Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the new software update (2021.44.6) on my October 2021 build MYLR, and I was disappointed to see that it shows "CCS Adapter Support" as "Not Installed". 😐

Hopefully installing the support hardware in my car will not be too expensive, once it - and the adapter itself - is available. Because I want it ASAP.
I wonder if Tesla has changed things and just has the new version report not installed until they are ready to release the adapter.

• Disagree
Reactions: kishkaru
I just got the new software update (2021.44.6) on my October 2021 build MYLR, and I was disappointed to see that it shows "CCS Adapter Support" as "Not Installed". 😐

Hopefully installing the support hardware in my car will not be too expensive, once it - and the adapter itself - is available. Because I want it ASAP.
Tesla might have switched to the new Charge Port ECU and had some old Charge Port ECU left over.

The semiconductor then started to bite and Tesla raided its old inventory store.

Reactions: kishkaru
Just updated to version 2021.44.6 today and am excited to see CCS adapter support ... enabled! Now patiently waiting for the adapter.

2021 Model Y, built 12/2020. The switch to model year 2021 happened circa Nov 2020, so my car is one of the earliest 2021 cars. So we can say all 2021 model year cars have it? But then again, the person above with a 10/2021 car, and the person on the previous page with a 07/2021 car doesnt have it... temporarily omission due to chip shortage of H2 2021?

Makes me think what else is missing in later 2021 cars. Buying a used 2021 car later down the line is going to be a huge mess, there's been so many updates (and downgrades).

20211220_213013~3.jpg

Last edited:

My September 2021 build says the same thing. I was pretty bummed when I saw that. :-(

All may become clearer when Tesla actually releases the CCS adapter for North America, and makes available (I hope) some supporting information on how it can be implemented for new and previously-released Tesla vehicles.

As you all may know, when the CCS Combo 2 adapter was made available in Europe Models S and X made before May 2019 required a relatively simple hardware retrofit in order to use the new adapter. (Cars made after that date came from the factory ready to use the adapter. Models 3 and Y with the CCS2 port did not require an adapter.) I think that the combined CCS2 adapter + retrofit is still for sale on the Tesla European websites for Model X. (Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs...)

I mention this old news because something similar may occur when the North American CCS1 adapter is finally released. For my part I am hoping that (a) the new CCS1 adapter works with Models S and X (it doesn't in South Korea), (b) my early 2021 (made December 2020) Model X does not require a hardware retrofit (I have FSD Beta software build that does not reveal CCS1 status), and (c),...like Rick Perry I can't think of what (c) should be. Maybe that Tesla hurries up and gets the darn adapter released already. (On Christmas day?) Also that it is affordable;...and that they make plenty to meet the demand. Happy holidays!

Last edited:
As you all may know, when the CCS Combo 2 adapter was made available in Europe Models S and X made before May 2019 required a relatively simple hardware retrofit in order to use the new adapter. (Cars made after that date came from the factory ready to use the adapter. Models 3 and Y with the CCS2 port did not require an adapter.) I think that the combined CCS2 adapter + retrofit is still for sale on the Tesla European websites for Model X. (Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs...)

I mention this old news because something similar may occur when the North American CCS1 adapter is finally released. For my part I am hoping that (a) the new CCS1 adapter works with Models S and X (it doesn't in South Korea), (b) my early 2021 (made December 2020) Model X does not require a hardware retrofit (I have FSD Beta software build that does not reveal CCS1 status), and (c),...like Rick Perry I can't think of what (c) should be. Maybe that Tesla hurries up and gets the darn adapter released already. (On Christmas day?) Also that it is affordable;...and that they make plenty to meet the demand. Happy holidays!
That they stop building new cars without the chip, as they apparently were including them, then stopped? I'd be really interested if the part is actually different or if it's something strange with software/firmware--did they end up with a chip shortage on the CCS-capable controllers? Do they have any plan to resume installing them?

Perhaps we should start a spreadsheet to record all of these datapoints, maybe an Admin could turn this into a Wiki

3/20 Y No, 6/20 Y Yes, 7/20 Y Yes, 12/20 Y Yes, 6/21 Y Yes, 9/21 Y No, 10/21 Y No

Oh no, you voiced my trigger word--"spreadsheet." :)

Interesting. I am new to this particular issue and don't understand why slightly older Model Ys are CCS1 enabled but not newer ones. Something to do with a necessary chip? Is this happening with Model 3s, or the other two models? (I'll cruise the postings and try to get up to speed.)

Meanwhile, would you want a proposed spreadsheet to contain something like this?

Spreadsheet.jpg

But I am getting ahead of myself. What is the purpose of the S/S? To pin down exactly when new Model Ys became CCS1-enabled and then when they ceased being enabled again? Collecting and collating such data would take some time and effort. As much as I like S/Ss, I'm not sure you would really need one just to answer those questions. To start with, do we know whether the questions can be satisfactorily answered?

Assuming that a chip on a printed circuit board somewhere is necessary for CCS1 adapter support, I see at least two possible scenarios for trying to determine the dates:
  1. There was perhaps logic and intention for the presence/absence of the necessary hardware, and as a result there were definite starting/ending dates.

Feedback from enough owners (sampling from, say, 25-50 people per model, maybe less) should establish the dates in question reasonably well.

2. The presence/absence of the necessary hardware was more arbitrary--perhaps caused by external forces outside of Tesla's control. Presence/absence dates may be quite soft or even random.

Feedback may produce confusing, contradictory information preventing establishment of hard dates.
Regardless, what would be nice is if TMC readers could voluntarily enter their own data. (Is that possible?) They would exert an individually tiny effort to provide car-by-car data that collectively gives you a powerful answer. Something like this would be fairly definitive (data totally made up):

CCS1 Compatibility - 1.jpg

Whereas something like this (also completely fabricated) would be informative but less satisfying (as a predictive visual model):

CCS1 Compatibility - 2.jpg

(Instead of "compatible" and "incompatible," maybe "supported" and "not supported.")​

If you did get something like the first result, you could then question the smaller subset of owners of cars from November-December 2020 and June-July 2021 to pin down exact milestone dates (as are known for some features and hardware).

I am aware of the polling feature, but not sure how that could be used to gather the necessary data.

Anyway, here are some ideas.

*****​

Just searched for "wiki." Didn't know that was a thing. Perhaps you could build a TMC Forum table as a Wiki post and let people add info? Trouble is, the table feature is pretty crude (compared to Excel or other actual spreadsheet programs). I've learned that it can do interesting things, but that it can also be pretty frustrating to manipulate, and the size is obviously limited.

Last edited:
Would any of the folks who reported "Not Installed" be willing to pull back the trunk trim to look at their chargeport ECU? Should be able to determine whether it is truly CCS capable or not via markings. The reason I ask is because someone I chatted with mentioned that it is possible that Tesla made a configuration mistake on the car gateways of some vehicles, as opposed to installing the older chargeport, so it would be interesting to know whether it truly is the pre-CCS one.

Would any of the folks who reported "Not Installed" be willing to pull back the trunk trim to look at their chargeport ECU? Should be able to determine whether it is truly CCS capable or not via markings. The reason I ask is because someone I chatted with mentioned that it is possible that Tesla made a configuration mistake on the car gateways of some vehicles, as opposed to installing the older chargeport, so it would be interesting to know whether it truly is the pre-CCS one.
I've been looking for the post where someone actually showed the difference in the board with the CCS chip and without, but I can't find it. I would be willing to look if I knew what I was looking for.