Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Washington (AFP) – This winter was the warmest ever recorded in the mainland United States, data showed Friday -- the latest sign the world is moving towards an unprecedented era as a result of the climate crisis.

The average temperature in the so-called lower 48 US states from December 2023 to February 2024 was 37.6 degrees Fahrenheit (Temperature Deviation of 3.1°C during winter months), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said, the highest in a record that goes back to the 1890s.

So we have a Temperature Deviation of 3.1°C in the USA during the winter months, more than double than the threshold of 1.5°C set by the Agreement of Paris!

This post is worrisome, so please don't look it up.

Reactions: iPlug and DanCar

Washington (AFP) – This winter was the warmest ever recorded in the mainland United States, data showed Friday -- the latest sign the world is moving towards an unprecedented era as a result of the climate crisis.

The average temperature in the so-called lower 48 US states from December 2023 to February 2024 was 37.6 degrees Fahrenheit (Temperature Deviation of 3.1°C during winter months), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said, the highest in a record that goes back to the 1890s.

So we have a Temperature Deviation of 3.1°C in the USA during the winter months, more than double than the threshold of 1.5°C set by the Agreement of Paris!

Canadians from all across the country could feel it, but numbers make it official: this past winter was the warmest in the country's records, and by a stunning margin, according to Environment Canada data shared by a senior climatologist.
This past winter (months of December, January and February) the Temperature Deviation was 5.2°C in Canada, breaking the old record by more than a full degree. Please notice that the threshold for the Temperature Deviation according to the Agreement of Paris is 1.5°C.

So also for Canada, as for the USA, this winter has been warmest winter on record.

Last edited:

"IPCC is wrong - we need a one degree limit on warming. Anything more than one degree could lead to a disaster."

Dr. James Hansen NASA Scientist
Columbia University 2013

So according to Dr. James Hansen, NASA Scientist, a Global Temperature Deviation of 1°C IS ALREADY TOO MUCH, while the Paris Agreement set a threshold of 1.5°C for the Global Temperature Deviation and we have already overtaken such a threshold of 1.5°C in last 12 months.

I invite whoever thinks that I am alarmist, as I have been defined yesterday, to read this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr

"IPCC is wrong - we need a one degree limit on warming. Anything more than one degree could lead to a disaster."

Columbia University 2013

So according to Dr. James Hansen, NASA Scientist, a Global Temperature Deviation of 1°C IS ALREADY TOO MUCH, while the Paris Agreement set a threshold of 1.5°C for the Global Temperature Deviation and we have already overtaken such a threshold of 1.5°C in last 12 months.

I invite whoever thinks that I am alarmist, as I have been defined yesterday, to read this post.
Please notice that Dr. James Hansen refers to IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) and not to the Paris Agreement because the reported sentences by Dr. James Hansen have been done in 2013 while the Paris Agreement is of 2015.

the simplest action people in developed countries could do to reduce global warming would be to immediately stop using their cell phones, Internet searches and outlaw the mining of Bit Coin. While the individual use is low, the aggregate requires tremendous electricity to power Cyber Coins, call centers and cloud services. This is the fastest growing energy consumption currently.

We can each do our part...but I bet you won't.

the simplest action people in developed countries could do to reduce global warming would be to immediately stop using their cell phones, Internet searches and outlaw the mining of Bit Coin. While the individual use is low, the aggregate requires tremendous electricity to power Cyber Coins, call centers and cloud services. This is the fastest growing energy consumption currently.

We can each do our part...but I bet you won't.
AI is rapidly becoming the largest single use of electricity.

Anyone know why methane started rocketing up again around 2008 after tapering off in the early 2000s?
Don't know but consider that methane is a dangerous GHG (80 times more powerful than CO2) and permafrost is a potential source of methane. The amount of methane which is stored in permafrost is HUGE.
If permafrost thawed we would have serious damages believe me. Another very good reason to keep the Temperature Deviation under 1.5°C.

Columbia University 2013

Dr. James Hansen is Director of Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions at Columbia University's Earth Institute. Formerly Director of NASA GISS.

About GISS
Research at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) emphasizes a broad study of global change, which is an interdisciplinary initiative addressing natural and man-made changes in our environment that occur on various time scales — from one-time forcings such as volcanic explosions, to seasonal and annual effects such as El Niño, and on up to the millennia of ice ages — and that affect the habitability of our planet.

GISS is located at Columbia University in New York City. The institute is a laboratory in the Earth Sciences Division of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center and is affiliated with the Columbia Climate School and School of Engineering and Applied Science.

“The more alerts we send out… to make society aware of what is happening, it seems we are not listened to, that we are (perceived as) alarmist” despite the evidence, he said.
Is concern about the natural environment a “luxury good”? According to one theoretical perspective, people in contemporary societies can afford to worry about protecting the planet’s natural environment only if their basic survival needs have been satisfied. A plausible foundation for such an argument is American psychologist Abraham Maslow’s “hierarchy of needs” (1943; 1954). < not my words but valid. Here in the US, the "needs" are torto or screwed up. A portion of our society..the very poor and homeless fit into Maslow triangle, but millions more don't have that survival problem. Keeping up appearances, wanting more things..is essential to them..and not to say we are all not guilty of that at some time. Trying to get Corporations to, as one example, to not make so much plastic..wrapping to larger products..and our waste keeps growing. You are correct Raffy.Roma....but some are listening, not always the ones that should.....

Reactions: Raffy.Roma
Is concern about the natural environment a “luxury good”? According to one theoretical perspective, people in contemporary societies can afford to worry about protecting the planet’s natural environment only if their basic survival needs have been satisfied. A plausible foundation for such an argument is American psychologist Abraham Maslow’s “hierarchy of needs” (1943; 1954). < not my words but valid. Here in the US, the "needs" are torto or screwed up. A portion of our society..the very poor and homeless fit into Maslow triangle, but millions more don't have that survival problem. Keeping up appearances, wanting more things..is essential to them..and not to say we are all not guilty of that at some time. Trying to get Corporations to, as one example, to not make so much plastic..wrapping to larger products..and our waste keeps growing. You are correct Raffy.Roma....but some are listening, not always the ones that should.....
Thank you RSpanner. I appreciate your words because lately I also, not only those mentioned in my post that you quoted, have been called "alarmist". So I am glad that somebody appreciate my work on TMC.

RED CODE ALERT!

The 36-month running mean for the Earth Energy Imbalance due to the GHE is at another record high.
Wish to remind that 93% of the Energy Imbalance is absorbed by the Oceans.

As a consequence of the increasing Earth Energy Imbalance we have also increasing Global Sea Surface Temperatures for an entire year now.
I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported GIF.

Last edited:

📈BREAKING @NASA CERES🌡️📈

Why was 2023 so extreme? The data is finally in!

The world absorbed a lot more sunlight, as less was reflected. THIS IS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE DECREASING ALBEDO DUE TO THE MELTED ICE AND SNOW CAUSED BY THE GHE.

While greenhouse gases kept most of the additional heat in.

Add El Niño and all temperature records shattered!
So as you can see in the reported graph the increasing Globally Absorbed Solar Radiation is MAIN reason for the increase of the Temperature Deviation in 2023. (NASA Source)
This is caused by the decreasing ALBEDO.

1000012212.jpg

Here in this pic it's CRYSTAL CLEAR how the ALBEDO decreased from 2003 to our days because of the ICE and SNOW melted by the GHE.

Last edited:

In a world of monoculture cash crops, an innovative African project is persuading farmers to plant biodiverse forest gardens that feed the family, protect the soil and expand tree cover. Could Trees for the Future (TREES) be a rare example of a mass reforestation campaign that actually works? The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) certainly thinks so and last month awarded it the status of World Restoration Flagship.

This includes part of the African Union’s Great Green Wall initiative, a planned 8,000km-wide barrier of vegetation to hold back the deserts that are encroaching across the Sahel region. Organisers say this will be the largest natural structure on the planet, though it is still very much a work in progress.

Initiatives like TREES are playing an important role in reversing decades of ecosystem degradation, especially across the Sahel, pushing back desertification, increasing climate resilience and improving the wellbeing of farmers and their communities,” Andersen said in announcing the World Restoration Flagship.

The protection of primary forests is a priority for the global climate, local biodiversity and regional water cycles. Those functions, built up over centuries, cannot be fully replaced by new plantations and restoration projects. But TREES and similar programmes can help to alleviate ecological and economic problems in already degraded areas.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma