Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell phone holder: What a GREAT idea !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I promise if it's real 3M VHB tape it'll come off easily enough when it needs to. I had one on my previous dash (matt obeshe, I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong) for the best part of 3 years, and it left no mark when removed. Recently I've been trying all kinds of devices on by carbon dash, and again, there's never any mark or residue left. On the flip side, I just moved a mount in my wife's Q5 that was stuck to the soft trim, and it has left a small mark, so I'd always stick to the smooth surfaces.

The option of using the airvent mounts doesn't really work in S & X, due to the overhang of the top part of the dash. Plus in the summer I need all the vents at full tilt, so it's not a great option regardless.

We'll have a Qi-enabled charger for sale within a week, it's compatible with our existing mount, so if you already have one of those then it's a trivial replacement (of the magnetic mount with the new Qi-enable micro-suction mount), otherwise it comes with it's own mount as well. Qi charging doesn't play nice with the metal plated needed for the magnetic mount, so we had to find an alternative solution.

• Informative
Reactions: avesraggiana
Yeah, I promise if it's real 3M VHB tape it'll come off easily enough when it needs to. I had one on my previous dash (matt obeshe, I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong) for the best part of 3 years, and it left no mark when removed. Recently I've been trying all kinds of devices on by carbon dash, and again, there's never any mark or residue left. On the flip side, I just moved a mount in my wife's Q5 that was stuck to the soft trim, and it has left a small mark, so I'd always stick to the smooth surfaces.

The option of using the airvent mounts doesn't really work in S & X, due to the overhang of the top part of the dash. Plus in the summer I need all the vents at full tilt, so it's not a great option regardless.

We'll have a Qi-enabled charger for sale within a week, it's compatible with our existing mount, so if you already have one of those then it's a trivial replacement (of the magnetic mount with the new Qi-enable micro-suction mount), otherwise it comes with it's own mount as well. Qi charging doesn't play nice with the metal plated needed for the magnetic mount, so we had to find an alternative solution.

That’s the problem right there with the air vent mounts, the dash overhang. I’ll look for your Qi-enabled product over the next several days.

By the way, I’m very happy with your interior light replacement kit. Certainly adds a lot more “sparkle” to the interior, especially with the premium white vegan leather.

Reactions: pete8314
the airvent mounts doesn't really work in S & X, due to the overhang of the top part of the dash.

Solution:
1.use the Steelie clamp on vent mount. It is the most secure vent mount. And it sticks out far past the overhang. Except throw away the thick magnet that goes on the phone.
2. Use the Anker or techmatte ball mounts, except throw away the ball mount part and put their pivot magnets on the Steelie ball. And use the Anker or techmatte thin plate on your phone.

That combination of two products is the best that I have found because the steelie vent mount is secure but uses the thinner techmatte disc on your phone and the techmatte magnet makes it sticks out a little farther past the overhang.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SG0DW4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZ5FI7Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PRPRNN/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution:
1.use the Steelie clamp on vent mount. It is the most secure vent mount. And it sticks out far past the overhang. Except throw away the thick magnet that goes on the phone.
2. Use the Anker or techmatte ball mounts, except throw away the ball mount part and put their pivot magnets on the Steelie ball. And use the Anker or techmatte thin plate on your phone.

That combination of two products is the best that I have found because the steelie vent mount is secure but uses the thinner techmatte disc on your phone and the techmatte magnet makes it sticks out a little farther past the overhang.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SG0DW4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZ5FI7Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PRPRNN/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already use the Steelie clamp on vent mount, and it does clear the overhang, barely. I use the driver’s side vent by the door, and then rest the bottom of my iPhone on the lower dashboard trim which has a small lip on which to rest the phone. However, I’ve found that the clamp doesn’t quite clamp strongly enough. I’m not very strong but I regularly manage to pull my phone off with the magnet, the ball and the clamp all attached to my phone.

I may take another look at the Steelie mount that’s NOT a vent mount. I thought I saw another design.

I’m really interested now, in your upcoming Qi-enabled charger. I just discovered, unlike our earlier 2017 build Model S, our newest Model X does NOT come with a centre console phone rest and USB charger. Actually, I can’t remember if the USB charger came with the Model S, or if I ordered it.

Anwyay, will keep checking your website.

May I present something called an iOttie Version 4. It works pretty well mounted this way.

Note: I left the mount on the dashboard overnight. I tried to pry it off this morning so as to transfer it to my other car. Even after releasing the suction cup lock, I couldn’t get it to budge. It’s attached to the obeche gloss trim like a barnacle. That’s a good thing, I guess...

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy 1