Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla thinks it can MANAGE YOU by smiling while not communicating honestly while taking your final payments.

I think dishonesty is only part of it. The larger part is that Tesla really does not know what's going on with the Model 3 production - ramp speed, materials used, supply chain, quality, slowdowns, etc. They're making it up as they go along, and they are afraid to tell the truth.

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
Pretty much. We will each accept it, or not. Those are the choices.

I think what makes it different is that people are spending very good money for this car....so Tesla really isn't doing any favors making this car nice. We are paying for nice, People waited for almost 2 years for "nice", however for some people....the only recourse is making it nice after you make the purchase. It might be difficult to install, however I might try it. Its not really that expensive so i'm not sure why Tesla and/or its vendor would abandon it.

Lt Gray "Alcantara" Type Suede 5 Yards Auto Headliner Fabric | eBay

This arrogant statement pissed me off even more. Is there no communications team at Tesla?

So it's just fine that two cars bought at the same price ON THE SAME DAY have different materials.
That’s what annoys me most of all.
They claim not to have communicated that - except every car before this week and every press shot they released showed a specific material.
What they didn’t do is communicate until forced to.

I hadn't noticed this before:
LoginNew-AntiHero.png

How many people were talking about their headliner before this whole thing came up? As in, how many people were like "wow this headliner material is really premium and just great" - because i didn't see ANY of that. Therefore, is this really that significant or impactful?

I honestly could not care either way as i'm sure (and others have posted pics) the new fabric is still a premium material and i trust Tesla not to put something crappy in the premium upgrade for a $50K car.

However, I totally agree that Tesla needs to be more transparent with how they implement these changes, especially with how the ordering/configuring process works and the lag between sending large amounts of money and receiving a car.
The headliner is one of the things that get many compliments in our Tesla’s, do you have one? I am quite impressed with the Alcantara headliner in our X and our S. We had the same material in our AMG E63 and our SL but those were high trim level cars. Tesla has been installing the Alcantara even in base S and X cars for years. We drove and closely inspected a model 3 about a week before configuring our first of two 3’s and that is now in production. I am very let down with this downgrade and will not purchase with out the implied and displayed materials. The 3 has a boarder line cheap interior as it is and this change pushes it below acceptable for something they called premium. Tesla put the cheap fabric liner for a short time in some early model X cars and I almost bought one before I saw it in person. It was winter when I went to pick it up in NY and there was some dirt or road grime on the light colored A pillar which they tried to clean, the fabric easily abraded showing off it’s lack of durability. Clearly not premium. I then purchased another one with Alcantara.

The headliner is one of the things that get many compliments in our Tesla’s, do you have one? I am quite impressed with the Alcantara headliner in our X and our S. We had the same material in our AMG E63 and our SL but those were high trim level cars. Tesla has been installing the Alcantara even in base S and X cars for years. We drove and closely inspected a model 3 about a week before configuring our first of two 3’s and that is now in production. I am very let down with this downgrade and will not purchase with out the implied and displayed materials. The 3 has a boarder line cheap interior as it is and this change pushes it below acceptable for something they called premium. Tesla put the cheap fabric liner for a short time in some early model X cars and I almost bought one before I saw it in person. It was winter when I went to pick it up in NY and there was some dirt or road grime on the light colored A pillar which they tried to clean, the fabric easily abraded showing off it’s lack of durability. Clearly not premium. I then purchased another one with Alcantara.

Hmmm... having both an S and a 3 I can’t really say I think the 3’s interior is borderline cheap feeling. Especially compared to the S. And even if it is, for a comparable battery it’s what, $40000 less? It should by all rights be cheaper feeling. The fact that it isn’t is remarkable to me. Maybe if the only thing that makes a premium interior is Alcantara, which I would dispute.

To do list:
1. Install outlet in garage
2. Black out chrome
3. Protect paint
4. Tint side windows
5. Install Blackvue
6. Replace wood trim dash (If its not white w/ white interior)
7. Cover headliner in Alcantara

Am I missing anything else. Maybe they will just send me all the trim pieces separate to save me the work of taking them all off.

Side note, People are going to flip when they switch to the roadster steering wheel without telling anyone.

• Funny
Reactions: Andrew
Hmmm... having both an S and a 3 I can’t really say I think the 3’s interior is borderline cheap feeling. Especially compared to the S. And even if it is, for a comparable battery it’s what, $40000 less? It should by all rights be cheaper feeling. The fact that it isn’t is remarkable to me. Maybe if the only thing that makes a premium interior is Alcantara, which I would dispute.
Yeah it isn’t much different than our S either but the interior of the Tesla was never the selling point. They are a big step down from premium cars but the electric and AP are the redeeming selling points. That said when you start stripping more features away the redeeming qualities are not as strong of a draw. Very disappointing removing one of the only "premium feels" of the premium package.

I was getting worried and then I looked a the headliner in my 2016 Model X and it has the exact same woven material and the Model 3 and it looks great and I love it. This is much to do about nothing. I'm very much forward to my Model 3 delivery with a woven textile headliner later this month!
I didn’t accept a new model X that had the cloth headliner and waited for another one with the alcantara (car also had other issues). Fabric is just a cheaper material, possibly it’s just brain washing because it’s usually only in higher trim models of high end cars.

Volkswagen and Audi change things mid-year all the time with no notice or announcement. I've personally owned a car that said one thing in the manual and had another thing in the car. I have often had to include a VIN when ordering parts because of this. It's probably done on other brands, I just know for certain with VW/Audi.

Tesla is doing a terrible job of communicating about this and managing customer expectations with some of their biggest fans. That's bad. But the mid-run change without an announcement is not weird for a car manufacturer at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Status
Not open for further replies.