Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adapter 14-60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a NEMA 14-60 outlet in my garage (i know its not normal). I use this for arc welding and was hoping to be able to charge my Y on it. EVSE makes NEMA 14-60 adapters but i'm hesitant to use anything aftermarket to charge my car. Has anyone used these products and can someone with more knowledge than me tell me if this would work safely? I'm trying to avoid having to wire in a new 14-50 outlet.

Thanks!!

So I have a NEMA 14-60 outlet in my garage (i know its not normal). I use this for arc welding and was hoping to be able to charge my Y on it. EVSE makes NEMA 14-60 adapters but i'm hesitant to use anything aftermarket to charge my car. Has anyone used these products and can someone with more knowledge than me tell me if this would work safely? I'm trying to avoid having to wire in a new 14-50 outlet.

Thanks!!
I did it for the last year at my old house. Works just fine.

Upvote 0
The basics when using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector would apply.

Make sure that the 60A breaker and 14-60 receptacle wire connections are properly torqued. EV charging is a continuous load application (unlike welding equipment.) If not properly torqued, over time, the wire connections can loosen and overheat. Loose wire terminations can easily cause an electrical fire.

Leave the Mobile Connector power plug adapter (or EVSEAdapters plug adapter) plugged in. Repeated plugging and unplugging from a 240V high amperage receptacle such as 14-50 or 14-60 will affect the grip of the receptacle on the plug over time, causing the connection to become looser.

Don't let the Mobile Connector electronics chassis hang supported by the receptacle and power plug adapter. The chassis should be secured to the wall or stud to relieve any strain on the plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit for the Mobile Connector that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis and a cable hanger for the charging cable. You can find similar charging cable organizer kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy, else you can fashion your own mount.

Tesla Cable Organizer

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
Upvote 0