Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing door by pushing on window vs door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's so easy to close the door by simply using the door handle to push it closed, but no... everyone who rides in my car has been so conditioned with a framed window/door that people keep grabbing the glass and I have to stop them. I mean come on, people should use some common sense. Who pushes a door closed using the window? The 2nd most popular option is to push it closed along the sheet metal below the window, but that's exactly where the door handle is - why not just use that? I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the brains of these people as it short circuits while they try to figure out the absurdly complex process of closing a door.

Is there an emoji for pissed off and sarcastic? lol

It's so easy to close the door by simply using the door handle to push it closed, but no... everyone who rides in my car has been so conditioned with a framed window/door that people keep grabbing the glass and I have to stop them. I mean come on, people should use some common sense. Who pushes a door closed using the window? The 2nd most popular option is to push it closed along the sheet metal below the window, but that's exactly where the door handle is - why not just use that? I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the brains of these people as it short circuits while they try to figure out the absurdly complex process of closing a door.

Is there an emoji for pissed off and sarcastic? lol

This is funny. I don't think I've ever closed a car door by pushing on the handle. Well, maybe once or twice by accident but that's it. Your car, your rules, of course. But I'd be rolling my eyes every time you made a point of it. I swing it shut using the pointy part of the door panel. It's fast.

I insist that everyone use the door handle but it's not because I'm primarily concerned about affecting the glass. I believe that always closing a door using the handle will dramatically reduce the possibility of a child crushing a hand or finger in the door. Getting into this habit now results in a lifetime of significantly reduced risk.*

*(Yes, my nickname at home is Papa Bear.)
Funny, that, so is mine. My daughter is pooh bear!

- - - Updated - - -

Or the other option is for the OP to open wife's door and close it...gentleman's reaction + preventing his wife from touching the glass.

No birds in one stone:biggrin:
And what about women's lib? You could get beaten about the head for doing that!!

People that ride my car always slam the doors shut (very hard) while pushing the glass. It's very annoying, I'm afraid that the slamming of the door will cause damage to the aluminum frame or the door/window components on the door.

I use the metal edge myself, but I'd be astonished if the designers didn't anticipate that many people would use the glass and designed the door such that moderate force on the window was fine. When my hands are full, I've certainly been known to nudge the door shut with my elbow on the glass. I wouldn't say anything to a passenger, although I suppose I might mention it to my wife since she rides so often. In my case, I'd be more annoyed by the smudges/fingerprints than possible risk to some mechanical component.

I use the metal edge myself, but I'd be astonished if the designers didn't anticipate that many people would use the glass and designed the door such that moderate force on the window was fine. When my hands are full, I've certainly been known to nudge the door shut with my elbow on the glass. I wouldn't say anything to a passenger, although I suppose I might mention it to my wife since she rides so often. In my case, I'd be more annoyed by the smudges/fingerprints than possible risk to some mechanical component.

By that same notion though, I would have thought the designers would have put in grab handles! I get fingerprints on the pano all the time by the passengers reaching over to help lift themselves up.

You will mess up the motor in the door eventually by pushing on the glass. I use to do that until I had to replace two driver side motors in two seperate cars one after another. I stopping doing that and have not had to replace a motor again.