Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Touchscreen: Blank Screen of Death

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 (Oct) P85. My MCU locked up on me last week... while driving, the navigation map wasn't updating. I tried the scroll button reset and the screen went dark and never came back. Called Tesla and they had me try the reset also. Ended up back home and my Air Conditioning wouldn't shut off, also couldn't charge the car. Spent an hour on the phone with Tesla, multiple tries to reset, no luck. AC ran most of the night, but at one point stopped in the middle of the night - can't turn it back on, can't access anything anymore, even thumbwheels can't access stuff like open sunroof, turn on AC, etc. App can't access the car.

Took it into the Service Center (no Tesla loaners available, using a Hertz rental - they never have loaners available any more) and they notified me they have backordered a MCU for me. Just rolled over 50k miles last month.

I have had various problems with screens freezing, both the instrument cluster and the center screen. Both have been replaced in the past.

Interesting note - Tesla mentioned over the phone to disconnect any USB devices, as they can cause an issue at boot-up, if any of my music has corrupt files.

Very disappointed with Tesla quality lately.
Tesla also told me to remove any USB drives when we were trying to recover the screen. Mine in also a 2013 P85 (VIN 11781). 145k on mine.

The screens had been acting up a bit over the past few weeks, but a scroll wheel reset had always corrected the issue. Like you, it finally just completely died, except mine was the opposite in that the AC was off and I couldn't turn it on, even from my phone. At least I have a Model S loaner while waiting for the part to come in.

What Service Center in FL do you use?

My black screen happened just recently 85, September 2014 build, just before dual motor and soon after AP1. Sudden onset, unresponsive, told to remove USB, no help. Centre screen replaced under warranty for “internal error”.lost all driver settings in the process.
Drive unit replacement just about 3 weeks earlier for milling noise. 40000 odd km.

Happened to me today. The whole center screen is dead. Tesla support walked me through the reboot attempts, but no joy. Drove it to work, despite it being 19 degrees with no heat functionality at all. It's also a damp day, so the windows were fogging all the way with no way to clear them. Add this to a bad passenger seat sensor and disabled passenger air bag, and that equals a not so great new car experience. I've been a Tesla admirer for years, so it sucks calling in late due to a broken car.

Anyway, the nearest service center is 180 miles away, so we'll see what Tesla does.

Tesla support had been unresponsive. They were supposed to call back but never did. I called them back this evening and they have no recommendations, except to call the SC to schedule an appointment. I've decided to try and drive it the 180 miles to the SC, despite the cold temps and not having heat or defrosters. I'd rather it be parked there waiting for parts than look at a broken car all weekend and next week. Plus we need a reliable car (loaner) for work.

Besides the broken passenger seat and MCU, the IC has been blanking out randomly also, and my key fob stopped working tonight. I hope the wife's key keeps working...

I guess we got a lemon...

I am now experiencing the same issue - only 7K miles on my 90D. Black touchscreen with no turn signals, heat, etc. Driving in 23 degrees with fogged windshield. I will call Charlotte NC this morning to see if they're willing to pick it up and bring a loaner. Will keep you posted. I was scheduled for a service visit this Friday with constant loss of back up camera and some brake issues.

Here's something I just discovered. It seems to be the USB cable! Here's what I mean:

I have a new 100D with less than 2,000 miles on it. I had some suspension trouble and the techs came out on site (I live in Michigan) and determined that it was a software issue. They loaded a new firmware update for my suspension and I ran the update overnight. Next day no problems. The following night I charged the batteries and then when I got back into the car the following day, I had a black center console and a message on the dash "Systems are Powering Up Press Brake When this Message Clears". Message failed to clear so I hit the brake anyway and the car started up but with the center console still being black.

I drove it and got out of the car and when I restarted it on 2 additional occasions, no center console. I found this discussion thread and tried the reboot mentioned with my foot on the brake while pressing om both scroll wheels for over a minute. No luck. I then pulled out my USB cable from the USB port and wallah! The center console screen showed the Tesla symbol and then turned on. Please note that there was NOTHING attached to my USB cable. Since then, so far, the console has been working properly.

I wonder if somehow, the USB cable built up a static charge within the port and thereby locked up the motherboard of the center console.

Yesterday came out to a P85 black touchscreen the morning after getting it back from service. Was greeted by a systems powering up, that stayed on the screen. Nothing roadside had me try worked. Support said it showed a software update in progress for the past 9 hours. Ended up flatbedding it off to service.
I don't really want it back. It's been in 22 times in the last 18 months, sometimes like now, twice in a week. Mainly control arms and door handles. I've been a believer in these cars since the start, now I'm just at my wits end. My wife's M3 will be here in a couple of weeks. If we decide to keep the M3 (she's not sure any longer) I'll refuse software updates until it goes in for service. These updates are starting to be like Microsoft updates; Russian Roulette. Last software update caused the instrument cluster to constantly reboot while driving.
If my wife had this many problems, missing flights, she'd lost her job by now. No car is worth that.

Not impressed.