Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port LED Ring Failed... again... and again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Going in Friday for Charge Port #3!

Go Tesla!

I'll admit it's festive, but for the love of F___ I'm so tired of getting to know my service center...

Maybe by now they've run out of non-power-closing ports? Doubtful... but whatever.

Attachments

• 25624678_10213074597112451_208654008_o.jpg
    25624678_10213074597112451_208654008_o.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 301
I've heard the powered ports don't physically fit into the non-powered cars. I don't know if I believe this; people made up all sorts of incorrect reasons why other retrofits weren't possible that were later proven to be easy. I haven't seen a writeup of an attempt to upgrade to powered port yet, but if you get one let us know.

I have a powered port spare, waiting to attempt an install whenever the weather is nice enough to motivate me... so probably June.

Tesla called me back, suspecting it's just the LED ring, not the port, and offered their "mobile" service... saving me 2.5 hours of driving... so although I'm not happy it's failed again, Tesla seems to really step up the service game. Makes me confident in our model 3 purchase...

And reiterates that the second mine is out of warranty, I'm replacing it with one that's under warranty...

I had to get my charge port replaced recently. I asked 2 different advisors and a technician if they could upgrade the car to the auto closing port. All 3 people told me it is not possible to do, that there is an additional wiring harness that would be required.

my light ring has been replaced 3 times I think, but maybe just 2. After the ring replacement last year at my 4th annual it failed 1 day later!! WTF?
& they have had my car 3 times since then and still did not fix it. just cosmetic I guess but pretty lame

+ I was also told the wiring is not there for self closing port as the others were.

@RedMS...just a couple of the ring lights

Last edited: