Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't charge past 96%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever have an issue with their car not charging past a certain percentage. I cant say wether or not its related to my most current FW (40.2.3) or if its something else. I very rarely charge passed 90% but due to a recent trip she wont go past 96%. This was duplicated this morning after i ran the battery down to 9% yesterday and charged all night.

That's silly. Charging heats the pack. In no way is the pack functioning properly if it can't charge from 9% to 100.

I'd schedule a service center visit and get a new battery from Tesla. Definitely seems like a module failure.

Hmmmm, I was under the impression that the battery loses range as it ages. My MS100D only charges to 316 miles now, versus 335 when new. Should I expect Tesla to replace my battery??

Hmmmm, I was under the impression that the battery loses range as it ages. My MS100D only charges to 316 miles now, versus 335 when new. Should I expect Tesla to replace my battery??
You're thinking of mileage, not percent. The battery will not lose percentages. Degradation = 100% is 254 vs 265 when new. Not %100 is now 96%. The car should still charge to 100% but not get the original mileage.

0006DB28-58AE-493C-B304-F71E268B84A1.png
got up to 97 today but went back down to 96 shortly thereafter.

That's silly. Charging heats the pack. In no way is the pack functioning properly if it can't charge from 9% to 100.

I'd schedule a service center visit and get a new battery from Tesla. Definitely seems like a module failure.

Not if the ambient temp is cold and the amps slow down. It only heats up at higher amperage, and once you hit 96% it's already well tapered down to 5-10 amps and can easily get cold. Mine has done this routinely, and by the next charge is fine.

...I very rarely charge passed 90% but due to a recent trip she wont go past 96%...

Most likely, this is Battery Management System calculation drift as time passes.

That means although it calculates that the calculation is now 96% but in reality, there's no more room to charge it anymore so it should be labeled as 100% instead.

That's a similar but opposite complaint: Owners set charging at 80% at night but when they woke up, it showed 86%. It didn't intentionally overcharge and it did stop at 80% as it calculated last but then it re-calculated and reported the new display as 86%.

These are examples of miscalculations even though there's nothing wrong with your battery.

Numerous owners have reported that Service Center advised them in writing to set their charge at 90% and not lower to avoid these kinds of calculation drifts.

One owner is kind enough to post the receipt with the advice.

Most likely, this is Battery Management System calculation drift as time passes.

That means although it calculates that the calculation is now 96% but in reality, there's no more room to charge it anymore so it should be labeled as 100% instead.

That's a similar but opposite complaint: Owners set charging at 80% at night but when they woke up, it showed 86%. It didn't intentionally overcharge and it did stop at 80% as it calculated last but then it re-calculated and reported the new display as 86%.

These are examples of miscalculations even though there's nothing wrong with your battery.

Numerous owners have reported that Service Center advised them in writing to set their charge at 90% and not lower to avoid these kinds of calculation drifts.

One owner is kind enough to post the receipt with the advice.
Ok that makes sense. I dont charge every night. My charging is sporadic at best. Sometimes once a week, with some supercharging thrown in there for a few kw.

Reactions: Tam
Ok - you need to turn on the notifications for charge completed on your app. It should end at a 100 percent when completed. If it stops before 100, not normal (although some with batterygate issues have had that happen). After charge completed, there will be vampire drain and balancing, and that’s another issue

Ok - you need to turn on the notifications for charge completed on your app. It should end at a 100 percent when completed. If it stops before 100, not normal (although some with batterygate issues have had that happen). After charge completed, there will be vampire drain and balancing, and that’s another issue
I do, and the notification says charging completed at 97%

That is not a problem.

The problem is the bad charging habit.

Service Center documents in writing for owners that they should charge to 90% daily.

It's fine to not charging 90% daily but your battery gauge is messed up quicker that's all.

And that may cause owners' anxiety that there's something wrong with their battery and time and effort to take it to Service Center just to be slapped with a citation of bad charging habit.