Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you change NEMA 14-5 to Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping it was a typo and you meant a 14-50 outlet. If so, it IS NOT the same wiring! A 14-50 is a four-wire outlet. Two 120VAC hot leads, a neutral and a ground.

The Tesla HPWC is a three- wire device. Two 120VAC hot wires and a ground. There is no neutral. So, the neutral would need to be disconnected in the panel and taped on both ends.

For a licensed electrician, it is an easy swap.

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot, bought a stove 14-50 cord set and wired it into my HPWC, setting the dip switches to 50 amps (40 amps delivered). I mounted the HPWC to the wall near the 14-50 outlet and plugged it in. Depending on where you live, this might fall into an electrical code grey area, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing prohibiting it.

Yes you can certainly use a 14-50 pigtail. However, since the install instructions for the HPWC don't specify this as an option, some don't think it is kosher to do this. My Blink came with a 6-50 pigtail, and ClipperCreek sells their EVSEs with a variety of plugs on them, and I personally think it's fine. But if you want to hard wire it, it's almost as easy as installing a cord.

You just get a cover plate for the outlet box that has a hole for conduit, remove the outlet, and use the box as a junction box. The conduit gets connected to your HPWC and the appropriate wire is connected to the wires used for the outlet, run through the conduit and terminated in the HPWC. Have an electrician do it if you are the slightest bit uncertain.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PtG62901