Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spains Abengoa Solar goes bankrupt just before Paris COP21 - YouTube

The worst is that all the new taxes introduced at the climate change won't be recycled into the economy, it won't change at all the level of CO2 in Canada.

The NDP is on track to make Alberta an not have province just like Ontario. Nice. FYI, Germany is getting away from solar panel and wind power and back to coal.. too expensive.
Oh? 40 years of Conservative Party mismanagement didn't have anything to do with its economic woes?

Oh, and Germany isn't going back to coal. There was a false report about that a couple of years ago in the climate denial blogs after a cold winter which drove up electricity demand.

I'm not anti nuclear if it's done right, (LFTR preferably), but I don't know if it's necessary at this point.

I think it depends on the location. In the US, it's probably not ideal because of the regulatory environment.

Still, I don't like a "Science Guy" coming out against science. It's a bad message. Be pro-solar, pro-storage, but anti-nuclear is the wrong message. At least in my view.

Again, for those "on the fence" that read this thread. Another article on internal memos from Exxon:

More Exxon Documents Show How Much It Knew About Climate 35 Years Ago | InsideClimate News

One of the internal memos:

Shaw based his caution on estimates that higher global temperatures caused by rising CO2 would only be felt around the year 2000, and that CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere would double in about 100 years. Those gaps, Shaw wrote, permit "time for an orderly transition to non-fossil fuel technologies should restrictions on fossil fuel use be deemed necessary."

AGAIN:

The document did not raise doubts about the links between fossil fuel use, higher CO2 concentrations and a warmer planet. Shaw wrote:
• "Atmospheric CO2 will double in 100 years if fossil fuels grow at 1.4%/ a2.
• 3oC global average temperature rise and 10oC at poles if CO2doubles.
—Major shifts in rainfall/agriculture

—Polar ice may melt"

This tweet is getting a fair bit of attention. It's a great presentation by Elon and should be seen by as many people as possible. Please retweet:

Ktown on Twitter:

CVPylvRWsAAcDkH.png

Six prominent Canadians, including a former Ambassador to the United Nations, have filed an application
with the head of the Canadian antitrust agency to have the misrepresentations
of climate denier groups investigated under the Canadian laws against misleading
advertising.

The application (copy available here: http://www.ecojustice.ca/wp-content/...ns-updated.pdf)
describes the strategy for creating public doubt about climate change as being
similar to that employed by the tobacco companies to create doubt about smoking
(which ultimately gave rise to a successful RICO prosecution in the US).

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in Canada, and whether
the same approach is adopted in other jurisdictions.

Those wishing to sign the petition supporting this investigation can do so at: https://www.support.ecojustice.ca/ea-action/action

The press release describing the application may
be found at: https://www.ecojustice.ca/pressrelease/leading-canadians-call-for-investigation-of-climate-change-denier-groups/

Six prominent Canadians, including a former Ambassador to the United Nations, have filed an application
with the head of the Canadian antitrust agency to have the misrepresentations
of climate denier groups investigated under the Canadian laws against misleading
advertising.

The application (copy available here: http://www.ecojustice.ca/wp-content/...ns-updated.pdf)
describes the strategy for creating public doubt about climate change as being
similar to that employed by the tobacco companies to create doubt about smoking
(which ultimately gave rise to a successful RICO prosecution in the US).

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in Canada, and whether
the same approach is adopted in other jurisdictions.

Those wishing to sign the petition supporting this investigation can do so at: https://www.support.ecojustice.ca/ea-action/action

The press release describing the application may
be found at: https://www.ecojustice.ca/pressrelease/leading-canadians-call-for-investigation-of-climate-change-denier-groups/

Merchants of Doubt Official Trailer 1 (2014) - Documentary HD - YouTube

[FONT=&quot]One Good Thing About Being Wrong Is the Pleasure it Brings to Others!!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate, at Bergen, Norway.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]* * * * * * * * * [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I must apologize.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 93 years ago.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions, or possibly from horse and cattle flatulence?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I must apologize. I neglected to mention...[/FONT]
Yes, indeed you must apologize - for plagiarism, unless your name also is "rays427", who posted this chestnut in this very thread back in March of this year. Post #2184, I believe. And here was my response then:

Of course you didn't neglect to mention it.

You did, however, neglect to mention that the situation in early winter, 1922 in the area directly around Spitsbergen is known to have been confined strictly to the area directly around Spitsbergen. Per Snopes, as you suggested, you can look it up: https://web.archive.org/web/2010070...RM ARCTIC ICE TRENDS AND GLOBAL WARMING.1.pdf

What you write is absolutely analogous to claiming that winter 2014-5 in the eastern US demonstrates that the earth is undergoing global cooling.

Or that the winter 2014-5 through all of Alaska and western Canada demonstrates the earth is undergoing global warming.

Hmm.

Best stick to the full picture. Don't cherry pick - it's the pits.

[FONT=&amp]I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 93 years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions,or possibly from horse and cattle flatulence?[/FONT]

I have a serious question in regards to that level of nonsense....

Do you honestly believe that everyone looked around... saw a change... and blamed CO2?

Do you honestly believe that understanding the physical properties of CO2 doesn't play a role in the level of concern shown by rational people?

Do you honestly believe that understanding that we're emitting ~40B tons (5ppm of the atmosphere) doesn't play a role?

The theory of AGW pre-dates any observations by decades... and it's 100% about the physical properties of CO2 and radiation... 0% about random anecdotal observations.