Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Chrome accents on the louvered air intakes and rear bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there was a separate tech package, it came with the chrome accents on the louvered air intakes in the front and lower rear bumper. If you didn't get tech, the air intakes were black. Now, there are still cars being shipped without these accents and I can only guess this is for cars that don't choose autopilot? I saw a shiny new 70D in the Atlanta (Decatur) lot without the accents. I just noticed and was wondering, I actually kinda like the black look, but I might have a bias :)

For reference, this is what I'm talking about:

WNGiO2Y.png

New 70D without accents:

Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, I just figured it out. The chrome accents only come with cars with the "Premium Interior and Lighting" package. Go in Design Studio, the image changes when you add/remove that package.

I don't have the premium interior lighting and mines has it.

View attachment 83115

When you got yours, was the tech package still an option? I think it shifted when they changed the website recently, the tech package went away and the Autopilot option appeared. Now it seems that the only way to get the chrome accents is with the Premium Interior and Lighting package, which is kinda funny, since exterior chrome accents are neither of those...

AFAIK every car has the chrome accents. Tech or no tech. It is weird that the deign studio now reflects different options. Maybe a glitch. Give it a day or two, or three. Lol. Do u recall if the black accents you saw were black chrome?

When you got yours, was the tech package still an option? I think it shifted when they changed the website recently, the tech package went away and the Autopilot option appeared. Now it seems that the only way to get the chrome accents is with the Premium Interior and Lighting package, which is kinda funny, since exterior chrome accents are neither of those...

Yes, tech package was still an option. I bought this back in 2013.

That seems like a silly thing to differentiate between models. I'm surprised Tesla doesn't prefer to stock a single type instead of two.
The front accents are part of the fog lights, so they have to stock two different versions already - one with side reflectors only and black trim, and one with the fog and cornering lights and chrome trim. The rear piece could be standardized as well, but it creates more consistency between the front and back.

That's crazy. I have the tech pkg and no fog, but have chrome on either end. I agree with above, why stock another SKU for such a trivial thing? It's not like it will make the buy or no buy decision for somebody. That just adds complexity and therefore cost to the vehicle for no gain in value at all.

The front accents are part of the fog lights, so they have to stock two different versions already - one with side reflectors only and black trim, and one with the fog and cornering lights and chrome trim. The rear piece could be standardized as well, but it creates more consistency between the front and back.

I have a 2013 P85 w/ Tech and no fog lights upon initial delivery, and I have the chrome. Fog lights were installed later. I don't think the chrome louvers are related to the light clusters. They are separate parts.

I have a 2013 P85 w/ Tech and no fog lights upon initial delivery, and I have the chrome. Fog lights were installed later. I don't think the chrome louvers are related to the light clusters. They are separate parts.
I forgot there was a time when Tech Package and Fog Lights were unbundled, so I suppose there were three variants at the time (the third being chrome and cornering lights but no fog lights). These days there should only be two variants.