Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port door closes very quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some advice. If you are that put off by fairly minor software glitches, (like a fast closing charge port door), your likely never going to be happy.
Every EV maker has new software to develop and pair with the car. All of them are having glitches. Some more than others. Software glitches are common with every industry.
Nothing wrong trying to get them fixed, but you seem pretty put off by it all, and you’re likely setting yourself up for misery, if you let every glitch put you off like that.
Some better advice for you; stick to the topic which is, "Charging port door closes very quickly".
Your opinion on what software or hardware problems are minor are completely worthless to the conversation.

Some advice. If you are that put off by fairly minor software glitches, (like a fast closing charge port door), your likely never going to be happy.
Every EV maker has new software to develop and pair with the car. All of them are having glitches. Some more than others. Software glitches are common with every industry.
Nothing wrong trying to get them fixed, but you seem pretty put off by it all, and you’re likely setting yourself up for misery, if you let every glitch put you off like that.
Lol I always love these posts and this one doesn’t disappoint.

“Driving an EV is for a special class of elite individuals only. You are not worthy”.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng and RNHurt
Lol I always love these posts and this one doesn’t disappoint.

“Driving an EV is for a special class of elite individuals only. You are not worthy”.
These replies are very predictable aren’t they. :)
You take the context and even exact wording of a thread, and turn it into an overly dramatic exaggeration that wasn’t even stated or implied. Lol.
Gotta hand it to the dramatic, you’re creative when you need to be. :)

As far as I can tell, at least with my car, the charge port closes instantly, which is to say it doesn't feel like there is any delay from me pulling out my charge cable to the flap closing.

It hasn't caused me any issues as yet but at the same time if I somehow wasn't able to pull the cable out in one quick motion I could see how the flap might catch on the cable or something else. Even a 2 second delay would be sufficient I think.

It hasn't caused me any issues as yet but at the same time if I somehow wasn't able to pull the cable out in one quick motion I could see how the flap might catch on the cable or something else. Even a 2 second delay would be sufficient I think.
Agreed! I keep feeling that if I don't pull the cable out exactly right the door is going to come crashing down and break something. It's a tiny fear, but a fear non the less.

There used to be a significant delay before closing the door, at least on my car. The delay was actually a bit long as I could unplug the car, walk to the wall connector and hang up the cord, and almost walk back to the car before it closed. I had many thoughts of catching my sleeve on the door as it closed; it never happened, but I imagined it would. However, this instant close behavior is a bit much the other way.

Can we get a happy medium here? 2 seconds sounds great to me.

It's definitely too fast now. Started with the Holiday update for me. Before that it was too slow.

Coming from another EV here where you had to close the door yourself so it wasn't a big deal when it was too slow since you could just close it. That also means I don't have a native Tesla charger at home, but it works fine with the adapter that came with the car.

I actually had an issue with it earlier this week because I pulled the cable out like usual and I managed to leave the adapter in the car charge port when the door came down. It was early in the morning and dark and I didn't notice it and drove the work in a rain storm. When I came out in the afternoon, I noticed the door was down but not all the way since it was resting on the adapter, but I was unable to remove the adapter from the car until I got home and could reconnect everything and pull it out together again. Surprisingly, the car didn't complain at all that the door wasn't closed. My other EV wouldn't go into gear if the charge door was left open.

Maybe this is a design decision to sell more Tesla chargers since people with adapters are the ones who will be caught unaware the most with it.

I was always told to pull out quick, so it’s not a big deal for me. I just finish off on the hood.
giphy.gif

I can confirm that 2022.4.5 fixes the problem; at least it did for me. When I got the car 18 months ago the charge port closed after a pretty long timeout (15sec?). Then a couple of months ago the port starting closing super quickly (1sec?), which was terrible. Last night I updated to 2022.4.5 and this morning the charge port closed ~5 seconds after extracting the charge plug. I think this is just about perfect.

oh god. I know this one so well. Part of it is a Gen4 (mid 2020-present charge port ECU) issue. Other part is common to Gen3 (Model 3 start-of-production through mid-2020) and Gen4.

One problem: it slaps the door shut on your hand if it "doesn't like what you did". It's done this for YEARS and it's never stopped being annoying, because it's a simple thing to "not do". It does it if you pull the plug out before it's Fully Satisfied. And if it does it with the Tesla plug, too -- you know, the one where the car controls whether you can pull it out or not?! Yeah. 😂 Come on. 100% buggy as heck. That should not happen.

With J1772, the problem is much easier to trigger... you just grabhandleandunplug in one action. Oh it HATES you doing that! Guaranteed way to get an "angry charge port door slap-shut" response from the car. You'll also probably notice that if you have a door open when you do this, you get the "boop boop boop" noise from some kind of fault being reported. The charge port LED also turns red. Oh it's a n g e r y . It shouldn't be... it got the prox signal saying the handle's being unplugged, but lord have mercy if you unplug it before Tesla's industry-leading software responds to cleanly stop charging like ... any other EV out there can do without issue ;)

Second problem: if it closes the door on your hand/on the J1772 adapter, it should re-open if it notices it can't close. This is solely a Gen4 issue. Gen3 (prior to mid-2020) would politely re-open the door if it couldn't close all the way. Gen4 is just like "🤷‍♂️🥴 Welp, we live like this now" if it can't close the door all the way. And you have to go into the car to say "open door" (and hope it's in a mood to actually respond to the button in the car) to get it open / get your adapter back. There's a potentiometer inside the door hinge that tells the charge port ECU (the "Gen3, Gen4" thing) what position the door is at. It KNOWS it's not fully closed, but it CHOOSES to stay that way instead of re-opening. That bugs me the most in my Gen3->Gen4 retrofit project... my charge port used to be smarter, now it's dumb 😂

And again, both of these are simple issues they could fix if they spent just a few minutes on it. That's why it bugs me. That, and the LEDs on the charge port going out after you walk away (though I haven't tested this in months to see if it still does it). So, to passers-by, your car looks like it's not charging, if you're charging in public. Still no hints of a "public charging mode" switch to, say, keep the center display showing the big charging display, and keep the charge port LED(s) lit. (grumble, grumble, chasing FSD and robot squirrels...)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: tm1v2 and Rocky_H
Being a regular user of the J1772 adapter (both at work and at home), the "instant close feature" has been a minor thorn for all the reasons noted. The new 5 sec wait is just fine. @FalconFour, I know very well the frustration of waiting for the car to realize I've pressed the button on the J1772 so I can pull out the plug and adapter. Every other car in the world responds to the J1772 button by cutting off charging in milliseconds (necessary to prevent arcing). I suspect the Tesla charger manages that much, but it can take it's sweet time sometimes deciding to unlock the port.

Doubly annoying is when I have to keep giggling the rear door handle in an attempt to wake the car up without actually opening the rear door so that it will notice I've pressed that button. Almost worth leaving sentry mode on in the garage so it doesn't sleep at night (but not really both because I don't like the constant drain and because it spooks my wife when the headlights flash when she walks by the car). I assume the Tesla plug's RF signal probably wakes the car so that doesn't happen, but I've not used a Tesla plug often enough to know. I could just get in the habit of opening the driver's door first, but I don't usually walk up to the car that way and the cord reel is right next to the door, so having it more than just barely open would be in the way.

Reactions: FalconFour
I don't think you can actually wake the car by "jiggling the door handle", I think it just wakes (slowly) when you press the J1772 button.

My biggest annoyance with the port door is that it doesn't extend the walk-away lock timer. I wish I could open the port as I walk past and be granted an extra second or two to reach for the charger before it closes and locks. My car/phone considers the rear bumper to be out of range so I only have about 2 seconds to grab the charger and get it plugged in before the car locks - difficult to do with a 1772 adapter.
My second biggest annoyance is that the port then stays open for what seems like about 20 minutes if I accidentally bump it in a no-lock condition, like when loading/unloading stuff in my garage or socializing alongside the car.

I don't think you can actually wake the car by "jiggling the door handle", I think it just wakes (slowly) when you press the J1772 button.

My biggest annoyance with the port door is that it doesn't extend the walk-away lock timer. I wish I could open the port as I walk past and be granted an extra second or two to reach for the charger before it closes and locks. My car/phone considers the rear bumper to be out of range so I only have about 2 seconds to grab the charger and get it plugged in before the car locks - difficult to do with a 1772 adapter.
My second biggest annoyance is that the port then stays open for what seems like about 20 minutes if I accidentally bump it in a no-lock condition, like when loading/unloading stuff in my garage or socializing alongside the car.

Oh, pressing the door handle to wake the car (Model 3) is definitely a thing. If your phone's presence doesn't wake the car, you can press the J1772 button as long as you like and NOTHING will happen. Pushing the door handle in will wake it immediately (as long as you push it in far enough...obviously opening the door is far enough :) )

Yeah, having the car ignore your pushing on the charge door because it decided to lock is an oldie, but goodie. Again, Tesla plug users don't run into it because the RF signal from the Tesla plug seems to work anyway. Luckily, I don't run into that one too often.

Anyway, the sad part is that it's all fixable, but Tesla doesn't care about J1772, so they never do.

The update with the new timer is great and definitely solves this problem for me.

I don't have the "wake up" problem because I only charge at home with the J1772 adapter and the car preconditions itself each morning just before I have to leave so it's already awake when I push the adapter button.