Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla takes the government's money (public money) to build Superchagers and use every possible chicanery to prevent non-Teslas from using them, you have to wonder how competitive Tesla vehicles really are.

That's an indication that Tesla believes that, absence the advantage of the Supercharger, Tesla vehicles are losing their competitiveness.
They don't have to prevent non-Teslas from using them, just use the funds in a way that favors Tesla (just like VW did). They have every right to do so given most likely the grant does not cover the entire installation (this is different from the VW settlement, where the funds were in lieu of a equivalent penalty). Note Tesla is opening their superchargers to non-Teslas in certain places in Europe, even ones that were fully funded by Tesla though.

EA was founded under the VW's settlement for dieselgate. One of the "spirits" was the settlement was not supposed to favor VW over competitors.
Electrify America - Wikipedia
CARB guidance laid that out explicitly for advertising:
"Public awareness is described as brand-neutral education or public outreach that builds or increases public awareness of ZEVs. Programs cannot feature or favor VW vehicles or services but they can contain the statement, “Sponsored by Volkswagen” although not prominently"
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-03/zip_1_ guidance_ac.pdf
However, they failed to explicitly lay out corresponding guidance for the charging station standards.
This allowed VW to violate the "spirit" of the settlement, by giving themselves a competitive advantage in building it (building only one CHAdeMO per station, even though at the time, that was not proportional to the share of vehicles). Just an example article that discussed this:
WIND-WORKS: Electrify America's DCFC Stations Favor CCS Charging Standard

Neither CARB nor the federal government did anything about it. So I doubt they will do anything either if Tesla uses federal grant funds to build stations, while still giving themselves a competitive advantage at those stations.
They don't have to prevent non-Teslas from using them, just use the funds in a way that favors Tesla (just like VW did). They have every right to do so given most likely the grant does not cover the entire installation (this is different from the VW settlement, where the funds were in lieu of a equivalent penalty). Note Tesla is opening their superchargers to non-Teslas in certain places in Europe, even ones that were fully funded by Tesla though.
Your argument is a red herring.

Volkswagen doesn't own CCS.

CCS is non-proprietary.

Any automaker can use CCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your argument is a red herring.

Volkswagen doesn't own CCS.

CCS is non-proprietary.

Any automaker can use CCS.
The article and point about VW's move was not mine. But it's blatantly obvious to anyone that the move was designed to give VW an unfair advantage, given at the time the Leaf made up a bulk of non-Tesla EVs (not to mention Teslas being able to use the CHAdeMO using the adapter at the time, but not the CCS). They hid behind the fact that CCS could be used by other cars too, but it's not hard to see past the motive (otherwise, why not at minimum build CCS and CHAdeMO in equal share or at least a couple of CHAdeMO instead of just one).

You can see the same point in the grants you posted yourself, that there is a requirement to have both CCS and CHAdeMO ports in equal share. Another example (I can find the link if necessary), but I remember a CARB meeting where GM pushed to have public stations be required to be CCS-only and not have any CHAdeMO, and Nissan fought back pointing out how it was obviously self-serving (it's irrelevant that there are other automakers that can use CCS, the point is the move was designed to hurt their main competitor, the Leaf). CARB accepted Nissan's argument.

If you can't see that point, then we can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna and Rocky_H
tYeah, if the Feds give Tesla money to open new chargers and get access to the entire Tesla Supercharger Network, that's a bargain
Tesla would be open to that if the Feds were willing to do that. The sticking point for Tesla was always that they need anyone that wanted access to contribute upfront to the network (not just feed off it in per-session manner, which is not sustainable, given the network is money-losing in the first place). So doesn't matter if it's the government contributing or automakers themselves.

I say however the chances of this happening with this administration is almost none, given it seems they have a beef with Elon/Tesla and would not want to give Tesla any possible credit for driving the American EV market.

The article and point about VW's move was not mine. But it's blatantly obvious to anyone that the move was designed to give VW an unfair advantage, given at the time the Leaf made up a bulk of non-Tesla EVs (not to mention Teslas being able to use the CHAdeMO using the adapter at the time, but not the CCS). They hid behind the fact that CCS could be used by other cars too, but it's not hard to see past the motive (otherwise, why not at minimum build CCS and CHAdeMO in equal share or at least a couple of CHAdeMO instead of just one).

You can see the same point in the grants you posted yourself, that there is a requirement to have both CCS and CHAdeMO ports in equal share. Another example (I can find the link if necessary), but I remember a CARB meeting where GM pushed to have public stations be required to be CCS-only and not have any CHAdeMO, and Nissan fought back pointing out how it was obviously self-serving (it's irrelevant that there are other automakers that can use CCS, the point is the move was designed to hurt their main competitor, the Leaf). CARB accepted Nissan's argument.

If you can't see that point, then we can just agree to disagree.
CHAdeMO was the preferred standard for Asian automakers (minus China) while CCS was the preferred standard for European and American automakers (san Tesla).

Volkswagen, itself an European automaker, no doubt prefers CCS, and so does Electrify America by extension.

That said, the claim that the choice of CCS is to give Volkswagen an anfair advantage is pretty far fetched since many other automakers (particularly European and American automakers) also prefer CCS.

Furthermore, as previously pointed out, CCS is non-proprietary and any automaker is free to use it.

Yes, certainly Tesla could act in bad faith and against the intent if not the letter of the laws. I don't doubt their ability to do so. I just hope they don't, especially since they have no interest in opening up TPC as a standard that anyone other than them can install. Their insistence on treating TPC and the SC network as a proprietary product that they'd only open up reluctantly and under extraordinary circumstances/payoffs was one of the early things that soured me on Tesla as a company advancing electric vehicles, not just selling cars to make money. If the regs have to be written to force Tesla to not deliberately take money to install a substandard product, then I suggest writing regulations as tightly as necessary on the government's infrastructure bill money to do that, or giving as little of that money to Tesla and more to others installing stations like EVGo, Electrify America, Chargepoint, Francis, etc.
Just FYI, as far back as 2014 Tesla announced that it was allowing competing automakers to design their EVs to use Tesla Supercharger stations. There seems to have been little interest among other manufactures to cooperate with Tesla on the charging front.

• Love
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Just FYI, as far back as 2014 Tesla announced that it was allowing competing automakers to design their EVs to use Tesla Supercharger stations. There seems to have been little interest among other manufactures to cooperate with Tesla on the charging front.
They didn't publish it as a standard, they said they'd be willing to allow other manufacturers to pay licensing fees to use their standard, with (if I recall IIRC) those payoffs including major upfront payments for access to the network and then an upfront payment for each car built with it. They also didn't as I understand it talk to any of the other charging networks or the manufacturers of charging equipment. That's not really allowing other manufacturers to use the port as a standard.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy and Jeff N
This allowed VW to violate the "spirit" of the settlement, by giving themselves a competitive advantage in building it (building only one CHAdeMO per station
You still seem to be stuck in this mistake. Here's who they were giving "advantage" to:

GM, Ford, Buick, Porsche, Jaguar, Rivian, Lucid, Honda, VW, Toyota, Kia, Mini, and everyone else
...except Nissan and Tesla.
Everyone except those two use CCS, so it was serving the electric car market as a whole, not just themselves.
in a way that favors Tesla (just like VW did).
VW did not.
But it's blatantly obvious to anyone that the move was designed to give VW an unfair advantage,
It's obvious that it was not.
They hid behind the fact that CCS could be used by other cars too,
That's not "hiding". That is doing the sensible and rational thing that the data supports.
but it's not hard to see past the motive (otherwise, why not at minimum build CCS and CHAdeMO in equal share or at least a couple of CHAdeMO instead of just one).
Because the EV market IS NOT AN EQUAL SHARE between those two! I already pointed out above that CCS is used by all of the other auto makers except for Nissan and Tesla. CHAdeMO barely exists and was only being used by ONE maker, who is now phasing it out too. It would have made no sense at all to do half and half with CHAdeMO.

Just thought I would give an update on my evhub order since they are shipping out of the Ukraine. I decided to bite the bullet and hope they had all the issues resolved.

Mine shipped on the 28th, it is arriving today at my house and I will be testing at Electrify America this evening. 2020 Model Y. CCS enabled.
Awesome. I did the same, but my adapter is still in transit. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: kj71109 and kayak1
If Tesla takes the government's money (public money) to build Superchagers and use every possible chicanery to prevent non-Teslas from using them, you have to wonder how competitive Tesla vehicles really are.

That's an indication that Tesla believes that, absence the advantage of the Supercharger, Tesla vehicles are losing their competitiveness.
If <insert any company name here> is allowed to take the government's money and violate the spirit of the law, blame the idiot politicians for not writing the law or regulations properly. If someone writes a piece of software that has a security flaw in it that they gets exploited, do you put more blame on the people using the exploit or the people who wrote the buggy software in the first place?

Just look at what happened with EA. They were allowed to put two CCS connectors on all chargers except for one, such that they built just one CHAdeMO connector per site. How did that happen? Well, some idiots who wrote the agreement that VW accepted as a settlement for the dieselgate scandal apparently didn't specify a ratio of connector types, and just mentioned that they have to have CHAdeMO and CCS at every site.

You still seem to be stuck in this mistake. Here's who they were giving "advantage" to:

GM, Ford, Buick, Porsche, Jaguar, Rivian, Lucid, Honda, VW, Toyota, Kia, Mini, and everyone else
Everyone except those two use CCS, so it was serving the electric car market as a whole, not just themselves.
Even Nissan switched to CCS. Their new Ariya is CCS.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If <insert any company name here> is allowed to take the government's money and violate the spirit of the law, blame the idiot politicians for not writing the law or regulations properly. If someone writes a piece of software that has a security flaw in it that they gets exploited, do you put more blame on the people using the exploit or the people who wrote the buggy software in the first place?

Just look at what happened with EA. They were allowed to put two CCS connectors on all chargers except for one, such that they built just one CHAdeMO connector per site. How did that happen? Well, some idiots who wrote the agreement that VW accepted as a settlement for the dieselgate scandal apparently didn't specify a ratio of connector types, and just mentioned that they have to have CHAdeMO and CCS at every site.
Are your arguing that EA should have had a different ratio of CCS to Chademo? Personally, I think keeping to one (and now none) Chademo per site is about right....

VW did not.

It's obvious that it was not.

That's not "hiding". That is doing the sensible and rational thing that the data supports.

Because the EV market IS NOT AN EQUAL SHARE between those two! I already pointed out above that CCS is used by all of the other auto makers except for Nissan and Tesla. CHAdeMO barely exists and was only being used by ONE maker, who is now phasing it out too. It would have made no sense at all to do half and half with CHAdeMO.
That is now, not back then though. The Leaf made up a bulk of the non-Tesla EV volume (110k vs Bolt at 24k), and Tesla is by far the largest (and back then it can only use CHAdeMO). Perhaps half-half would not be justified, but only one per station obviously is trying to give VW an advantage.
2017 US Plug-In EV Sales Charted: Market Grows 26%, Record 1.6% Share In December

To be clear, as per previous discussion, I'm not arguing that EA's move was the sole, or even primary reason for CHAdeMO's failure, but I think it's fairly obvious EA's move was not purely from neutral market considerations.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Rocky_H
That is now, not back then though. The Leaf made up a bulk of the non-Tesla EV volume, and Tesla is by far the largest (and back then it can only use CHAdeMO). Perhaps half-half would not be justified, but only one per station obviously is trying to give VW an advantage.
Haven't you heard of Wayne Gretzky's famous bit of wisdom? You don't skate to where the puck is. You skate to where the puck is going to be. When dozens of auto makers are using CCS and only one using CHAdeMO, it was already indicated that CCS was going to be the dominant and overwhelming number of EVs in the near future. Current numbers being different than that was not the important point. If someone was focusing on that instead of where the market was going (as you are), that would be very unwise and shortsighted. Setting up your business toward focusing on the old thing that is going away doesn't make much sense in any industry if you want to have a future.

Haven't you heard of Wayne Gretzky's famous bit of wisdom? You don't skate to where the puck is. You skate to where the puck is going to be. When dozens of auto makers are using CCS and only one using CHAdeMO, it was already indicated that CCS was going to be the dominant and overwhelming number of EVs in the near future. Current numbers being different than that was not the important point. If someone was focusing on that instead of where the market was going (as you are), that would be very unwise and shortsighted. Setting up your business toward focusing on the old thing that is going away doesn't make much sense in any industry if you want to have a future.
That's all fine and dandy if EA was purely a private venture, but it was one that was built in lieu of penalties to VW. To make a move that just "conveniently" disadvantaged one of VW's biggest competitors at the time, typically wouldn't be allowed if it was a public project (as given in other examples upthread where there were explicit ratios required).

GM made a similar argument back in 2012. They had 8 automakers signed up for CCS. Nissan only had two at the time (plus Tesla using the adapter). Back then there was a similar NRG settlement for the eVgo network and the charging station standards to install were to be decided. Obviously CARB did not buy GM's argument (even though CCS eventually did take over as it is now).
GM and Nissan trade punches over electric car fast charging | Torque News

Are your arguing that EA should have had a different ratio of CCS to Chademo? Personally, I think keeping to one (and now none) Chademo per site is about right....
Right now or back then? Right now, 0 CHAdeMO connectors per site is the right number. If they're going to do two connector types per site, it should be CCS1 and CCS2 (and I'd be able to buy a CCS2 to TPC adapter from Europe and use it to charge my Tesla at any EA site). But back then? Of the two types of connectors, the most prevalent EV in the US (Teslas) could only use CHAdeMO and this is still the case until Tesla releases the adapter, so I think a ratio of 1:2 for CHAdeMO to anything else was warranted.