Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what to tell you. Every time I have bought a car from a Colorado dealer they have handled the registration. And my girlfriend used to sell cars at a large-ish dealership in the Denver metro area. She confirms to me that was their practice, also.

The first time I ever had to register my own new car purchase from a dealer was last year, when I bought a car from an out of state dealer. But even then they collected everything, and sent me a check to take to the DMV.
Would you share with us the vehicles/dealerships you've purchased from and your zip code or county of registration? I'm sure if we call and ask them we'd get clarification. Either way, you're the only person I've come across that gets plates differently from what I know.

Would you share with us the vehicles/dealerships you've purchased from and your zip code or county of registration? I'm sure if we call and ask them we'd get clarification. Either way, you're the only person I've come across that gets plates differently from what I know.

I don't know. Would you care to share? And who is "we?" You have a frog in your pocket?

You must not know many people.

Honestly, your questions are pretty insulting. Like you're accusing me of lying. I have no reason to lie here. I don't believe you do, either.

I don't know. Would you care to share? And who is "we?" You have a frog in your pocket?

You must not know many people.

Honestly, your questions are pretty insulting. Like you're accusing me of lying. I have no reason to lie here. I don't believe you do, either.
Calm down. Not accusing you of lying. Genuinely curious to know if this is a service I've been passing up. Personal attacks are childish but believe whatever you'd like. :cool:

1. Kuni Lexus of Greenwood Village - IS250.
2. Audi Denver - Audi Q7.
3. Mercedes of Denver (Pre-Sonic Buyout) - x2 CLS 550's.
4. Land Rover of Denver - RRS
5. Tesla - Model X.
6. Stevinson Imports - Macan.
7. Tesla - Model S.
8. Porsche of Colorado Springs - 718 Cayman.

Edit: Parker, CO 80134, Douglas County DMV (Castle Rock). Technically Douglas county removed. If you find me feel free to say hi. Maybe I'll finally get to claim I know another person.

Calm down. Not accusing you of lying. Genuinely curious to know if this is a service I've been passing up. Personal attacks are childish but believe whatever you'd like. :cool:

1. Kuni Lexus of Greenwood Village - IS250.
2. Audi Denver - Audi Q7.
3. Mercedes of Denver (Pre-Sonic Buyout) - x2 CLS 550's.
4. Land Rover of Denver - RRS
5. Tesla - Model X.
6. Stevinson Imports - Macan.
7. Tesla - Model S.
8. Porsche of Colorado Springs - 718 Cayman.

Edit: Parker, CO 80134, Douglas County DMV (Castle Rock). Technically Douglas county removed. If you find me feel free to say hi. Maybe I'll finally get to claim I know another person.

All of my transactions have been while living in Jeffco. Two different cities. Wheat Ridge and Arvada. Dealerships:

Stevinson Toyota (twice)
Mountain States Toyota
Planet Honda
Frontier Honda

I will admit that when I look around it appears that different counties handle registrations differently. So maybe I have just been lucky. ‍:oops:

All of my transactions have been while living in Jeffco. Two different cities. Wheat Ridge and Arvada. Dealerships:

Stevinson Toyota (twice)
Mountain States Toyota
Planet Honda
Frontier Honda

I will admit that when I look around it appears that different counties handle registrations differently. So maybe I have just been lucky. ‍:oops:
We've both been to a Stevinson dealership. So I'm leaning it towards being the individuals zip and county for registration. I'll look into it. Bummer though since this would be a decent time saver. Some counties don't charge sales tax on vehicles. Found this out recently.

We've both been to a Stevinson dealership. So I'm leaning it towards being the individuals zip and county for registration. I'll look into it. Bummer though since this would be a decent time saver. Some counties don't charge sales tax on vehicles. Found this out recently.

Well, as I said I'm noticing in researching it further that it appears to be different from county to county. I even noticed that counties like Denver and now Jeffco handle it differently for cash purchases than they do for financed ones.

And I also think that it's a "value add" service that dealerships have traditionally performed, where they actually sent an employee down to the DMV. Admittedly, I have only bought one car from a CO dealership in the last few years. Perhaps with pricing pressures on dealerships from the internet some of them have found the service something that's not worth the cost and hassle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the fact is that Tesla is still not collecting all of the sales tax. Numerous people I have spoken to have said that they're getting hit with a hefty city tax when they register their Model 3 at the DMV. And my purchase agreement reflects that the same will likely be true for me. Not an issue for me. But if someone is doing 100% financing they're going to get some ugly surprises when they go to the DMV.

Well, as I said I'm noticing in researching it further that it appears to be different from county to county. I even noticed that counties like Denver and now Jeffco handle it differently for cash purchases than they do for financed ones.

And I also think that it's a "value add" service that dealerships have traditionally performed, where they actually sent an employee down to the DMV. Admittedly, I have only bought one car from a CO dealership in the last few years. Perhaps with pricing pressures on dealerships from the internet some of them have found the service something that's not worth the cost and hassle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the fact is that Tesla is still not collecting all of the sales tax. Numerous people I have spoken to have said that they're getting hit with a hefty city tax when they register their Model 3 at the DMV. And my purchase agreement reflects that the same will likely be true for me. Not an issue for me. But if someone is doing 100% financing they're going to get some ugly surprises when they go to the DMV.

Not to keep rehashing this, but I'm really curious how you were able to avoid going to the DMV. If I never have to go stand in line again to register a new vehicle, it will be too soon. I saw you mention JeffCo - they handle registrations just like Denver, Arapahoe and Douglas (and likely all the other Metro area as they are all tied to the same registration system. The dealer gives you a temp tag and once title is complete you can register.

Here's JeffCo:
  1. Licensing a Financed or Leased Vehicle
Guidelines
Jefferson County will mail a postcard when the title papers have been accepted and completed. When you receive this postcard, please visit any of the offices to register your vehicle. If you wish to transfer license plates, please bring the plates and registration from your previous vehicle.

If you have not received a postcard, and your temporary permit is about to expire, please bring your finance agreement and proof of insurance to one of the offices to apply for an extension. The cost for a temporary permit is $7.08.

I just can't figure out how the dealership can charge you the proper fees and ownership tax without the title being sent to the DMV.

Did your plates just show up in the mail?

Not implying you never had to go to the DMV to register, just shocked at how you wouldn't have to.

Not to keep rehashing this, but I'm really curious how you were able to avoid going to the DMV. If I never have to go stand in line again to register a new vehicle, it will be too soon. I saw you mention JeffCo - they handle registrations just like Denver, Arapahoe and Douglas (and likely all the other Metro area as they are all tied to the same registration system. The dealer gives you a temp tag and once title is complete you can register.

Here's JeffCo:
  1. Licensing a Financed or Leased Vehicle
Guidelines
Jefferson County will mail a postcard when the title papers have been accepted and completed. When you receive this postcard, please visit any of the offices to register your vehicle. If you wish to transfer license plates, please bring the plates and registration from your previous vehicle.

If you have not received a postcard, and your temporary permit is about to expire, please bring your finance agreement and proof of insurance to one of the offices to apply for an extension. The cost for a temporary permit is $7.08.

I just can't figure out how the dealership can charge you the proper fees and ownership tax without the title being sent to the DMV.

Did your plates just show up in the mail?

Not implying you never had to go to the DMV to register, just shocked at how you wouldn't have to.
Could be a cash deal versus financing/leased. Maybe you and I have never paid cash but rdlink has for his other ones. My company leased vehicle is all taken care of for me though so plates and tags come straight to me. I too, would like to never go to the DMV again. It's why I'm digging into this!

Could be a cash deal versus financing/leased. Maybe you and I have never paid cash but rdlink has for his other ones. My company leased vehicle is all taken care of for me though so plates and tags come straight to me. I too, would like to never go to the DMV again. It's why I'm digging into this!

Same process applies. DMV still needs the title to the vehicle and all of the purchase info to charge the proper fees and ownership taxes. You still get a temporary plate and register once you receive a Title Complete notice.

Cash purchases through dealership
You must come into one of our DMV branch offices to register your newly purchased vehicle. Below is a checklist detailing the types of documents a dealer may give you during the cash purchase of a vehicle. All documents supplied by the dealer should be brought with you when you come into our offices.

EDIT: "That's why I'm digging into this" - You and me both. Not finding any way around the Title Complete process to the DMV.

print.png

Same process applies. DMV still needs the title to the vehicle and all of the purchase info to charge the proper fees and ownership taxes. You still get a temporary plate and register once you receive a Title Complete notice.

Cash purchases through dealership
You must come into one of our DMV branch offices to register your newly purchased vehicle. Below is a checklist detailing the types of documents a dealer may give you during the cash purchase of a vehicle. All documents supplied by the dealer should be brought with you when you come into our offices.

EDIT: "That's why I'm digging into this" - You and me both. Not finding any way around the Title Complete process to the DMV.

Like I said, maybe I just got lucky enough to have dealerships who were doing the "legwork" on their own. I know I have seen dealers come in with multiple registrations at once while I was in the DMV renewing my tags. And, admittedly the only car I have bought from a Colorado dealer recently is the one I bought last year from Frontier. Maybe most dealerships don't do it anymore.

All I do know for sure is that when I pick up my Tesla I will be going to the DMV... :-(

Like I said, maybe I just got lucky enough to have dealerships who were doing the "legwork" on their own. I know I have seen dealers come in with multiple registrations at once while I was in the DMV renewing my tags. And, admittedly the only car I have bought from a Colorado dealer recently is the one I bought last year from Frontier. Maybe most dealerships don't do it anymore.

All I do know for sure is that when I pick up my Tesla I will be going to the DMV... :-(
Yeah, understood. Too bad you can't skip the DMV this time as well. Enjoy the car, hopefully I'm not too far behind you.

Tesla only collects the State sales tax when you pick up your vehicle. They also give you a temporary plate. You should get a postcard in the mail from your county of residence that shows what you'll need to pay to get your permanent plates. If you don't get a postcard by the time your temporary plates expire, you can just go to your local county DMV to get your plates.

You will have to pay county, and possibly city sales tax, depending on where you live. I had to pay about $2500.00 for my $100K Tesla Model S P85 plates back in 2013 when I lived in Douglas County/Parker.

I've purchased 8 vehicles from dealerships in Colorado and in each case I've had to register my vehicle after purchase. The dealership collected the sales tax (dependent upon where you live, not where you buy the vehicle) and issued a temporary tag. Then they sent the paperwork off to the DMV. Around 30-60 days later I would receive a Title Complete notice from the DMV at which time I would go to the DMV, pay the license fee and ownership tax, and get my plates.

In my 44 years in the Denver Metro area, I've never heard of anyone who has had a different experience than mine when buying from a dealership. Well, at least until I read this post.

Also, I've never been to the DMV to pick up plates when it wasn't jam-packed with hundreds of other people also picking up plates. Not sure how you got so lucky to have your plates handled by the dealer and sent to you.
That's how it worked for me when I bought my previous car (before the Tesla). It was a Honda and I had to go get the plates myself. That was expected since that's how it worked when I lived in Kansas and Missouri. Also, the Honda dealership didn't charge me the correct taxes since they didn't include the city tax where I live...so I had to pay that when registering.

When I bought my Tesla, I knew everything in advance and that I would have to pay the remaining taxes when I picked up my plate. I was off by like 30 cents but not too bad considering the total amount. The clerk was shocked it was so much and she wrote down the total instead of telling it to me and I was like "Oh, I was off by 30 cents". :)

Stevinson Toyota (twice)
Mountain States Toyota
Planet Honda
Frontier Honda

Planet Honda didn't get my plates for me but that was probably a few years before your purchase. They are the dealership that I mentioned above which failed to charge the correct taxes. I even told them that I should pay city taxes and they said I was wrong and that nobody lived there. Fortunately (?) I was right and was prepared to pay that amount when I went to get my plates at the DMV.

Last edited:
So I know that front plates are required here, but many just skip it and hope for the best. Curious what you all plan to do there.

I did once get a ticket for that with a Mustang in the Denver area, then reluctantly put the front plate on. But it seems especially wrong to put a front plate on the Model 3.