Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Complete Wi-fi Downloads 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A recent map update refuses to download. This problem has existed for several months. The MCU1 board was recently replaced as a part of the recall, but no improvement. We aren't getting live traffic and get a message to connect to wi-fi to download the map update when attempting to use the navigation. The car will connect but in kb/sec speeds (once in b/sec) but never manages more than a bit of the whole download before disconnecting--perhaps 1/8" of green line appears on the progress bar-- and never starts up where it left off. It has been suggested that upgrading from 3g to 4g might solve the problem, but I'm not sure why there would be such a difference and with 4g becoming obsolete, if it's worth it. Everything else connected to our home wi-fi operates at 55mb/sec or faster. Tesla service didn't address this when replacing the MCU board, and their phone desk couldn't offer any solutions. Any help from owners will be greatly appreciated.

They remotely partitioned and formatted my SD card to solve a 6 month period of failed downloads. My theory is that the failing eMMC had caused the MCU to destroy the formatting of the SD card. I upgraded to MCU2 and have not had any more problems.

I had a similar problem last month on my 2013 with original MCU1. Nav would get stuck on initializing navigation and after a reboot it would say it needed new maps. It would start downloading but get stuck.

What fixed it for me was to do the "harder reboot" (or whatever it's called) where you hold all four steering wheel buttons while pressing the brake.

Spoke with the service center that did the MCU replacement. I have a feeling that they reused the SD card from the old board. They are getting a new one with downloads pre-installed and putting that in gratis. Will keep you posted on the results. Thanks to all of you for your input thus far.