sales license, we will arrange for a titling agency to complete registration of your vehicle."​

"When and how will I receive my license plate(s)?
On the day of your delivery, you will drive away using a temporary registration sticker to use while you wait for Tesla to process your documents and send your registration and license plate to your registration address. For customers who live in states where Tesla does not have a sales license, Tesla will ship a Fed Ex package to the registration address after delivery. This will contain everything needed to visit a local department of motor vehicles and register the vehicle in person."​

So to begin with, Tesla is not even doing what their own website says they will do. And I have purchased 5 vehicles from dealerships in Colorado over the last 20+ years. Never have I had to register my own vehicle after buying from a dealership. Every dealership I have ever dealt with has a department that handles collecting and paying taxes and registrations, and sending the registration and tags to the buyer.

Second, the 4% tax that is on my Order Agreement includes the 2.9% state tax, and a 1.1% "special tax" which includes the RTD tax. It does not include the 3.46% city sales tax for my city. Nor does it include the registration fees or ownership taxes.

I have spoken to several people who have bought Model 3s, and their experience has been the same. If you live in a city that collects sales taxes, and you buy a Model 3 you will pay those at registration, also. I think if you go back and look at your registration receipt you will find that you were charged city taxes at registration, also.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
good news, car is slient/rattle-free with 20"s, just need the adapters for my 19" setup. last piece missing is the carbon fiber spoiler and i will be in full StormTrooper mode....oh and i will paint the dual motor badge black too.

any new updates on P3D spoiler? i hear October at the soonest. :( i don't understand how they can't mass produce these?

IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0422.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jsrawa
good news, car is slient/rattle-free with 20"s, just need the adapters for my 19" setup. last piece missing is the carbon fiber spoiler and i will be in full StormTrooper mode....oh and i will paint the dual motor badge black too.

any new updates on P3D spoiler? i hear October at the soonest. :( i don't understand how they can't mass produce these?

View attachment 327382 View attachment 327383
Looks just absolultey brilliant. With the spoiler it will push the best configuration in my humble opinion. Right after my blacked out Performance ;-) Haha

If you live in a state where Tesla has a sales license, we will take care of the registration for you. If you live in a non-licensed state, we will provide you with the necessary information and paperwork so you can register your vehicle yourself. We will issue a temporary tag so you can legally drive your Tesla as soon as you take delivery. If you live in a state where we offer leasing but do not have a sales license, we will arrange for a titling agency to complete registration of your vehicle."​

On the day of your delivery, you will drive away using a temporary registration sticker to use while you wait for Tesla to process your documents and send your registration and license plate to your registration address. For customers who live in states where Tesla does not have a sales license, Tesla will ship a Fed Ex package to the registration address after delivery. This will contain everything needed to visit a local department of motor vehicles and register the vehicle in person."​

So to begin with, Tesla is not even doing what their own website says they will do. And I have purchased 5 vehicles from dealerships in Colorado over the last 20+ years. Never have I had to register my own vehicle after buying from a dealership. Every dealership I have ever dealt with has a department that handles collecting and paying taxes and registrations, and sending the registration and tags to the buyer.

Second, the 4% tax that is on my Order Agreement includes the 2.9% state tax, and a 1.1% "special tax" which includes the RTD tax. It does not include the 3.46% city sales tax for my city. Nor does it include the registration fees or ownership taxes.

I have spoken to several people who have bought Model 3s, and their experience has been the same. If you live in a city that collects sales taxes, and you buy a Model 3 you will pay those at registration, also. I think if you go back and look at your registration receipt you will find that you were charged city taxes at registration, also.
Dunno what to tell you then. Maybe it’s due to where we live which is why it’s so different. My past 8 cars in 10 years have all been this way. When I say that sales tax and titling fees are done but people still pay ownership tax and other fees like plug in vehicle, E-470, highway etc. that’s based on experience and documents. Every dealership (Lexus, Audi, MB, Land Rover, Porsche and Tesla) have all done it this way. So unless my family friends and colleagues are all just being suckered, don’t know what to say. Bottom line is that people will be going to pick up their plates and tags with a nice bill to get em.

View attachment 327382 View attachment 327383

Looks awesome! Glad everything worked out.

Looks awesome! Glad everything worked out.
even better news, just posted this on the other thread i started but i wanted to share with all of my Colorado friends.

i would like to announce so FANTASTIC NEWS to everyone:

after thinking long and hard about all of your comments i reached out to T Sportline and told my story. they sent me a very nice email and agreed to my comprimise, which is to send me a new set of wheels and i will return the damaged ones (that were pryed off this past weekend). the new set they are sending doesn't even need adapaters! if you look at their website now they have pull-downs for the different Model 3 models, so different center based on model. this makes me very happy that they agreed to a full replacment and i will continue to do business with them. i know you guys may think i am being too forgiving, but i beleive in 2nd chances and they are making things right.

thank you all for your support, and thanks T Sportline!! :)

I've purchased 8 vehicles from dealerships in Colorado and in each case I've had to register my vehicle after purchase. The dealership collected the sales tax (dependent upon where you live, not where you buy the vehicle) and issued a temporary tag. Then they sent the paperwork off to the DMV. Around 30-60 days later I would receive a Title Complete notice from the DMV at which time I would go to the DMV, pay the license fee and ownership tax, and get my plates.

In my 44 years in the Denver Metro area, I've never heard of anyone who has had a different experience than mine when buying from a dealership. Well, at least until I read this post.

Also, I've never been to the DMV to pick up plates when it wasn't jam-packed with hundreds of other people also picking up plates. Not sure how you got so lucky to have your plates handled by the dealer and sent to you.

• Informative
Reactions: evp and neroden
I've purchased 8 vehicles from dealerships in Colorado and in each case I've had to register my vehicle after purchase. The dealership collected the sales tax (dependent upon where you live, not where you buy the vehicle) and issued a temporary tag. Then they sent the paperwork off to the DMV. Around 30-60 days later I would receive a Title Complete notice from the DMV at which time I would go to the DMV, pay the license fee and ownership tax, and get my plates.

In my 44 years in the Denver Metro area, I've never heard of anyone who has had a different experience than mine when buying from a dealership. Well, at least until I read this post.

Also, I've never been to the DMV to pick up plates when it wasn't jam-packed with hundreds of other people also picking up plates. Not sure how you got so lucky to have your plates handled by the dealer and sent to you.

I don't know what to tell you. Every time I have bought a car from a Colorado dealer they have handled the registration. And my girlfriend used to sell cars at a large-ish dealership in the Denver metro area. She confirms to me that was their practice, also.

The first time I ever had to register my own new car purchase from a dealer was last year, when I bought a car from an out of state dealer. But even then they collected everything, and sent me a check to take to the DMV.

even better news, just posted this on the other thread i started but i wanted to share with all of my Colorado friends.

i would like to announce so FANTASTIC NEWS to everyone:

after thinking long and hard about all of your comments i reached out to T Sportline and told my story. they sent me a very nice email and agreed to my comprimise, which is to send me a new set of wheels and i will return the damaged ones (that were pryed off this past weekend). the new set they are sending doesn't even need adapaters! if you look at their website now they have pull-downs for the different Model 3 models, so different center based on model. this makes me very happy that they agreed to a full replacment and i will continue to do business with them. i know you guys may think i am being too forgiving, but i beleive in 2nd chances and they are making things right.

thank you all for your support, and thanks T Sportline!! :)

That's great news. They should be embarrassed that they did this, but I have to hand it to them that they did the right thing. Both by you, and by reworking the wheels moving forward. I hope they reach out to those that have already bought these wheels and make sure everything is okay/offer to do the same thing for them.

I don't know what to tell you. Every time I have bought a car from a Colorado dealer they have handled the registration. And my girlfriend used to sell cars at a large-ish dealership in the Denver metro area. She confirms to me that was their practice, also.

The first time I ever had to register my own new car purchase from a dealer was last year, when I bought a car from an out of state dealer. But even then they collected everything, and sent me a check to take to the DMV.
I don’t see how this is possible for the dealer to register the vehicle for you. Title has be be sent to the DMV and processed before the vehicle can be registered. This is why the dealer gives you a temporary tag. Once you receive the title complete notice you can go to the DMV and register.

This is straight from DMV:
After purchasing a vehicle – new or used – you have 60 days to register it with the DMV.

Before registering, check if your vehicle requires a smog check. This will depend on the age of your vehicle and your county of residence. Get the whole scoop on our Smog & Emission Checks page.

Vehicles Purchased from a Dealership
If you purchase from a dealer, in most cases the dealership agent will submit your Colorado car registration papers for you. Confirm this before leaving.

Yes, they submit the info for you to the DMV. You still have to go and pay the fees and ownership taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox