Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Experienced the latest variant of poor "charging" etiquette at Ocean Centre car park this afternoon. A Model S "ICEing" a charging bay. Not charging, not even connected to the socket. :cursing:

I am really sorry. I knew my wife drove our car to habour city today, so after i read this, i asked her about it. Turn out she was the one who was iceing the charging bay. i make her promise not to do this again. sorry :redface:

The ignorance of some of our fellow Tesla owners is beyond words. Do they really think, carpark operators designate EV spots in convenient locations, so EVs just can park there without charging? Can't they get it it's for charging only???
Saw these Teslas in Ocean Centre carpark during lunchtime today. Both no charging cable connected. :cursing:

IMG_1819.JPG

We shouldn't be surprised if soon Ocean Centre carpark will move the EV bays to the most inconvenient location or even stop providing charging bays at all.

Last edited:
I am a Tesla Roadster owner and usually park at Hopewell for charging. There are actually only 2 charging bays for roadster but like 6 SCs in Hopewell. One of the Roadster charging bay also has a wall-mounted slow charger for Model S. Since the Roadster charging bays are a bit closer to the elevator, I often found a MS occupying the spot and resulted in only 1 spot left for roadster. I just hope people can be a bit more considerate and understand the roadster cannot use the SCs for charging.

I am a Tesla Roadster owner and usually park at Hopewell for charging. There are actually only 2 charging bays for roadster but like 6 SCs in Hopewell. One of the Roadster charging bay also has a wall-mounted slow charger for Model S. Since the Roadster charging bays are a bit closer to the elevator, I often found a MS occupying the spot and resulted in only 1 spot left for roadster. I just hope people can be a bit more considerate and understand the roadster cannot use the SCs for charging.

I tried that spot a few days ago, but quickly moved to the supercharger.

But it was somewhat of a dilemma, that needs to be discussed and resolved.

There are no more roadsters being produced, but a lot of Model S. If I either don't need to charge a lot, or I need to be gone from the parking lot for several hours - I would be preventing many Model S cars from charging if I was occupying a supercharger spot. IF the Wall Charger spots wasn't used anyway, I could avoid blocking a supercharger spot.

So whether I use the supercharger or wall charger at hopewell - I could potentially be preventing or delaying some other car from charging.

The questions is here - is it used or not? Who will arrive after me, two roadsters, or 10 Model S?

When I was in that spot I noticed that it would easily fit three cars, say two roadsters and one Model S. If they repainted the surface there, it shouldn't be an issue, and hence a Model S that doesn't need to leave so fast, could use the far right spot, still leaving two spots for Roadsters. I walked over to the superchargers and found 4 spots free - and then moved my car over there, before I left the parking lot.

Ideally - parking lots should either have many more charging enabled parking spots, or some kind of valet service. "My car is done charging after xx o'clock - feel free to move it to a non charging spot if needed". Not by anyone, but of course by the parking lot staff. This would 1) increase the capacity of charging spots greatly and 2) avoid the need for people to return in the middle of the movie/dinner/shopping spree, just to move their car a few meters.

As the first secretary ever of the newly formed Charged.hk association, I will keep fighting to make it better for all EVs, or rather, all plug-in electric cars, whether Roadster, Model S and yes - even hybrids (as long as they plug in)

Shouldn't we advocate the use of the SuperchargerQR app?
SuperchargerQR on the App Store on iTunes

From Charged.hk - we are coming up with a much better solution soon *)

We also need to find even better solutions, whether it would be valet shuffling **), more charging stations or a combination thereof.

I cannot disclose any details yet, but rest assured - it will be a very well integrated solution.

*) "Soon" is a word which means in a few days, months or years. Just ask Tesla Motors what "soon" means

**) "Valet shuffling" is a method to optimise charger utilisation by allowing car park staff to move your car from a charging spot to a non-charging spot. This will also remove the need to return to the car park just to move your car.

Hey guys could anyone share the experience with the occupancy of SC in hopewell centre? eg what time busiest
Contemplating to supercharge there before installation of wall connector at home garage.

I'd strongly suggest you install a wall connector at home. There is nothing like the convienence of driving home and plugin in.

Yeah I agreed but my estate management is still negotiating with the supplier to install a central hub before anyone can install their wall connector so during this period have to make do with what nature has :crying:

I've been to Hopewell on weekends and if you're there by 11 or so, SC spots are usually open. From 12-2 I'd forget about it. On Sundays it's also better because most people don't have drivers on Sundays. On Saturdays, you see a lot of drivers sitting in their car charging and presumably leaving after that. I can only assume that owners are telling their drivers to drive to Hopewell and get a free charge then come back.

Hey guys could anyone share the experience with the occupancy of SC in hopewell centre? eg what time busiest
Contemplating to supercharge there before installation of wall connector at home garage.

Hopewell centre is one of my favorite SC location (lee garden is 2nd) and I normally go there by 5:30 (never on Sunday/Saturday) or so. Perhaps I was lucky I haven't seen it full so far.

Lee Garden SC is always full. I regularly check the APP of Lee Garden and notice that. I would wonder whether there are actually so many Tesla go there for charging or simply one or two parked on the SC slots without movement.