Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell phone holder: What a GREAT idea !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what about a Kenu Airframe ? clips to any car vent

I have an Airframe which I've been using for a long with my iPhone & Audi.
Today I have a 70D on an overnight test drive and thought I'd check if it my Airframe fits, and it does. photos below.

like any vent-clip, downside is that it partially blocks airflow, but at least the Airframe is less bulky than most of the other vent clips out there. Quick and easy to mount/unmount the phone, and works with any iPhone case. Depending on your seating position, the steering wheel may partly block your view of the phone. unlike my old car, the Model S vents are not quite as conveniently positioned for this, but anyhow it works

I got one of these, it works ok. I ran a USB lightning cable up from the armrest up to the phone. The only things I don't like about this is that it's $20+, it's easy to have the spring clips turn off your iphone unless you mount it high and you have to use 2 hands to mount it to the dash. Personally I really like this: Amazon.com: Car Mount, Aerb Air Vent Magnetic Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6S/6, Galaxy S6/S6 Edge, iPhone 5S 5C 5 4S, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Sony Xperia Z2, HTC M9, LG G4 and GPS: Cell Phones Accessories It's way cheaper, and it's like the Abstract Ocean mount, but it clips to the vent. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it's worked out very well the last few months.

Does anybody else have some pics? I was at CulverCity recenty SpC'ing and was talking to the TESLOOP guy. I like the idea of a suction cup mount right on the dash but worry about it over time pulling away the face of the glossy front.

Anybody use something similar?

Does anybody else have some pics? I was at CulverCity recenty SpC'ing and was talking to the TESLOOP guy. I like the idea of a suction cup mount right on the dash but worry about it over time pulling away the face of the glossy front.

Anybody use something similar?

I use a suction cup mount as pictured below. I had to modify the holder part, as I didn't want the "X-mount." I wrote up all the details in another thread, and can find that if you are interested.

Ram Mount Perspective.jpg

Man, no offense to everyone, but how can you do this to the beautify interior of the Tesla? :D

No one else uses the Tesla OEM phone dock? I love it...phone slides in super easy and it charges at the same time. Yes, its out of your way...so you can't use it, but I'd say that's for the better? I'll grab mine and look if I get a notification but Id still rather have it away and charging when not in use, which is most of the drive.

Reactions: YNOT3
Man, no offense to everyone, but how can you do this to the beautify interior of the Tesla? :D

No one else uses the Tesla OEM phone dock? I love it...phone slides in super easy and it charges at the same time. Yes, its out of your way...so you can't use it, but I'd say that's for the better? I'll grab mine and look if I get a notification but Id still rather have it away and charging when not in use, which is most of the drive.

If that was directed at me, the mount is actually quite slick looking, and it's completely out of the way. I don't think I'm in any way detracting from the beauty of my interior.

I actually have the Tesla console, and the phone dock, but a) it is set up for my wife's iPhone, and I use an Android phone, and b)it is so out of the way that it isn't functional for me. I prefer to have my phone where I can see it without really looking completely away from the road. It's within view, but not in the way at the same time.

To each his own, I guess, but I am very happy with my set up.

I'd say very few people use the center console dock, at least based on the amount of phone holders we've sold (which granted, isn't exactly conclusive, but there's also an awful lot of threads covering this same topic). I'm with @Andyw2100, the location (for me) is very unsafe. I'd be lying if I said I had the discipline to never look down at the phone when it goes off, so I'd rather it was in, or close, to my line of sight. Plus I use my phone nearly all the time while driving for Waze, so it wouldn't be sensible to have in in the console. Now, if Tesla ever figure out the screen mirroring, then everything changes!

It will stick to dash with its own adhesive backing. Hey, these things have to clip or get attached somehow. Generally, you can remove easily with something like dental floss and any residue cleans up leaving no trace.

Understand that many can't stand the idea of physically sticking something to the dash of this fine car, but to each his own.

Reactions: avesraggiana
It will stick to dash with its own adhesive backing. Hey, these things have to clip or get attached somehow. Generally, you can remove easily with something like dental floss and any residue cleans up leaving no trace.

Understand that many can't stand the idea of physically sticking something to the dash of this fine car, but to each his own.

Yes. Thanks for prompting me to get over myself. There doesn’t seem to be any one solution that’s completely satisfactory when it comes to these things. Windshield mounts are illegal in California and I wouldn’t want one anyway; air vent mounts don’t really work in a Tesla because the arm or the base on most of them don’t extend out far enough to clear the upper lip of the alcantara covered dash top; we don’t have CD slots in our cars; which leaves glueing or sticking something onto our glossy wood dash trim.

I’ll do the California-thing and meditate about this, take my yoga class, go on a fast and cleanse and then come up with some affirmation - "It’s only a car, its’ only a car, it’s only a car...”

*Breathing deeply now...*