Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes CPC200-CCPA is needed when using an Android operating system device like Tesla Android + Raspberry Pi. You can find it a bit cheaper via Carlinkit's own amazon listing.
Thank you. But I think service is more important than low price. I saw a lot of people complaining that they bought from Amazon and couldn't get the corresponding after-sales help, so in the end, most of them chose to return the adapter to Amazon, the other of them encountered problems after a few months, but Amazon ignored them at all. That's probably why Amazon's rating is only 3.4.

Thank you. But I think service is more important than low price. I saw a lot of people complaining that they bought from Amazon and couldn't get the corresponding after-sales help, so in the end, most of them chose to return the adapter to Amazon, the other of them encountered problems after a few months, but Amazon ignored them at all. That's probably why Amazon's rating is only 3.4.
carlinkit is lacking in the area nycustomer service. I bought a wired only version from carlinkit. I reported a Bug. They asked for my order cumber & confirmed my name.

Hello,
I don't have any experience with this Android Auto/Rasberry Pi nor the CarLinKit .... but what's the difference? It looks like we can just use the CarLinKit directly to have CarPlay or Auto Android. If so, what's the advantage of this Rasberry Pi vs the CarLinKit? Thanks.

Using Carlinkit&CarPlay you are limited to what Carplay will allow you to play. Carplay will play music but you will not be able to play video. I want to watch music videos and follow Twitter and Whatsapp messages with photos and videos while I am driving. For this you need this Raspberry Pi solution.

www.TeslaAndroid.com

Reactions: Daekwan and JimmyB
Hello,
I don't have any experience with this Android Auto/Rasberry Pi nor the CarLinKit .... but what's the difference? It looks like we can just use the CarLinKit directly to have CarPlay or Auto Android. If so, what's the advantage of this Rasberry Pi vs the CarLinKit? Thanks.

Tesla android setup also allows wired CarPlay which I find handy for longer road trips.

Tesla android offers more possibilities such as using android OS apps and all audio is not Bluetooth streamed & is 48Khz PCM (uncompressed lossless) quality . Therefore you can play Apple Lossless codec media with no Bluetooth compression & flac/off/mp3 media from pi too.

On a new installation and when not using Carlinkit&Carplay, how do I further adjust the Android home screen with widgets and apps to be able to play Youtube, Plex, Spotify, Prime and Apple music through Andoid on the Tesla screen?
Setup google play app which come with the tesla android. Use google play to download some apps such as YouTube, VLC , Apple Music. On main desktop tap & hold finger on screen. A menu appears & there is an option “add widgets”. Many apps have widgets you can add to desktop.

Not yet sure how to add items to bottom app bar or make shortcuts on desktop. Highly likely it is possible.

Reactions: Daekwan
I got my iphone hotspot tethered to the TeslaAndroid Pi via ethernet using a TP Link mobile router TL-MR3020

This makes it possible to have Carplay and have internet access on both the Pi and the car while driving

66D8F15F-71A7-4F07-9F44-255A7BC40339.jpeg

I got my iphone hotspot tethered to the TeslaAndroid Pi via ethernet using a TP Link mobile router TL-MR3020

This makes it possible to have Carplay and have internet access on both the Pi and the car while driving

View attachment 918587
Nice. I have the TP-Link AC750 was planning to do the same as a test due to a Twitter question about this exact scenario.