Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Trax is a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS. It's an overall 5 star crash safety rating from NHTSA with 5 stars all around except for rollover which is 4 stars due to a higher center of gravity in a crossover/SUV (but fixed by a skateboard battery pack in a car like the Bolt or Model X).

Just what about the Bolt prevents it from qualifying as a "ground up EV"? What cars do you consider to be ground up EVs other than the Model S, Model X, and EV1 (because GM shredded it) and why exactly should anyone care? The battery pack in the Bolt is a structural member of the vehicle frame just like the Tesla models. It's a skateboard battery that doesn't take up any interior cabin space. Are you saying that ground up EVs have to be RWD with the motor in the rear? FWD cars have better traction and stability on ice and snow. Cars and trucks are mostly designed to be RWD to handle high levels of power to the road needed for ludicrous mode or towing RVs up mountain passes.

tesla is next level art not just an appliance to get you from point a to b. a ground up ev means zero compromise

----
If there is one defining characteristic of Steve Jobs that has run like a thread through his entire career, it is a genuine obsession with the way that things are crafted. Not merely content to set specifications and see that they were met, Jobs frequently went above and beyond to ensure that the products he had a hand in were made in the best way possible.
In the biography of Jobs released today, Walter Isaacson reveals the likely source of this focus on craftsmanship, Jobs adoptive father, Paul Jobs.
Paul Jobs was a mechanic, good with his hands and intelligent with his work, which largely focused on cars and then constructing metal parts for laser assemblies in Silicon Valley.
“I thought my dad’s sense of design was pretty good,” Jobs told Isaacson, “because he knew how to build anything. If we needed a cabinet, he would build it. When he built our fence, he gave me a hammer so I could work with him.”
Fifty years after the fence was constructed, Jobs showed it to Isaacson, still standing and recalled a lesson about making things of quality that he learned from his father. Touching the boards of inside of the fence, he said that “He loved doing things right. He even cared about the look of the parts you couldn’t see.”
He said that his father refused to use poor wood for the back of cabinets, or to build a fence that wasn’t constructed as well on the back side as it was the front. Jobs likened it to using a piece of plywood on the back of a beautiful chest of drawers. “For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.”
This philosophy led jobs to at least attempt to manufacture Apple products with the same care, even in the details that would be invisible to the user. When the first Apple II casings were delivered, Jobs noticed a thin plastic seaming that was often the result of the injection molding process, he had Apple employees sand and polish them to be displayed at a computer expo.
Jobs even rejected the designs of the original logic boards inside of the Apple II as the ‘lines were not straight enough’.
Not that this stance was without fault, however. It did get Jobs into trouble at NeXT, where the precise cube shape of the NeXT casings caused huge additional production costs and heat issues because the internal boards had to be broken down and stacked, one on top of another.
Although my Dad didn’t raise a billionaire, he is a craftsman and a painter and he instilled in me the same love of details, even those some might think inconsequential. He taught me to wash the undersides of a car’s rocker panels and the engine compartment, things I still do today. I fully believe that the impression my father made on me about the importance of the details has been one of the major components of whatever success I’ve had as a writer and photographer.
Jobs would recall the lessons taught by his father about the attention worth paying, even to the things unseen

Last edited:
Yes it is apples and oranges, but it's not entirely off to compare these two cars. Many people bought the Model S because it was the only EV with a decent usable range. No other EV was even close. Many Tesla owners would not have bought such a high class and expensive car if the Bolt had been around with a similar range. Tesla had the unique position in being the only EV with a 200 miles range and far ahead of the competition so they were able to get sales to people that would otherwise not have considered an upper class car at such a price point. As different as these car might be, once available, the Bolt will certainly eat into the Model S sales. Elon knew that all along and said many times, he wants to build a car that is so good that people would want it, regardless if it's an EV.

In addition to the fact that we don't compare a Mercedes S class to a Hyundai Accent based solely on fuel tank size, there's also the fact that you're comparing a car that still isn't available for sale, with one that was discontinued over a year ago... I would hope that in half a decade they've managed to make some improvements...

Have to admit I never gave it much thought that Chevy (and other GM dealers) could really easily build out a "supercharger" network by installing facilities at all of their dealers.

I know Nissan has done this somewhat.

Well, that depends on the available infrastructure. There might not be enough electrical power available at those spots.
Also, they need some sort of lounge/service offer so people charging have something else to do than look at gasoline cars.
Nissan has tried this (installing CHAdeMO chargers at their dealerships). Here in Norway it hasn`t worked that well. The dealers aren`t located where charging is needed, they haven`t got space or necessary electrical infrastructure for a big charging station, and they`ve used the chargers to make demo vehichles ready for test drives.

The idea isn`t bad, but I don’t think it will work well. Not anywhere near the Supercharger-network at least.

People who have means to buy Tesla will not buy Bolt.
People who can afford Bolt secretly wish they bought Tesla.
And, people who already have Tesla will buy Bolt as a go around town car (since there's not charging network).

Have to admit I never gave it much thought that Chevy (and other GM dealers) could really easily build out a "supercharger" network by installing facilities at all of their dealers.

I know Nissan has done this somewhat.

EVSE's at dealserships often have dealership hours. They don't want you on their lots after hours. It's a terrible way of building out a charging network.

... FWD cars have better traction and stability on ice and snow. Cars and trucks are mostly designed to be RWD to handle high levels of power to the road needed for ludicrous mode or towing RVs up mountain passes.

Off topic, but, no, FWD cars may have better traction, but only because the engine and all the extra weight is on them. Have a 50/50 weight distribution, and there is nothing inherently better in FWD when it comes to ice and snow traction.

Off topic, but, no, FWD cars may have better traction, but only because the engine and all the extra weight is on them. Have a 50/50 weight distribution, and there is nothing inherently better in FWD when it comes to ice and snow traction.

Not true. FWD cars allow the driven wheels to meet the snow first and dig away at the snow. RWD cars must push the front wheels through snow which greatly reduces steering authority too.

This is from a midwesterner who has to drive through 4-6" of fresh snow regularly.

Last edited:
Not true. FWD cars allow the driven wheels to meet the snow first and dig away at the snow. RWD cars must push the front wheels through snow which greatly reduces steering authority too.

This is from a midwesterner who has to drive through 4-6" of fresh snow regularly.

Also FWD cars have the wheels that CONTROL DIRECTION of the vehicle be the driving wheels, instead of pushing the car to just slide in the direction it is pointing currently. Huge difference.

Not to mention that anecdotally, I've heard some Nissan dealers are openly hostile to any non-Nissan owners that try to charge there, or people that didn't buy their cars at that particular dealership, for that matter. I find this especially ironic considering the fact that not all of the dealer-based charging stations are fee-free, either! I think I'd rather stick to public charging stations not tied to a particular dealership, or using RV parks to charge with the necessary adapters.

This is not a question of FWD vs RWD, it is the fact they were force to adapt the EV drivetrain in a space designed for ICE. All the junk mounted up high will push back into the dash just like a ICE motor in a head on collision. The LG Bolt is compromised

Coming to that conclusion is going off of pre-conceived notions. Crumple zones work by having metal deform to absorb crash/kinetic energy. That metal doesn't necessarily have to be a part of the front fender. All those tubes in the bolt hood are compressible and thus can contribute positively towards passenger safety and the electric motor can be structured to drop under the passenger cell in the event of a crash. It's not as safe as a model S, but it isn't a bad design decision by itself.

Edit: from another perspective, having the servicable components under the hood means they can be worked on without lifting the car, something that DIY types would appreciate.