Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checked out my P3D two days before delivery: It's flawless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P3D delivery is scheduled for Monday, 11/12, but as I live only 8 miles from Owings Mills, MD service center I drove there this morning to see if my car was there and, if so, to inspect the exterior thoroughly. Thought that would save some time and hassle on Monday.

Much to my joy, it was in the lot and already labeled as prepped for delivery. It was parked in the main lot (along with probably 50 other 3s, Ss, and Xs) awaiting delivery) It was a bright day, so any problems would have been obvious. The paint was flawless (not single defect that I could find), all of the body panels aligned perfectly, nothing was out of place, and the gaps were very small throughout the car.

Seems like I'll have a flawless MP3. I couldn't be more pleased, especially given all the problems with paint, gaps, etc. that have been posted on this board and the delays in delivery I've experienced.

I'll check out the interior on Monday but I don't expect to find any issues. BTW, my VIN is 75XXX.

Normally when someone says flawless the first thing I think of is "yeah, right"

But, given that it's you I'm apt to believe it.

Congrats.

When I picked up my Model 3 the only one I saw that was flawless was the showroom one. Every other one had at least a few paint issues. Mine was the only one that had a body issue (misaligned front bumper). It basically had wings like my hair sometimes has above my ears.

Even with the showroom flawless one I still felt like the panel gaps were too big. In a year or so I'm going to check out new ones to see how much improvement they make. I believe it's one area they're really focusing on.

Reactions: P85_DA and boaterva
Mine is supposedly in the lot as well, schedule for delivery at Owings Mills next week. I should run up there and check too! My VIN is 81XXX P3D+.

It's interesting that you still use the P3D+ despite taking delivery after the + part in now standard.

How are they handling that $5K difference for you? Are you paying the new price or the old price? I'm assuming the new price.

Mine is supposedly in the lot as well, schedule for delivery at Owings Mills next week. I should run up there and check too! My VIN is 81XXX P3D+.

I highly recommend you do that. I went there on Thursday afternoon but the car was not there. So between then and Saturday morning it was delivered and prepared for delivery.

Congrats.

When I picked up my Model 3 the only one I saw that was flawless was the showroom one. Every other one had at least a few paint issues. Mine was the only one that had a body issue (misaligned front bumper). It basically had wings like my hair sometimes has above my ears.

Even with the showroom flawless one I still felt like the panel gaps were too big. In a year or so I'm going to check out new ones to see how much improvement they make. I believe it's one area they're really focusing on.

I may have missed some very minor flaws but I did check it out pretty thoroughly, looking for all of the things that others have complained about.

I am jealous. I declined my second P3D+ VIN today. They reschedule very quickly, so I expect a third attempt next week. I will probably do what you did and try to inspect it before the date to speed things up if needed.

Drove over again to Owings Mills to snap some photos of the condition of the car. Evidence that paint flaws and panel gaps are not an issue. The last photo is fo a lot full of Xs, Ss, and mostly 3s awaiting delivery.

DSC_8271.jpg
DSC_8274.jpg
DSC_8275.jpeg
DSC_8278.jpg
DSC_8280.jpg
DSC_8283.jpg
DSC_8285.jpeg
DSC_8289.jpg
DSC_8292.jpg
DSC_8296.jpg

Drove over again to Owings Mills to snap some photos of the condition of the car. Evidence that paint flaws and panel gaps are not an issue. The last photo is fo a lot full of Xs, Ss, and mostly 3s awaiting delivery.

View attachment 351665View attachment 351666View attachment 351667View attachment 351668View attachment 351670View attachment 351671View attachment 351672View attachment 351673View attachment 351674View attachment 351675

Looks great!! You're going to love it.

Found mine at Owings Mills this afternoon. Nearly flawless, there's a few nicks in one of the taillight lenses, but no paint or panel gap issues! Looks much better than my X did a year and a half ago.

Going to see if I can move up delivery to tomorrow!

Congrats.

And to the panel gaps, Tesla recently was in the news about a patent for a tool to adjust them so that could be good sign. Not surprised they would come up with some new technique. I was listening to KGO radio while in line at Starbucks drive-thru the other day and had to laugh when the commentator was challenging Elon and Tesla to come up with a way to fix the issue of EVs getting good AM reception through the radio. He said if anyone could do it, surely they could with their people. KGO btw is a SF AM radio station, which I do get on streaming.

Tesla patent addresses panel gaps using clever clamping assembly

So nice to see the photo of all those Teslas waiting to be delivered. Glad your wait is almost over @artsci .

Last edited:
And to the panel gaps, Tesla recently was in the news about a patent for a tool to adjust them so that could be good sign. Not surprised they would come up with some new technique. I was listening to KGO radio while in line at Starbucks drive-thru the other day and had to laugh when the commentator was challenging Elon and Tesla to come up with a way to fix the issue of EVs getting good AM reception through the radio. He said if anyone could do it, surely they could with their people. KGO btw is a SF AM radio station, which I do get on streaming.

Tesla patent addresses panel gaps using clever clamping assembly

So nice to see the photo of all those Teslas waiting to be delivered. Glad your wait is almost over @artsci .

Thanks @SMAlset.

Found mine at Owings Mills this afternoon. Nearly flawless, there's a few nicks in one of the taillight lenses, but no paint or panel gap issues! Looks much better than my X did a year and a half ago.

Going to see if I can move up delivery to tomorrow!

Good to hear. Hopefully they’ll work with you on earlier delivery.

Picked up mine today. Got there 30 minutes early at 9:30 and I drove off with the car an hour later. The car is amazing — quicker than my S, lighter on it’s feet, and more responsive. I love the openness of the cockpit.

• Love
Reactions: mongo and jeffro01