Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car washing and paint correction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wash by hand. I agree with PJF000, definitely stay away from car washes!

I thought I was washing properly by hand! But alas, after 10 months of ownership, I had a few scratches and some slight swirls. It was kind of annoying! After some research, I found out I wasn't washing as good as I could be. A pre-rinse foam wash with a high pressure cleaner followed by a two bucket wash is the way to go. Time consuming yes, but worth it as it reduces the risk of inadvertently causing scratches and swirls. Google it; there is a lot of information out there.

Regarding paint protection, a friend of mine recommended Frank @ Bright Shine in Sydney. I booked him in and he performed some minor paint correction and then applied paint protection with an Australian product called Body Armour 9H that he is the distributor for. Check out their website as they have some approved applicators in Melbourne. Body Armour 9H permanent paint protection

Reactions: Puttit
Opticoat pro plus. I use a pressure washer to apply foam. Then pressure wash that off and finally dry with a synthetic chamois. No buckets. Very quick, effective, and no swirls/scratches. Doubtless the coatIng helps both dirt removal and resisting scratches and swirling. 2 years plus now.

Yes, I agree Dborn. I guess it depends how often the car is washed. If left for a while sometimes its too dirty and needs a bucket wash. But yes, I try to avoid the bucket wash as well as no contact with the car means no chance of scratches and swirls!

I usually use a contactless car wash (pressure), to keep it reasonably clean then do the occasional bucket wash.
Carnauba wax has made life much easier, as dirt and sap no longer stick (I street park a lot).
When bucket wash it is crucial to remove as much dirt as possible with hose or pressure washer. Use two buckets, one for rinsing and one for foam. Never use circular motion when cleaning, always run straight lines. Mr Miyagi lied to us:)

Foam the car with a foam "lance". Let it stand for 3 to 5 minutes to "drool off" the car and take the shyte with it. That gets rid of the major (and some minor) micro dust. Two bucket wash essential if you have a daily driven car to get rid of "the scum" that foam won't take off. Circular or straight lines wiping will have exactly the same result if you leave micro grit on the car - micro scratching.

Coatings (like Gyeon Mohs+) are superior to waxes, unless you enjoy waxing the car every month (and some people do, that's fine). Gyeon is a new(ish) player in the coating market, but offers a DIY package that anyone with some patience and a Random Orbital polisher can apply. Cost about $400 including buying the polisher if you don't own (or want to rent) one.

A car with ceramic coating is also easier to clean. As we know Ceramic Coating is a liquid polymer and using by hand. It's create a layer for protection that can only be removed through abrasion. The body panels of a ceramic coated car will be smooth and free of abrasions. Such a surface offers no place for dirt to stick on to. Even if it does, a simple swipe with a clean cloth brings the car back to its radiant finish.

The long life of ceramic coating indirectly makes it highly cost-effective. In addition to all the above advantages, ceramic coating makes your car look so much better. So, i recommend you to wash your car by hand. I'm doing this when i have free time.

A car with ceramic coating is also easier to clean. As we know Ceramic Coating is a liquid polymer and using by hand. It's create a layer for protection that can only be removed through abrasion. The body panels of a ceramic coated car will be smooth and free of abrasions. Such a surface offers no place for dirt to stick on to. Even if it does, a simple swipe with a clean cloth brings the car back to its radiant finish.

The long life of ceramic coating indirectly makes it highly cost-effective. In addition to all the above advantages, ceramic coating makes your car look so much better. So, i recommend you to wash your car by hand. I'm doing this when i have free time.
Agree, the ceramic coating makes cleaning time about 1/3rd, and I’ve noticed it doesnt get as dirty, probably because of the incredible smoothness. Even easier to clean with the cocktail of cleaning products the coating applicator recommended I use.

No manufacturer does though. All the dealers want to sell you some coating or another, but most of them do nothing. The specialty ceramic coatings do work. My car looks showroom after 4 years. Opticoat pro+. I have it maintained once a year by the applicator. I wash it with a Gerni with a car wash head (fan spray at about 45 degrees), and then wipe down with a synthetic chamois. No two bucket or other complicated system. Very quick and easy.

No manufacturer does though. All the dealers want to sell you some coating or another, but most of them do nothing. The specialty ceramic coatings do work. My car looks showroom after 4 years. Opticoat pro+. I have it maintained once a year by the applicator. I wash it with a Gerni with a car wash head (fan spray at about 45 degrees), and then wipe down with a synthetic chamois. No two bucket or other complicated system. Very quick and easy.
I had opticoat pro+ on my first tesla. I thought it was brilliant. With the new tesla my detailer convinced me that GTecniq crystal serum, a ceramic coating, would be better. It is another step better, which I didnt think would be possible.

Reactions: mike_j
It is a significant amount smoother, which I’m told is because the pores in the paint are more filled. The result is it stays clean longer, and is vastly quicker and easier to clean (compared to opticoat). The additional smoothness translates to additional gloss, so it looks amazing when clean.
Importantly it doesn’t pool the water like opticoat does, so no more of this annoying calcium rings on the horizontal surfaces that I used to get (might only be an Adelaide problem)
It also seems harder, although this is maybe a bit early, but those small scratches from people rubbing on the black paint dont seem to be occuring.
I’ve also observed less water on my garage floor compared to the opticoated tesla. The rain just doesn’t hang onto this coating.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension
I don't have any coating on my paint, but it still looks perfect after two years and 90,000kms.
There are some stone chips at the front, but I'm not a coating would prevent those. I'm guess a wrap would be better at preventing them.
My paint is solid white, which is a pretty forgiving colour to be honest.