Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charfing a non-Tesla EV with Tesla home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all.

I think this has been covered on the forum with US posts but can't see it in the UK and Ireland section.

Is anyone using a Tesla wall connector to charge a non-Tesla EV in the UK? Thinking of getting an older Nissan Leaf as a second car so we're a fully electric household along with my upcoming Model 3 and want to get a feel for how we might deal with having a shared charger before committing to 2 wall charger units.

If you're using a non-Tesla charger for both tell me more about that too as I haven't taken the plunge on the Tesla charger yet. But as it's incorporated into a full solar quote, I can live with some of the non-OLEV cost as there are installers on site.

TIA

Is anyone using a Tesla wall connector to charge a non-Tesla EV in the UK? Thinking of getting an older Nissan Leaf as a second car so we're a fully electric household along with my upcoming Model 3 and want to get a feel for how we might deal with having a shared charger before committing to 2 wall charger units

Tesla wall connector will charge other EVs with no problem, but it has a tethered cable with Type2 connector - suitable for almost all new EVs on the market (including current model Nissan Leaf), but not older Leaf that has the Type1 connector.

If you do go for the Leaf, your options are:

• Get a socketed (non-Tesla) chargepoint and separate cables for the two cars.
  • Get two chargepoints, one for each car. If you have enough supply capacity they can just be simple ones (one could be the Tesla WC), otherwise you will need smarter ones that can share available power (you could in theory use a pair of Tesla WC and change the cable on the 2nd one, or you can use a Tesla plus something like Zappi that can monitor the overall house consumption).
  • Use an adapter on the end of the Tesla cable. These are illegal to sell (though several suppliers do) and have certain safety issues, but are cheap.

Tesla wall connector will charge other EVs with no problem, but it has a tethered cable with Type2 connector - suitable for almost all new EVs on the market (including current model Nissan Leaf), but not older Leaf that has the Type1 connector.

If you do go for the Leaf, your options are:

• Get a socketed (non-Tesla) chargepoint and separate cables for the two cars.
  • Get two chargepoints, one for each car. If you have enough supply capacity they can just be simple ones (one could be the Tesla WC), otherwise you will need smarter ones that can share available power (you could in theory use a pair of Tesla WC and change the cable on the 2nd one, or you can use a Tesla plus something like Zappi that can monitor the overall house consumption).
  • Use an adapter on the end of the Tesla cable. These are illegal to sell (though several suppliers do) and have certain safety issues, but are cheap.

Thanks Arg. I’ll ponder this and do some research. Very succinct answer. Very much appreciated.

I have solar, a 3P and a Zoe. We're currently multi tasking off the same charger. We always try to charger the car when the settings or as a priority, but we only produce just over half of the power draw of charging.

Obli (if I may take the liberty of calling you that) are you saying that you’re drawing from the grid for 50%? How much solar and how much solar generated storage do you have?

Obli (if I may take the liberty of calling you that) are you saying that you’re drawing from the grid for 50%? How much solar and how much solar generated storage do you have?

No you may not! I keed, I keed.

Flat out, the roof pumps out 3.6-3.7 kW consistently in full sunlight. We don't have storage yet, Powerwall soon. When we're not charging a car, we turn the underfloor right up in wineter, which uses its full output!

No you may not! I keed, I keed.

Flat out, the roof pumps out 3.6-3.7 kW consistently in full sunlight. We don't have storage yet, Powerwall soon. When we're not charging a car, we turn the underfloor right up in wineter, which uses its full output!

Ah! Ok. And I’ve read up on the solar thing so much the last few days that I’m a tad wiser now too. My proposed solar setup WILL have a Powerwall so we can hopefully juggle the generation and use without getting too fuddled in the world of feed in tariffs and the whole vagueness that is where we are going with the whole selling back power situation.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Have a look at a PVOutput.org site near you to see what they are producing at different times of day and season.

I'm sure I'm being thick. Turns out I have an account (must have created it years ago ...). Couldn't find a way to find anyone near me. I managed to find someone well over to the West of me, by finding a Region called "East of England" but FIND for Towns, Country name etc. all fail. Even FIND for "Cambridge" finds nothing (in the UK)

I'm sure I'm being thick. Turns out I have an account (must have created it years ago ...). Couldn't find a way to find anyone near me. I managed to find someone well over to the West of me, by finding a Region called "East of England" but FIND for Towns, Country name etc. all fail. Even FIND for "Cambridge" finds nothing (in the UK)

But find for CB2 throws up a few results!

Thanks. May have been a glitch, as it seems to be working better now.

But find for CB2 throws up a few results!

Now found one in my postcode area, address clearly includes that lead-postcode text ... but FIND doesn't find that or me.

I would have thought "near me" would be a big attraction. Finding one, scrolling the map sideways, clicking on the e.g. East-most one ... gets me a fresh map, but no additional pins to the right of that one :(

Hmmm ... now spot that one near me only has data for March and April ... 2012 :(

But having got that one, near me, the MAP option is showing me some others locally ... although they appear to all be in a single Team, so maybe there are others nearby, just not in that Team.

Blinking heck! Clearly written by a programmer ... stuck in a broom cupboard.

Looks like search is broken - do a search for 'cam'

No its not, go to live output and do a search for 'cb2 100km' and it will show systems within 100km of CB2. Select one and you will see the live output. You can then select map and crawl through others.

Pay attention to ones of similar size to what you are thinking of and time of last update.

Last edited:
To be fair to him, its really designed for monitoring your own outputs. The ability to find others is a secondary feature.

Yup, absolutely no problem with that, but missing a big opportunity I reckon.

My searching isn't improving

PVOUT01.jpg

PVOUT02.jpg

This "weekly" average has both 16th and 17th June. Looking at the 16th (for this location) there are only readings on one day that week - the 16th - and at 5 minute intervals ... from 09:05 to 09:20.

To be able to use the data comparatively to any effect I'd need to have some indication of completeness / statistical analysis assumptions and so on.

I ought to upload my own ... but I only read the meter once a week

If you go to 'pv ladder' and chose one from there, they have health status. I have 100% health over 2000 days of outputs every 5 minutes :) Its really a system that comes into its own for continuous logging rather than the odd weekly reading.