Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather. One tire.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

So I have been noticing that in cold weather only one tire seems to have the pressure fluctuate to the point of setting off the warning. I do have a great air pump but not sure how old the tires are (they don’t look original) and also not sure how to tell if one has a small leak.

Would appreciate any suggestions on why this happens with one tire and if you think anything needs to be done.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4848.jpeg
    IMG_4848.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4847.jpeg
    IMG_4847.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4849.jpeg
    IMG_4849.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 8
Tire is about 2 1/2 years old which isn't bad. How often do you have to top it off? You're not likely to find a leak that small with soapy water, but spraying the tire with it and looking for bubbles is a way of checking. Could be the tire valve, especially if it wasn't replaced when the tire was installed.

How do you check for the valve? Do I bring it somewhere?
I am filling it to 45 every couple weeks then it goes down to 39 which sets the alsrm
How can you tell age of tire from the picture??

This
Foryn
Is
So great!!

Take it to a tire shop. They'll inspect visually for a screw or nail. The best bet is a dunk tank to look for air bubbles. If no foreign object like a nail or screw exists my bet is on valve/stem issue or cracked wheel likely from hitting a pot hole. That last one is super common on Teslas but typically more so on the 21" & 22" wheels on Model S/X due to weight and lack of tire sidewall to help absorb impact force. The temperature change can have a minor impact on rate-of-loss to a cracked wheel due to subtle expansion/contraction.

There is a slow leak somewhere.

Biggest time saver is probably a tire shop as they can get it up on a lift and inspect it to find the problem.

But if you want to look for a nail or screw you could gradually move the vehicle until you've turned the wheels once, or you could try jacking up the wheel so you can turn it and get a better look and feel.

Or the suggestion above to spray soapy water to see if you can see air bubbles.

How do you check for the valve? Do I bring it somewhere?

Remove the cap covering the valve. Put some spit on your finger, wipe it on the valve stem at the valve. If it has a small leak it will bubble right away. You can buy a new valve and tool to remove it at Harbor Freight for less than $5.

Really. Discount Tire is awesome - make an appointment on their website to get In and out faster.

I love Discount Tire BUT if the nail is not in the center 50% of the thread they won’t fix it. Suggest you jack up the car, spin the tire and look for the nail. If it’s in the center take it to DT. If not, you may want to plug it yourself.