Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose this is a retarded, flamebait question... but all of you that are holding a CHAdeMO adapter I suppose were on the wait list since the beginning of time? The shop still shows it as "coming soon" for me...

Yep....

Most people are 2013 wait listers. But I just got on it - email. Looks like #800 or so right now and I fully expect mine in less than 3 months. Once they are making them, I would think 100 a week is not too much to ask?

I doubt that many of them sell enough Leafs (I guess that's the right plural?)

I prefer Leaves. :biggrin: You can always say “Leaf vehicles” or something like that instead…

- - - Updated - - -

Yep....

Most people are 2013 wait listers. But I just got on it - email. Looks like #800 or so right now and I fully expect mine in less than 3 months. Once they are making them, I would think 100 a week is not too much to ask?

I asked to be added to the waitlist on November 29, 2013 9:39 AM. Confirmation reply came back from Tesla on November 29, 2013 12:47 PM. Offer to purchase came February 13, 2015 9:45 AM. About 14½ months’ wait time.

Doing some Chademo charging today with Ruby at the Caltrans Del Lago Park and Ride Blink DC Fast charge site in Escondido just north of San Diego...We stayed on it for about an hour while eating next door and gained 142 miles (78 to 220 miles of range)...Held pretty steady at about 116-117 amps, and started to ramp current down slightly at about 200 miles...Nice...

One tip for new adapter users: Before connecting adapter and attempting a charge session, close the car doors and trunk and use your fob to lock the doors. Some DC Fast chargers will show an error if the car isn't powered down when attempting to charge, and using your key fob is the easiest way I know of to shut the car down...A passenger can still be inside. Once the charge session starts, it's okay to open the doors...

Del Lago DC FC1.jpg
Del Lago DC FC2.jpg

I tried a Nissan unit yesterday.
Started at 154 miles, so 78% or so on my 60. Charge fluctuated between 71A and 75A. Initial power calculated 26.5 kW. There was no significant taper until the cutoff at 181 mi = 90%. I'm lead to assume that the 75A limit is imposed by the charger. Rate of charge was 88 mi/hr throughout, so not great.

Will try this one again with a less full battery when I get a chance.

Started at 154 miles, so 78% or so on my 60. Charge fluctuated between 71A and 75A. Initial power calculated 26.5 kW. There was no significant taper until the cutoff at 181 mi = 90%. I'm lead to assume that the 75A limit is imposed by the charger. Rate of charge was 88 mi/hr throughout, so not great.

Might be that Nissan 25kW limit is imposed globally...

I suppose this is a retarded, flamebait question... but all of you that are holding a CHAdeMO adapter I suppose were on the wait list since the beginning of time? The shop still shows it as "coming soon" for me...

I just received an email invitation to buy one. I think I expressed an interest about a year ago. So, general availability seems a ways off.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the Tesla Motors CHAdeMO Adapter. We are excited to inform you that we have a limited quantity of CHAdeMO adapters available for your position on the waitlist. Please use the link below if you would like to place an order for the CHAdeMO adapter in our Tesla Gear shop. There is a limit of one adapter per vehicle. Please provide your VIN when placing the order to avoid any delays in fulfillment.

[..]

Please do not share this link with others. All orders will be cancelled from customers who have not received this notification. [..]"

I've been able to get 105 amps on Nissan units down here, although there is one that is derated to 95 amps...

I've been able to get 105 amps on Nissan units down here, although there is one that is derated to 95 amps...
Out of my curiosity, what do those Nissan chargers look like? Are they slim ones? Also how do CHAdeMO connector locks look like? Do you grab the handle to start the charge, or do nothing to start, but press the button to remove the connector?

I'll take pictures next time. Mine was slim. The connector has the horribly designed lever that has to be squeezed to lock the connector to the socket. It took me three hands to connect to the Tesla adapter - had to clamp the cable between my legs to get it to latch. Next time I'll try with the adapter plugged into the Tesla first.

It's a free standing CHAdeMO at a Walgreens, same as I remember at our Nissan dealer where we leased our Leaf.

Edit: Here is a picture from PlugShare:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 906
Last edited:
Given some of the recent ambiguity of make/model info based on descriptions, it would be great if users could get pictures of the make/model/serial number plate along with a picture of the unit.

Thanks for all of the reports. I am still waiting for my e-mail to order an adapter.

Washington State Green Highway Aerovironment L3

We used our CHAdeMO adapter for the first time yesterday. Both sessions were on Aerovironment L3 chargers that are part of the Washington State Green Highway system. The first attempt at Sultan, WA was less than satisfying with much fussing around required to get the adapter coupled with the connector. Then, our Aerovironment RFID Fob was not recognized so had to call the help desk. After several tries all was well and we started getting 393 Watts at 114 Amps. Second charger was in Skykomish, WA and the attachment was flawless leading me to believe the L3 in Sultan was more at fault than the Tesla adapter. The RFID was still not recognized so called the help desk again to start the session. Once charging started we saw 357 Watts at 115 Amps. The benefit for us is that on a 400 mile round trip we can charge for about one hour at an L3 and have enough to make it home.

We used our CHAdeMO adapter for the first time yesterday. Both sessions were on Aerovironment L3 chargers that are part of the Washington State Green Highway system. The first attempt at Sultan, WA was less than satisfying with much fussing around required to get the adapter coupled with the connector. Then, our Aerovironment RFID Fob was not recognized so had to call the help desk. After several tries all was well and we started getting 393 Watts at 114 Amps. Second charger was in Skykomish, WA and the attachment was flawless leading me to believe the L3 in Sultan was more at fault than the Tesla adapter. The RFID was still not recognized so called the help desk again to start the session. Once charging started we saw 357 Watts at 115 Amps. The benefit for us is that on a 400 mile round trip we can charge for about one hour at an L3 and have enough to make it home.
(bold face mine)
You'd hate it if your car charged at < 1 kW. I'm sure you mean Volts which gives you much more reasonable ~43kW :)

Got my adapter today. Tested it on a local nrg eVgo station. It's a dual port station that has one CHAdeMO and one CSS plug. It worked at the first attempt, all connections clicked in easy. Max power was 46 kW. Once I got to 80%, it started to reduce power gradually. The ABB charger blew mildly warm air, but nothing dramatic. I only charged for 45 min, but I doubt there would be any overheating issues had I charged longer. The adapter itself didn't get warm at any time. All in all a very positive experience. ABB chargers seem to be reliable. Charging stopped automatically at the limit I set in the car.
But man that huge plug and adapter together are a ugly combo!
20150224_150050.jpg

Last edited:
Wild hair question.

So now that the chademo adapter is shipping. Is there a snowballs chance in hell that they engineered it to do 2 way? As in Nissan leaf to home? If it does, I will purchase one ASAP! My utility company decided that if I use EV rates that they are going to F)(*K me in July and Aug between 2pm and 7pm .50 cents a KW! The usual .04 nighttime charge and .05 daytime is great. But wow am I a client for a Leaf with Leaf to home or at least a Tesla battery backup. WOULD LOVE IT IF IT WOULD WORK!!! But - I'm not holding my breath...

Moorhead

So now that the chademo adapter is shipping. Is there a snowballs chance in hell that they engineered it to do 2 way? As in Nissan leaf to home? If it does, I will purchase one ASAP! My utility company decided that if I use EV rates that they are going to F)(*K me in July and Aug between 2pm and 7pm .50 cents a KW! The usual .04 nighttime charge and .05 daytime is great. But wow am I a client for a Leaf with Leaf to home or at least a Tesla battery backup. WOULD LOVE IT IF IT WOULD WORK!!! But - I'm not holding my breath...

Moorhead

Yes, that would be really great for homeowners, but I don't think Tesla will do it, and here's why. A supercharger in the car gives you the right to unlimited supercharger fill-ups. If you could then power your house from the car you could use the supercharger to indirectly power your house. Maybe they can come up with some creative solution in the future to prevent that particular use and yet enable two-way movement of electricity from the battery.