Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my new Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
are you using? Any good deals out there? Suggestions?

Try the smaller companies that don't have much experience with many Teslas. That's the best deal. Some of the bigger players now consider Tesla an "Exotic" because of Tesla's policies that are making the cars expensive to repair after even minor accidents.

State Farm just quoted me over $2000+ on my new Tesla and I'm wondering what you guys are paying.
I've got a clean record and was surprise that price got that high. What insurance company
That sounds high but I'm on the east coast so I'm not sure if this is a good comparison. GEICO in NJ quoted me $650 for 6 months for comprehensive and collision. The exact model (70D, 90D,P90D,etc.) didn't seem to matter, which I thought was surprising given the significant difference in cost between a 70D and P90D. I can reduce it another $70 by completing a defensive driving course. For a reference point, it's 3 times more expensive than the same coverage for my 2015 BMW that costs about 60% as much as my Tesla. There's the typical Tesla mark up that I'm sure you've noticed at every step of ownership. I call it the "Tesla tax".

Ameriprise (from Costco's home page)...

2011 LEAF, 2000 Honda Odyssey Van, and 2013 Model P85. $650 every six months. Without the Tesla, $287 every six months, so the Tesla runs about $363 every six months. Full coverage...

My main carrier for home, auto, umbrella, boats, etc., didn't want to insure my Tesla. They indicated this by quoting $3000 a year. They don't think anyone is stupid enough to pay that - it's just their way of saying no thank you. I moved my boats and my Tesla to Geico.

car insurance is a very personal and unique to you product. there are many factors beyond the car and your driving record involved in the equation. where you live, your age, your financial history, your commute distances all come into play. so while asking and getting a range of what others pay can give you an idea of what rates are you may be unable to match some of the lowest rates that people will post.

car insurance is a very personal and unique to you product. there are many factors beyond the car and your driving record involved in the equation. where you live, your age, your financial history, your commute distances all come into play. so while asking and getting a range of what others pay can give you an idea of what rates are you may be unable to match some of the lowest rates that people will post.
Yep, and more: you can keep the car, owner, and insurance the same, and find huge price differences in different locales that have similar demographics. I gather this happens because insurance is computed across regions for each issuer. If they have a bad year in a region, they decide arbitrarily who to tap to get the profits up again.

So the short answer is call lots of companies, or perhaps try a broker. But do not expect any kind of consistency.

I spent the greater part of a week getting quotes from several insurance companies. My broker was able to lock in a quote from Progressive and the final cost was $100 more per year for the Model S than my current annual premium. My former carrier's quote was double my current premium. They should have just said that they were not interested. They ended up loosing all of my business over one car change.
I suspect that I will be shopping for insurance in the near future as the insurance industry becomes educated as to the costs of repairs for the Model S and starts to pass that cost on to the customer in the form of higher premiums.

I would not be so quick to accept the notion that insurance should be expensive for a Tesla.
While (I gather it's) true that car repairs are much more expensive, the weight of insurance costs is due to repair of the humans involved, and that is very much a reflection of car safety engineering and driver behavior.

If people are getting into accidents while playing with ludicrous mode e.g., *that* will lead to rates skyrocketing.

I started with Allstate since I've been with them for years with my other vehicles. But after Progressive quoted about a third the cost of Allstate for the same coverage except a few hundred dollar higher deductible I switched the S's coverage to them.

Check with your local Tesla-approved body shop - ask them which insurance companies are good about paying. I dropped State Farm when they tried nickel-and-diming on my claim - paying 1/4 what it cost to fix it after deductable - had to take them to arbitration (won), then dropped them. Not the first time they've done that to me (in two states), so it's not just a local thing.

Body shop said this happens all the time with certain companies, they'll be able to tell you which.

I just ran a quote through my insurance company (MAPFRE) and they informed my agent that starting in May the company is going to cancel all policies on Tesla vehicles. He said that other insurance companies that he sells are doing the same thing and it is resulting in a major increase in insurance costs by the carries that will still write for the car.