Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers now charge per kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, I just got an email from BC Hydro stating their proposed new CCS1 fee structure:

On July 28, we filed an application with the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) to increase our current rates for public electric vehicle charging service The new proposed rates are slightly higher than the current interim rates to help recover the costs of building and operating charging stations, and to better align with market rates.

If approved, the cost* to charge at our public charging stations effective September 1, 2023 will be:

• 3 cents per minute for Level 2 charging (currently free)
  • 13 cents per minute for 25 kW charging (currently 12.19 cents)
  • 25 cents per minute for 50 kW charging (currently 21.33 cents)
  • 33 cents per minute for 100 kW charging (currently 27.43 cents)

This is the latest from BC Hydro:

Our proposed public EV charging rates will not be changing September 1 as a result of our application and our current charging rates will remain in place. This is following a decision today by the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) that the interim changes we applied for as part of our public EV charging rate application were not approved. Instead, the BCUC has initiated an expedited review process for our application.

Score one for the BCUC!

I just saw the new off/on/mid peak rates for Etobicoke, ON location.

Ouch!

Morning: .36/kWh
Peak: .60/kWh
Evening: .51/kWh
Off peak 12AM: .29/kWh
As a point of comparison, TOU rates are .074,.101,.151 plus additional charges for distribution, transmission, etc that I think are around .05. These may not be similar to what Tesla pays to Toronto Hydro as they are likely paying commercial rates.

I just saw the new off/on/mid peak rates for Etobicoke, ON location.

Ouch!

Morning: .36/kWh
Peak: .60/kWh
Evening: .51/kWh
Off peak 12AM: .29/kWh
I actually love and waiting for this peak/non peak/overnight rate. It really suits my lifestyle coz I usually either charge early morning or late night. Hope Tesla will implement this to Pickering & Scarborough superchargers.

Reactions: richyrich
Reactions: DuncanM
Ooo look at these rates...
20230829_204336.jpg
20230829_204316.jpg

When Tesla introduced peak/off-peak rates at Superchargers, they increased the peak rates while offering cheap off-peak rates. For example, here's how it changed for Coquitlam:

1693403839192.png

Is this actually better for you? I don't Supercharge often, but when I do, it's rarely during the middle of the night, so while this new fee structure may be more fair, I'll end up paying more.

What is the motivation for this? Are they just doing a fixed markup on their wholesale electricity rates? Or are they trying to change charging behaviour? If it is the latter I wonder if they will have different pricing strategies for SCs in cities/towns vs those that are on highways and are likely to be used by long distance travellers rather than local people.

What is the motivation for this? Are they just doing a fixed markup on their wholesale electricity rates? Or are they trying to change charging behaviour? If it is the latter I wonder if they will have different pricing strategies for SCs in cities/towns vs those that are on highways and are likely to be used by long distance travellers rather than local people.
I think to change behavior, these charger were full even before they were built;). There are constant line ups at the Burnaby location. I also think in our market here there are many BC hydro options at a cheaper price point.

Reactions: richyrich