Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Tesla in Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2011 E-Autos rollen ab Band - TexxEnergy
res469914_resize_1460x960_2.jpg

Back from vacation in Ticino! As it was family vacation, it was not with the roadster.
But I have seen that Ticino has many charging points! Very well done! Look at LEMnet - Internationales Verzeichnis der Stromtankstellen. There are really many charging stations which can be used with the Park and Charge key!
In the best parking zone in Lugano are two places reserved:

th_f9bb74f2.jpg

It is only 16A, but ideally situated.

On the other side of the lake, in Bissone there ist the most southern charging station with 32 A as far as I know. So Eberhard, next time you or me tempt to drive to Monaco this could be the place to charge. Also on a beautiful place in walking distance to Restaurants. But look at this plug. How can I convert to my red CEE plug?

th_545cf9e8.jpg

th_6947596b.jpg

th_26a1840b.jpg

Snap! I was also in Ticino, also saw the same style charging stations, but in the centres of Locarno and Bellinzona.

I was left wondering how tourists would use charging points that are behind a lock? Does the local tourist info hold keys they lend/rent out?

Charge and Park is European. It is the same key for all charging stations in all the countries. But most of them are in Switzerland, Germany and Austria as far as I know.
The charging stations in Ticino are also in the local network, so may be you could get the key for those localy.

I have seen that Ticino has many charging points! Very well done! Look at LEMnet - Internationales Verzeichnis der Stromtankstellen. There are really many charging stations which can be used with the Park and Charge key!
RiParTI e Park & Charge di nuovo insieme!!! 1° febbraio 2011 Riparti & Park & Charge have again the same key
Dal 1° febbraio 2011 tutte le colonnine aderenti al sistema di ricariche RiParTI saranno accessibili con la stessa chiave del sistema Park & Charge (P&C) attivo nel resto della Svizzera.
Coloro che sono in possesso della Vignetta RiParTI 2011, ma che necessitano della Vignetta P&C 2011 per recarsi in Svizzera tedesca o romanda, possono richiederla gratuitamente ad

infovel (091 646 06 06, oppure [email protected]).

On the other side of the lake, in Bissone there ist the most southern charging station with 32 A as far as I know.
CH-6816 Bissone TI, 280 m NN
• Posteggio comunale, Strada cantonale, info(at)bissone.ch, Comune di Bissone
• 3 prese (CEE, T23, 32/16/10 A, FI) / aperto: 24 h / Tempo limitato: 4 h / costi dell’ energia: Sistema Park & Charge / Ubicazione: Parcheggi ex-Albergo Pesce, entrata sud del nucleo

The blue 3pole CEE32 in Bissone seems a modified Charging Station. I will find out if the CEE32 is Mode 1, 32A, or CEE32plus Mode 3. My interpretation of the picture is, Mode 1 , because i dont see the two control pins.

That might be for Italians, they do not use CEE16plus Mode1/3 Automation.

Most southern is:
CH-6828 Balerna TI, 270 m NN
• Chicco d’Oro, via Monti 10
• 3 prese (T13, CEE, 32/16/10 A, FI) / aperto: 24 h / 1 parcheggio, riservato clienti-visitatori Chicco D’oro / costi dell’ energia: Sistema Park & Charge / Posteggiare: gratuito

I will find out if that Station is original CEE16plus Mode 3, 32A, with CEE16 mode 1 plug, only 16A.
If you see the BRUSA 16/32 OMNICHARGE ELECTRONIC, there is a mode 1/3 Automation with limitation 16A at mode 1

But look at this plug. How can I convert to my red CEE plug?

Mode 1 higher 16A, does not respect IEC 61851, wich limits Mode 1 to 16A

Riparti & Park & Charge had original Mode 1&2 only 16A, 32A was original CEE16 plus, Mode 3, Teslarodster is Mode 2

To get a "Mode 3 to Mode 2 Adapter Cable" contact Park & Charge Eduard Stolz

but why should we support a company, that denies the european Charging coordination.,

I like to support Roadster Drivers, but that leads teslamotors, to ignore european grid conformity

I prefere to support Teslamotors and Drivers for European Grid Conformity, like retrofit for 3phase charging 3x16A 400V 11kW Mode 1, with Typ 2 Inlet to the Roadster,

or to charge, without hardware modification at the rodster, at home or work, with a HPC, 50A 240V, from CEE32 Mode 1, what needs a allowance of the utility, and software support of teslamotors.

Mode 1,2,3,4:

IEC 62196 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
EMQ your post is very interesting, clearly you know more then I do, but I do not understand your explanation fully:

"The blue 3pole CEE32 in Bissone seems a modified Charging Station. I will find out if the CEE32 is Mode 1, 32A, or CEE32plus Mode 3. My interpretation of the picture is, Mode 1 , because i dont see the two control pins."

So, you think this is Mode1? At your Wikipedia link it is said that Mode1 is limited to 16A.
Is this definition of MOde 1 to 4 helpful for us at all?
If you can find our whether there is a way to charge our Tesla with 32A on this place, this would be great!

"Thats why Texxenergy Stations, with Mode 1 CEE32, 32A, like in Belinzona , are not at the lemnet, because Texxenergy did not manage to coordinat with park&charge."

As far as I know Texxenergy are on lemnet, but are not in the "Park and Charge" network. I think one of the main resons Texxenergy are not in the Park and Charge network is that they think that you should not have charge stations *for free", because nobody is interested to invest in something that is free afterwards.

"To get a "Mode 3 to Mode 2 Adapter Cable" contact Park & Charge Eduard Stolz"

What do you mean by that? In the definition of those modes, the plugs are not defined, isn't it?

"but why should we support a company, that denies the european Charging coordination.,"

Are you talking here about Tesla? Or about Texxenergy or RiParTi?
If you are talking about the Tesla, then the answer is that we should support them becaus we drive them.

"Most southern is:
• Chicco d’Oro, via Monti 10"

It says reserved for clients and visitors of "Chicco d'Oro", so is it not open for public? Do you know that?

If you prefer you can send me a PM on German, I really would like to know how I can charge in Ticino and in Italy.

Thank you

P.S:
I would be ready to translate it in English

Last edited:
Respectfully, please would emq post again in German (using mitrovic's questions as a guide to areas of confusion). And then hopefully someone will translate to English. I am very interested in the content, as one day I want to charge in Ticino, but I think we are lost in translation. For my part I apologise that I don't speak German.

QUOTE=Mitrovic;75417]EMQ your post is very interesting, clearly you know more then I do, but I do not understand your explanation fully:
"The blue 3pole CEE32 in Bissone seems a modified Charging Station. I will find out if the CEE32 is Mode 1, 32A, or CEE32plus Mode 3. My interpretation of the picture is, Mode 1 , because i dont see the two control pins."
So, you think this is Mode1? At your Wikipedia link it is said that Mode1 is limited to 16A.

Open Question, i will answer.

Is this definition of MOde 1 to 4 helpful for us at all?

Is your Question: Why Is 32A only Mode 3.

If you can find out whether there is a way to charge our Tesla with 32A on this place, this would be great!

"Thats why Texxenergy Stations, with Mode 1 CEE32, 32A, like in Belinzona , are not at the lemnet, because Texxenergy did not manage to coordinat with park&charge."

As far as I know Texxenergy are on lemnet, but are not in the "Park and Charge" network. I think one of the main resons Texxenergy are not in the Park and Charge network is that they think that you should not have charge stations *for free", because nobody is interested to invest in something that is free afterwards.

I was not correct.

Texxenergy is at lemnet, with special icon.
Texxenergy wantet to get a park&charge key, but they do not support IEC 61851-1 with the limitation of 16A in Mode 1.

"To get a "Mode 3 to Mode 2 Adapter Cable" contact Park & Charge Eduard Stolz"

What do you mean by that? In the definition of those modes, the plugs are not defined, isn't it?

32A Mode 1 is unoficial, specialy single phase 230V, only for experianced experts.

"but why should we(park&charge) support a company (Teslamotors), that denies (IEC 61851-1) the european Charging coordination.,"

If you are talking about the Tesla, then the answer is that we should support them becaus we drive them.

We support Teslamotors to respect International Standards

Teslamotors does not support europaen Roadster Drivers in oficial charging higher than 16A, 3,6kW. The US Rodster Charger is only EU compateble up to 16A (single phase, 230V)

How can I support you fully and other Roadster Drivers, if teslamotors does not support International Standards like IEC 61851-1 compleatly, an does not support you in charging european conform.

"Most southern is:
• Chicco d’Oro, via Monti 10"

It says reserved for clients and visitors of "Chicco d'Oro", so is it not open for public? Do you know that?

My interpretation: "Chicco d'Oro" installed a Charging Station, for their clients, at one of their view parkingplaces, so If "Chicco d'Oro", is open, you should enjoy a Consumation, if it is closed you use Park&charge.

If you prefer you can send me a PM on German, I really would like to know how I can charge in Ticino and in Italy.

Thank you

P.S:
I would be ready to translate it in English[/QUOTE]

I sent Mitrovic a privat mail to clear the open questions.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on european standards and the lack of support by the american companies.
when i adressed this to Elon Musk, JB Straubel and Blankenship, they told me they were unaware of the European standards. As well they thought, that american grids are most advanced, therefore what works in america is overkill for europe.
They have problems to accept, that the european grids are more advanced than america and that 3-phase is widly available.
i asked Elon Musk to sell me a PEM with 3phase charger and that i want to pay for that upgrade.

Last edited:
Code:
Originally Posted by Eberhard
i ask Elon Musk to sell me a PEM with 3phase charger and that i want to pay for that upgrade.

My sugestion is, to do the retrofit in cooperation with Teslamotors support, but carry out in EU. In switzerland there are expearienced companys, for EV Prototypes and Retrofit.

I prefere Teslamotors spend there Energy in EU conform smart charging for the S-Model.

They can copy the Retrifit 3phase tecnology, for the last view roadsters, manufacturing for EU.

Last edited:
how many of us EU owners would be interested in pettioning TESLA about this?

Who likes to pettioning Teslamotors, to support an upgrade light, without modifications at the roadster, to charge at home or work (Stationary) with 50A 240V, from the red 5pol.CEE32 230/400V, with 32A fuses.

The support is only software, it works with ACPropulsion equipment with standard software.

Last edited:
Who likes to pettioning Teslamotors, to support an upgrade light, without modifications at the roadster, to charge at home or work (Stationary) with 50A 240V, from the red 5pol.CEE32 230/400V, with 32A fuses.

The support is only software, it works with ACPropulsion equipment with standard software.

then it is phase to phase at 400V?