Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new MYP owner. Anyone know if you can charge at a Service Center? I’m traveling for the holidays and the Service Center is actually closer to where I’m at than a Supercharger. I’m using the mobile charger on a 110 outlet, but not sure that will get it done. Thanks!

Last edited:
I’m a new MYP owner. Anyone know if you can charge at a Service Center? I’m traveling for the holidays and the Service Center is actually closer to where I’m at than a Supercharger. I’m using the mobile charger on a 110 outlet, but not sure that will get it done. Thanks!

It's my understanding that they primarily not available for public use but some locations allow it.
Agreed. I believe those destination type chargers are generally used for the client cars, either waiting to be serviced, or coming out of service. If you are. "brand new" owner, you might consider reaching out to Tesla and asking them to give you at least the promo being offered, of 1,000 miles of free SuperCharger.

Reactions: OhioBobcat
Agreed. I believe those destination type chargers are generally used for the client cars, either waiting to be serviced, or coming out of service. If you are. "brand new" owner, you might consider reaching out to Tesla and asking them to give you at least the promo being offered, of 1,000 miles of free SuperCharger.
Thanks! I'll definitely call them first if I decide to try to head over. Debating if I want to brave the bomb cyclone ha ha.

@Operator64 is right if it's on the map it's available if not then all bets are off. The only location I've used a supercharger that is co-located with a service center is in Liberty Lake WA, there may be others that are open.
I don’t recall ever seeing the destinations chargers of the service centers, being shown on the Tesla map. I do, however, recall seeing the superchargers whenever there were any at the service center.

This situation has changed over the years. Early on, Service Centers almost always made their superchargers available for charging. That has slowly changed, including locations that previously listed their superchargers as available. In short, if it isn't on your navigation display, it isn't a public charger.

Destination chargers are not generally available to the public at service centers.

If you speak with someone, they might give you permission to use either the destination chargers or the superchargers, but that is not guaranteed.

One of the service centers near me in Rogers MN has 2 superchargers that are not on the find us map - I'd bet there are others like that.
Every service center has at least one super charger inside. Quite a few have superchargers outside.

Lubbock texas has super chargers that are On the map,
And they told me unequivocally that it will be removed from the map when a new supercharger gets installed in town, which they said was already planned for a known location that they didn't reveal.

Every service center has at least one super charger inside. Quite a few have superchargers outside.

And they told me unequivocally that it will be removed from the map when a new supercharger gets installed in town, which they said was already planned for a known location that they didn't reveal.
There are actually 2 planned in town one at the Buddy Holly Center and one at a Toot n Totum convenience store still in planning stages for construction, so I would say unequivocally your informant is poor at keeping up with local current events or just likes to talk without saying much.
Would you like the addresses of these planned sites?

There are actually 2 planned in town one at the Buddy Holly Center and one at a Toot n Totum convenience store still in planning stages for construction, so I would say unequivocally your informant is poor at keeping up with local current events or just likes to talk without saying much.
Would you like the addresses of these planned sites?
It was months ago when I went through. Much may have changed since then.

We don't have either in supercharger.info yet, so, yes, addresses would be great. Can you also provide links or documentation from the city's planning process? We could then start threads here on TMC and then work with supercharge.info admins to add the permit pins.

It was months ago when I went through. Much may have changed since then.

We don't have either in supercharger.info yet, so, yes, addresses would be great. Can you also provide links or documentation from the city's planning process? We could then start threads here on TMC and then work with supercharge.info admins to add the permit pins.
there are already threads here on TMC discussing everything, I guess the moral of the story is don’t provide months old info from a source that often times don’t have a clue what’s going on anyway. Even months ago these locations were known the Buddy Holly Center location has been know over a year.
Interesting development you ACTUALLY participated in the thread in September when you found this ground breaking info and was advised then of the sites.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
there are already threads here on TMC discussing everything, I guess the moral of the story is don’t provide months old info from a source that often times don’t have a clue what’s going on anyway. Even months ago these locations were known the Buddy Holly Center location has been know over a year.
Interesting development you ACTUALLY participated in the thread in September when you found this ground breaking info and was advised then of the sites.
Okay, mate. Taking things personally much? Jeez.

Reactions: outdoors
awwww don’t like being proved wrong? It’s ok I’m sure you have a lot of experience
I don't know what "a lot of experience" is, but I've visited over 1,100 unique supercharger locations and have an informal role in managing the Wiki - Superchargers Visited competition in which we have to keep tabs of available superchargers. The majority of the superchargers at Service Centers are no longer available to the public.

Since neither of us can know the future with certainty, it is a little odd for you to say I was wrong and uninformed. Neither of the Lubbock locations you mentioned is online, so of course, the Service Center will not remove the superchargers from the Nav yet. Even once one goes online, it is unlikely the SC would be removed from the nav immediately. I was searching for the two threads you referenced without linking, and I found the following post from xlpro, who stated in May that a service tech said they would install "temp" chargers, which is directionally consistent with what they told me over the summer.

They told me at the service center they are most likely going to install a few temp Superchargers, my guess is they'll be 72KWH. The chargers at the back are for the service center. It's now open!

Currently, supercharge.info does not have pins for the two locations (Buddy Holly Center and one at a Toot n Totum) you seem to indicate are certain to be built. I can help get them added to supercharge.info if there are threads for them on TMC and there is enough supporting documentation (e.g., approved permits, proof of construction, or media reporting about future locations). It doesn't appear the two future locations have their own TMC threads. Are they just buried in that 22-page Lubbock thread? If so, we should break them out into their own threads. I am willing to help get that done.

As for the status of Superchargers at Service Centers being available to the general public, The table below shows the status as of today. Edmonton, Rogers, and Moraine, were never on the nav. Moraine resulted in the change to the most supercharger visited rules, which now require that it either be on the nav (or mobile app) or have signs that positively affirm that public charging is available. Alpharetta also informed the current rules because it used to have a sign indicating public charging was available after hours (see attached photo) but it no longer does.

1671903122582.png

Anyway, Merry Christmas and stay warm.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_211523.jpg
    IMG_20190203_211523.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 44