Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control - wrong int. temperature? Need help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pictures of enclosing Rock Wool:
IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0831.JPG
I have yet to test this.

Since about mid to late 2013, the sensor is located on the forward side of the center armrest above the USB ports. It looks like a tiny speaker grill because it is fitted with an aspirator to draw cabin air in and over the sensor. On older cars like mine, it is located somewhere behind the dashboard near the steering wheel and has no aspirator fan.
I find this most intriguing. Your positioning in your older car suggests that all of the above mentioned problems in older posts for older cars years past make sense: not aspirated so doesn't get good air samples until air movement; near to equipment that heats up in longer drives. Mine is in a location that doesn't assume the same problems. I wonder if my aspirator fan is malfunctioning, even heating up during its malfunction? I'll have to vacuum that little thing. Also, if I can get at the temperature sensor unit, I could encapsulate it with my own temperature sensor setup, along with a small cooler and heater, that applies particular temperatures to the temperature sensor, to operate it like it is a switch, and I could control the cabin temperature that way. (Anybody know a solid state source of coolness?) I saw this little vent, and assumed it might be for this, and thought "nice, finally", but then I experienced all these problems. I'm going to go vacuum it out right now.

In fact, I can kill two birds with one stone (who made those expressions?) by venting the footwell area directly to that temperature sensor location. I could achieve this by using one of my insulation mats as described above, and cutting out a place (in the mat, and forming the plastic to it so the venting is outside the plastic for a bottom vent and tube that then travels behind my feet in front of the seat on the floor to the console, up, and over to that temperature sensor location, sealing around it, but with a small escape area, so that most the air makes it into the temperature sensor, but some air flow happens, so that any blockages in the temp sensor vent doesn't stop the airflow, and somewhere in my tube I can install a 12V car cigarette lighter operated fan. I'll have to source a small flex vent (about 1"; any flex tube ought to work, so that will give me lots to chose from), and a low power quiet fan to place in the tube (that will be a bit harder). This will pull in cabin air to the foot well at the same time as offer the worst lowest temperature to the temperature sensor, and suddenly, instead of the car thinking it's +8ºF over the reality, it will constantly think it's about -8ºF from what it actually is (it would be easy for me to set the auto temperature at 68ºF, to achieve a comfortable 76ºF cabin interior).

Where there's a will, there's a way.

On the other hand, other cars don't require any of this.

Last edited:
jerry33, that's helpful, but I'm caught in the situation that 81ºF blows cold air at me giving my feet blood flow problems, then I hit HI and it blows COLDER air for five to forty five minutes making everything worse, until it decides to finally blow hot air, which then cooks me out quickly at 100º, and I'm never in a state of comfort. It sounds like your air temperature system works better than mine. (In my car, 81º is max setting.)

jerry33, that's helpful, but I'm caught in the situation that 81ºF blows cold air at me giving my feet blood flow problems, then I hit HI and it blows COLDER air for five to forty five minutes making everything worse, until it decides to finally blow hot air, which then cooks me out quickly at 100º, and I'm never in a state of comfort. It sounds like your air temperature system works better than mine. (In my car, 81º is max setting.)
That is weird. I think the SC should take a look at it, as mine doesn't work that way (and I have the old system without the aspirating fan).

I'll have to continue working on this and return with more positive results after I try other stuff, to avoid continuing forum noise. Hopefully I'll come back soon with good results.

The vacuum-packed Rock Wool seemed plausible, but the 65º zone still exists above the mat, so I think that coldnesss comes from above, not below, which would require either adjusting the existing venting, or installing new heating. I'm starting to think of heat pipes, additional vents, additional heaters, etc; it shouldn't take much energy, so I hope it would run off of the cigarette adapter if I can't source it elsewhere. I don't think heating the mat below would be sufficient, so heat pipes would not work; the coldness is probably coming from above in a continuous manner, so they wouldn't be able to counteract that, and actual new forced heated air into that region would be required.

The other problem was the vacuum plastic already failed.

Thank you for the cork sheet and sound deadening mat ideas @brkaus. I'll get some and try that.

I am loving the idea of getting an arduino setup with a hot and cold peltiers with venting and fan, and some IR cameras pointed at the cabin, with interactive settings and control logic. Only thing is, before I do that, I want to know what I have to achieve to get myself comfortable, so that requires me figuring out the proper physical heat transfer necessary to obtain function. Once I know that, I can target the control systems.

Perhaps I could redirect a heat vent from elsewhere; the rear seat vents, for instance, or the left dash vent.

Since about mid to late 2013, the sensor is located on the forward side of the center armrest above the USB ports. It looks like a tiny speaker grill because it is fitted with an aspirator to draw cabin air in and over the sensor. On older cars like mine, it is located somewhere behind the dashboard near the steering wheel and has no aspirator fan.
Wow - on the ARM Rest? I thought it would be behind the RV mirror. I was trying to reconcile the dash readout and the interior temperature that I sense. Perhaps my use of center council and phone chargers affects interior temperature? Is this the same sensor that reports "interior Temperature" to the Tesla App?
My ex-car had a sensor behind the front license plate, to set off icy-road warnings. Does my Tesla have an exterior thermometer also? Where would it be?.

Wow - on the ARM Rest? I thought it would be behind the RV mirror. I was trying to reconcile the dash readout and the interior temperature that I sense. Perhaps my use of center council and phone chargers affects interior temperature? Is this the same sensor that reports "interior Temperature" to the Tesla App?

We think.

I tried spraying cold air into it (one of those compressed air bottles), but that never seemed to materially change the readings. Perhaps it has a system to ignore unusual results.

My ex-car had a sensor behind the front license plate, to set off icy-road warnings. Does my Tesla have an exterior thermometer also? Where would it be?.
My Mercedes always had accurate road temperature (critical for safe cold weather driving), so I assume they had a good location for that. I am constantly wondering whether an IR camera would work better. I wonder what the Tesla uses and how well it is mounted. So far, I haven't lost control due to not knowing about temperature, but my Tesla has seen far less cold weather than my Mercedes, and my Tesla is 4 wheel drive rather than my 2 wheel drive Mercedes. I want to try some snow covered roads some day. I don't know where there are any that road owners let us use.

Last edited:
So lets get some hardware facts. I can't find Owners Manual entries describing the location of these sensors and displays.

There is a cabin temperature set by the big screen climate control [fairly sure of this fact].
Somewhere there is a cabin temperature sensor (armrest?)
Somewhere there is a cabin temperature display (is the display near battery SOC and remaining range indicator on front display - showing cabin temp?)
There is a readout on Tesla App - (reflecting cabin temp being displayed on front? or some other location)
There is an exterior temperature sensor. (Assumption- not sure if one exists) (would it be perhaps behind license plate?).
Is there an outside temperature display?