Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Read This License Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only thing I can make out from the plate is that is starts with a 7. Tesla Dashcam currently does not have the resolution that I would expect if I needed to document somebody's license plate, especially from the front camera. It would have been nice for that truck to have front plates, so it would have been recorded better by your side camera. You can see what I mean from a post I made last year:

That site did not find my own personalized plate (issued in 2018) and my wife's plate (issued in the '90 and attached to at least 4 vehicles in its lifetime). It did find my daughter's Murano but then locked me out of free searches.

I've had some luck before using California's Bureau of Auto Repair's Vehicle Smog Test History: Vehicle Test History - Bureau of Automotive Repair

It does require that the vehicle's plate you are looking up is at least 5 years old and is not an EV; in other words, an ICE which has gone through at least one smog check.

Reactions: Clun9
Closest I can come to this is: 7FBZ709
7FBZ709 is not of the correct pattern for a pickup plate in California. The pattern would be NANNNNN (or NNNNNAN) where N is a number and A is an alphabetic character.

So you might have something like 7F82208 or with numbers that could resemble those (9 versus 8, 7 versus 2, etc.).

You can look up a California license plate's smog check history, including year, make, and model, at Vehicle Test History - Bureau of Automotive Repair

No big deal, but California will send a courtesy letter to this driver if I report him. Coal rolling is illegal in California (as is passing on a double line).

Closest I can come to this is: 7FBZ709
As mentioned in similar requests, can you upload the source clip to a file share like drop box or google drive? For this one there is a decent chance for recovering (unlike other cases where almost nothing can be made out), especially given people gave a link to a site where guesses can be checked.

You can also try a video enhancement tool yourself if you don't feel comfortable doing that.
Free video enhancement software

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
7FBZ709 is not of the correct pattern for a pickup plate in California. The pattern would be NANNNNN (or NNNNNAN) where N is a number and A is an alphabetic character.

So you might have something like 7F82208 or with numbers that could resemble those (9 versus 8, 7 versus 2, etc.).

You can look up a California license plate's smog check history, including year, make, and model, at Vehicle Test History - Bureau of Automotive Repair

Edit: found that there are many F350 Super Duty under similar plates, so can't really rely on that site too much (unlike regular plates where being off by one number means a completely different car model). Given this, it makes sense to narrow down the years. The video appears to be a 2005-2007 refresh version (original 2002-2004 version had different grill and bumper design), similar to below:
Ford_F-350_King_Ranch_--_09-12-2010.jpg

Ford Super Duty - Wikipedia

Last edited: