Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging option at high SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

Apologies if a newbie or RTFM question.

M3: I have a long trip today - I charged to 97% yesterday - it’s now 95% - I planned to top up 5% then go - but I’m being given no ‘Charge now’ option on the app or dash.

Just Unlock Charge Port/Xharging Complete. Limit is set to 100%

(Strategy stems from risk of 16A issue).

Tried pulling out the plug, putting back in - and Scheduled Dep is off.

Is the high SOC/BMS blocking further charging or am I being a dilbert in some way? Checked manual - didn’t scan anything relevant.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry - added the slider setting in an edit - I’d missed it and it continuing to say Charging Complete.

Feels like a BMS thing....

I have a small jaunt before the main trip - will see if that opens option for a top-up and report.

I found behaviour of charge limits seems to have changed recently. I couldn't set a charge limit < 50%. After a bit of delving, there seemed to be a host of API parameters I didn't recognise relating to charge limits, including upper limits. Maybe it is related to that.

Tried setting the limit in car as well as in app.

I could see it using shore power for A/C when in this state - left it - and I think it got to ~94% and started charging again to 99%.

On said longest journey so far now: absolutely brilliant to drive up M1, and efficiency better than ABRP/in car nav predicting even with spirited driving. Got to Woodall with 26% to spare so no need to be so brutal with the battery in the future.

As no family in car - let it steer in road works for first time. Quite liked it. See what you all mean about the side-to-side oscillation though.

SC at Woodall going stupidly fast. Was worried about service road use - but a lot fewer potholes than expected (resurfaced?) and didn’t feel at all ‘wrong’ using as access for NB to SB.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: ACarneiro
Oh - VanillaAir - I think you were saying about lane positioning a while back. Mine tries to sit a little too far to the left for my liking when it’s steering - but it might be my preference/sense of positioning on the road for all I know. Wrestled with it to the point it quit passing lorries where I wanted more margin for error.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger