Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable overheats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it has been a while since it reduced charge to 16A as I use charge on solar, and it has not given me 32A consistently. But today it was a sunny day, and it dropped from 32A to 16A after some time.

I checked again, and the only thing that was hot were the prongs on the plug. So, that means probably the just installed outlet is bad, it cannot handle 32A. I need to complain to the electrician who installed it.
IMG_7522.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
it has been a while since it reduced charge to 16A as I use charge on solar, and it has not given me 32A consistently. But today it was a sunny day, and it dropped from 32A to 16A after some time.

I checked again, and the only thing that was hot were the prongs on the plug. So, that means probably the just installed outlet is bad, it cannot handle 32A. I need to complain to the electrician who installed it.View attachment 1006936
Looks like you got a Leviton, which is inadequate for continuous duty EV charging. Replace it with a Hubbel 14-50

How does an outlet get a UL approval for a 50A label if it can't handle a 32A load?
Good question. We’ve been wondering that for a long time ourselves. Receptacles used for EV charging loads have been melting for the last ten years. The only good part about it is that other safety systems seem to be working as I don’t recall any house fires because of these incidents.

Reactions: tls
1) it’s not designed for sustained max load for hours like what an EV demands. Other 240V equipment might spike high load for short periods but generally run much lower.

2) it’s not designed to have things repeated plugged and unplugged like you might do for an EV charger. Typically 240V equipment gets plugged in and never moved again. Plugging and unplugging wears down the contacts and causes arcing.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Sti-g
But they could have easily made a mistake. You need to have it checked. Though I would still suggest replacing the outlet with a higher quality one.
Replacing a Leviton 279-S00 receptacle (as the one in the photo appears to be) with a better one could run into the problem in that many other receptacles are physically larger and may not fit in the box (this could be one reason the Leviton 279-S00 is so common -- it has a compact design that fits in places other receptacles cannot fit in).

However, proper installation of the wire connections does nothing to reduce the increased resistance and heat generation from the half size contacts to the plug blades that is evident in the photo.
I have charged on Leviton and other non-industrial but UL listed NEMA 14-50 outlets at 40A consistently over 5+ years without heat or current reduction issues. One key thing that could make a difference is how often you plug and unplug from the outlet. I rarely unplug.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahostmadsen
How does an outlet get a UL approval for a 50A label if it can't handle a 32A load?
50A label is for an intermittent load, not a continuous load that runs for hours. NEC says to derate 80% for continuous, so theoretically, a 50A outlet can handle 40A continuously, although it may not be tested that way.

The problem is these types of outlets actually work for a quite a while with no problems (even the absolute worst Leviton outlet with half sized contacts as shown), but problems may show up months or years later. I doubt the UL test has such long term testing factored in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric33432

I checked again, and the only thing that was hot were the prongs on the plug. So, that means probably the just installed outlet is bad, it cannot handle 32A. I need to complain to the electrician who installed it.View attachment 1006936
You can clearly see the contacts are half sized. And sure enough, it's the Leviton 14-50 outlet that people warned you about.
This is bar none the absolute worst 14-50 outlet you can install for EV charging:
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
There are many cases of overheating when using that outlet, even to the point of melting it.

There are other $10 outlets that have full size contacts, so it's not even a price thing (Lowe's carries a Utilitech):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Black-50-Amp-Round-Range-Industrial-Range/3775483

It's just that Home Depot carries the Leviton, so that's the first thing most contractors grab. I wish there was some warning label on that to say it's not for EV charging.

As per thread linked however, Tesla recommends an industrial outlet (most popular affordable model being the Bryant 9450FR for around $50, which I have myself), but the size is different (diameter of the circle is larger), so a different cover plate has to be used for it, and it's much thicker (so might not fit in some electrical boxes).

Last edited: