Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Car Wash incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway to turn this off I usually take my seatbelt off when I park and back in and car just slams into park.

Also can’t drive around without a seatbelt even in your own driveway really ****ing annoying

Your seat weight sensor is probably broken. It happened to me. You can check it easily a few way. The car should not go into park if your in the seat with the door closed and no belt on. If it doesn't detect you in the seat it throws itself into park over and over when your belt is off.

1. Sit in your can open and close your door with the driver's seat belt off and not touching anything. If your screen turned off it's because the seat sensor is not picking you up.

2. Unbuckle your seatbelt while parked. Do you see a seatbelt warning icon? If it's not there the car doesn't think anyone is in the seat. The seatbelt icon should be on whenever you are sitting down without a seatbelt on. If you lift your body off the seat the icon should disappear.

Reactions: dusty22
Fwiw, I haven't washed a car in a car wash in winter ever. And I live in the Buffalo area (since 1975). Never had a car have a problem because of that. Just sold the 2013 fusion hybrid after getting the MY and it looked practically like new inside and out.
I would say there are three parts to keep clean... inside, outside and underside. When it is below freezing and they use salt on the road then the mixture of salt and snow/ice can get stuck on the bottom of car and the salt can kind of keep the snow/ice "slushy" and semi-liquid where it corrodes the frame. Winters I tend to focus on car washes that clean off the underside/frame of the car. I do have them wash the exterior because I like the looks and just leaning on the car you get all this white stuff on your clothes but I completely admit your experience might be common although I would have been interested to see the underside of the car.

I would say there are three parts to keep clean... inside, outside and underside. When it is below freezing and they use salt on the road then the mixture of salt and snow/ice can get stuck on the bottom of car and the salt can kind of keep the snow/ice "slushy" and semi-liquid where it corrodes the frame. Winters I tend to focus on car washes that clean off the underside/frame of the car. I do have them wash the exterior because I like the looks and just leaning on the car you get all this white stuff on your clothes but I completely admit your experience might be common although I would have been interested to see the underside of the car.
The outside panels are painted and stuff like bumpers are plastic so I don't think the salt affects it as much. The major damage and corrosion is done to the undercarriage.

I should have looked under, but don't specifically remember anything. If I saw one of the cars on a lift, I never noticed anything horrible.

People who ask why not just use a touchless carwash must have some kind of magical touchless wash in their vicinity.

I've tried them with abysmal results ... the car comes out almost as dirty as when I drove in, except that now the car has a thin dirt paste on it that takes definite friction to get off. Touchless carwashes should be called "pre-washes", as they just soften the dirt coating and require a REAL wash to finish the job..