Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver hates Trip Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new owner who just completed a 2500 mile road trip, I can say that I definitely don't have "range anxiety" but I do have "destination anxiety". Most of the time I arrived at the supercharger with precisely 2% - 3% battery, which was intentional. However if I wasn't paying close attention to the map, I would have thrice found myself back at the same supercharger or at another one in a destination far from the established route. This was my constant destination anxiety since I received no notifications of these changes in the route.

As a new owner who just completed a 2500 mile road trip, I can say that I definitely don't have "range anxiety" but I do have "destination anxiety". Most of the time I arrived at the supercharger with precisely 2% - 3% battery, which was intentional. However if I wasn't paying close attention to the map, I would have thrice found myself back at the same supercharger or at another one in a destination far from the established route. This was my constant destination anxiety since I received no notifications of these changes in the route.

+1

I was never trying to cut it as close as you, but a couple of times after charging up at an SC, about 10-15 miles out the nav decided I needed to go back and charge again. The first time it happened I actually made a wrong turn at an interchange before I realized what was going on. After then, it was only an annoyance.

Just to add my 2c--I think it's absolutely fair to rake Tesla over the coals for the trip planner function. It's bizarre how terrible it is. And while it can sometimes be a bit of a joke to call the people that write for car magazines "automotive journalists," I want them to tell me about the bad as well as the good. That's especially imperative with a car as new and unique as the Tesla.