Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Leaf made up a bulk of the non-Tesla EV volume (110k vs Bolt at 24k), and Tesla is by far the largest (and back then it can only use CHAdeMO).
In 2017 the LEAF had dropped to ~ 11k sales in the US, lagging by far Tesla and CCS.

All the LEAF on the road were '24 kWh' EVs that are city commuters. It actually was not until the LEAF+ came out in ? 2020 that Nissan offered an EV that kinda sorta was a short trip car that owners might take advantage of CHAdeMO.

CHAdeMO has been dead for years, and it predated EA. The ****only*** reason VW and CARB came to their gentlemanly agreement to offer token CHAdeMO at EA locations was a head fake to give cover to their decision to exclude Tesla under the BS pretense of 'open standard.'

Why do I say the 'open standard' flag waving was a red herring ? Because the ONLY manufacturer who approves changes to CHAdeMO is Nissan. It is every bit a proprietary standard as the Tesla plug, albeit dressed up with a rubber stamp. That did not bother them in the slightest because this was politics and anti-Tesla market manipulation, not a technical decision or A MARKET DECISION.

Listen, MS Windows in Government should tell you all you need to know about how important open standards are to our bureaucrats.

Just look at what happened with EA. They were allowed to put two CCS connectors on all chargers except for one, such that they built just one CHAdeMO connector per site. How did that happen? Well, some idiots who wrote the agreement that VW accepted as a settlement for the dieselgate scandal apparently didn't specify a ratio of connector types, and just mentioned that they have to have CHAdeMO and CCS at every site.
The $2 billion EA funding was only one part of multiple penalties for dieselgate. It was more of a forced investment since under the terms they largely were allowed to spend the money how they wanted and got to keep the business with a potential for selling it or running it profitably after the 10 year time of the agreement runs out.

The larger $2.9 billion environmental trust fund is more of an actual penalty. VW had to fund it rapidly and the money is entirely controlled by the federal, state, and tribal governments in the US.

They also were found liable in other cases and agreements worth several billion more including paying to repair and buyback (optional to vehicle owner) huge numbers of cars.

Last edited:
In 2017 the LEAF had dropped to ~ 11k sales in the US, lagging by far Tesla and CCS.

All the LEAF on the road were '24 kWh' EVs that are city commuters. It actually was not until the LEAF+ came out in ? 2020 that Nissan offered an EV that kinda sorta was a short trip car that owners might take advantage of CHAdeMO.

CHAdeMO has been dead for years, and it predated EA. The ****only*** reason VW and CARB came to their gentlemanly agreement to offer token CHAdeMO at EA locations was a head fake to give cover to their decision to exclude Tesla under the BS pretense of 'open standard.'

Why do I say the 'open standard' flag waving was a red herring ? Because the ONLY manufacturer who approves changes to CHAdeMO is Nissan. It is every bit a proprietary standard as the Tesla plug, albeit dressed up with a rubber stamp. That did not bother them in the slightest because this was politics and anti-Tesla market manipulation, not a technical decision or A MARKET DECISION.

Listen, MS Windows in Government should tell you all you need to know about how important open standards are to our bureaucrats.
Well that's certainly a new theory I haven't heard previously, but it still supports the point of the move giving VW an advantage over other competitors.

To drive it back to the original discussion as it relates to CCS adapters, no matter the reason of the original VW move, in the same vein, I don't see the government doing anything about "spirit" violations, when they don't lay out the explicit connector standard ratio in their grant. Of course, I don't believe we have any examples yet of projects approved by this new law (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to see an actual example), so we don't really know the explicit requirements. The actual text of the bill is way too vague to make any solid judgement.

Figured I would provide an update.

My vehicle is a 2020 Model Y with CCS1 support being enabled

Received my evhub adapter.

Tried the only electrify america in my local area. On the 350 and 150kW stalls, the max I charged at was 37kW. The odd thing was that both stall screens showed that the vehicle was pulling 47kW. But the tesla screen said we were charging at 37kW.

Since chademo was also available and i have that adapter as well, I decided to see if maybe it was just my car. chademo was able to pull 45kW. The stall screen showed 47kW and the car showed 45kW.

I am not sure why I got such slow speeds on the CCS1. I am going to try an EVGO 50kW station this week to see if I can at least get it to go more than 37kW.

That sounds like it was heating your battery...
True. Is it possible that your car’s battery was cold? It would not have preconditioned (heated) the battery in advance since Tesla only does that at the moment when navigating to actual Tesla Superchargers. Tesla needs to somehow enable preconditioning now when navigating to high-power CCS chargers also.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Well crap, that sucks. I am not sure how new the EVgo near me is. I will probably just wait until Friday when I will be taking a day trip where there is another Electrify America station on the way and my SoC will be lower.
I track "date opened" on fastcharger.info so you can check there...the date should be fairly reliable for EVgo stations. Nissan dealers, not so much because it usually reflects when they installed their first J1772 station.

Reactions: kayak1
True. Is it possible that your car’s battery was cold? It would not have preconditioned (heated) the battery in advance since Tesla only does that at the moment when navigating to actual Tesla Superchargers. Tesla needs to somehow enable preconditioning now when navigating to high-power CCS chargers also.

Tesla actually does start preconditioning when you navigate to one of the 3rd party high speed charging sites it knows about. (E.g., EVgo stations that have the tacked on CHAdeMO->Tesla boxes.)

Tesla actually does start preconditioning when you navigate to one of the 3rd party high speed charging sites it knows about. (E.g., EVgo stations that have the tacked on CHAdeMO->Tesla boxes.)
Those are the only third party sites we can navigate to in the US though for on-route warm up. Tesla will show Francis and Chargepoint DC chargers on my map but I've never had the car precondition on the way to them when I navigate there.

I hope when the CCS adapter comes out they bring those chargers in for on-route warm up. I'm sure they don't do all chademo chargers now because most don't have the adapter. Maybe they should give us a menu option to indicate which adapters we own (Chademo and CCS options) so we can navigate to compatible chargers and get optimal speeds.

Those are the only third party sites we can navigate to in the US though for on-route warm up. Tesla will show Francis and Chargepoint DC chargers on my map but I've never had the car precondition on the way to them when I navigate there.

I hope when the CCS adapter comes out they bring those chargers in for on-route warm up. I'm sure they don't do all chademo chargers now because most don't have the adapter. Maybe they should give us a menu option to indicate which adapters we own (Chademo and CCS options) so we can navigate to compatible chargers and get optimal speeds.
They should just have a precondition option where you set how many minutes you think it will be before you start charging. You shouldn't need to use the vehicle's nav system at all.

Reactions: kayak1
My car was preconditioned (and garage kept where the temp was 55F over night). Vehicle had 45 minutes to precondition (had navigation set to supercharger near me). And it doesn't explain why chademo charged faster and the kW were more closely matched. I tested the chademo between switching from a 350kW to a 150kW stall.

So it went this way.

350kW gave me 37kW
Switched to chademo which gave me ~45kW in car and the 47kW on screen
Switched 150kW and it gave me the same 37kW as reported by the car. (this was the exact same stall as the chademo as the stall had the 150kW CCS1 and the chademo)

I don't think chademo would somehow bypass issues with the batteries being cold.

I am not saying something is wrong with the adapter. Something weird was obviously going on and I will likely be able to replicate on Friday. If Friday works, then it just means something is wrong with the whole EA site. Which isn't crazy as I have been to superchargers that had a power issue that limited how fast I could charge.

Reactions: dhrivnak
My car was preconditioned (and garage kept where the temp was 55F over night). Vehicle had 45 minutes to precondition (had navigation set to supercharger near me). And it doesn't explain why chademo charged faster and the kW were more closely matched. I tested the chademo between switching from a 350kW to a 150kW stall.
People have actually been asking for this for a while now. The thinking that CHAdeMO is limited to ~45kW max, and that it doesn't need to heat the battery as because of the lower maximum charge rate. And that heating it much while on CHAdeMO is just a waste of energy.

CCS would have a higher maximum charge rate, and so could possibly use to heat the battery more.

Also, what was the SoC of your car at the time you were testing this?

Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H