Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Can the in-car browser save passwords?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my limited use, the car browser seems to clear cookies at power-off. I have to tell Full Screen Weather that it's ok to use my location each time I pull it. Maybe some other folks will have more insight into storing creds.

The browser can save passwords (like to TMC ) or plugshare. But anytime you reboot the center console, it wipes the saved passwords out.

The prompt for "allowing to use your location" is not so much a saving password issue. (there is no spot to put in a password). I think you would get that same message on your desktop computer.

- - - Updated - - -

I have driven weeks without having to reenter my passwords to those sites. So in my case it doesn't wipe the passwords when the car powers off.

The prompt for "allowing to use your location" is not so much a saving password issue. (there is no spot to put in a password). I think you would get that same message on your desktop computer.

That's possible. I tend to choose "Never allow" when I'm prompted for locale aware sites so this is my first foray into the positive response side of that question :p

I find it annoying that not only are cookies deleted with reboots but that cookies, passwords, and bookmarks are not profile specific. Not only that, but profiles should be based on your tesla account and when you get a loaner, Tesla should sign you into your account with your loaner and all your driver profile settings including your browser cookies, passwords, and bookmarks should all be there.

Using a Tesla should be like signing into a Chromebook. It doesn't matter what chromebook you use. All your stuff is there regardless because it's synced to the cloud.

Failing all that, does anyone know of any web proxy rendering services that can do all the heavy lifting and store cookies and such and simply render html to the Tesla browser?

Teslaapps.net seems to have tried doing something like this but when I emailed them to ask them some questions about their service, they never responded. I think they might be out of business.

profiles should be based on your tesla account and when you get a loaner, Tesla should sign you into your account with your loaner and all your driver profile settings including your browser cookies, passwords, and bookmarks should all be there.
Now THAT would be awesome, get in your wife's car, a loaner, buy a new car, use a friend's, whatever, you get in, login, and the seat and mirrors already know how to be set up, the screens set themselves to your favourite setup, the right music comes on, and you drive it just like it had been yours for years.

There's actually no reason Tesla couldn't implement this relatively easily (though I'm sure it's a very long way down their priority list)

• Informative
Reactions: faughtz
What websites are all of you logging into on your Model S? I haven't found a need to use any website other than livetesla and I certainly can't think of any password protected site I would need while driving my car. Any suggestions?

Google calendar, hotmail, telus webmail, this forum, other forums, NissanEV connect (to monitor my Leaf), etc. I spend a lot of time in traffic and I can't be touching my phone. It's funny because many days when I have to go to downtown Vancouver, the traffic can be stop and go on many places along the highway, and the cops often hide then walk out into the stopped traffic and point to people using their phones to pull over (esp. on the 99 after the tunnel and before the Oak St. bridge). The other day, one walked right by me, watched me typing an email on my screen, looked at me, likely thought about it, but then pointed to a person in another car he had come out to get using his phone. "I was defrosting the window officer!"

Does anyone else notice that the passwords are not held as long with the latest firmware? I used to only have to re-enter passwords when the car updated. After the last update, I have to do it about every other day on my 2014 non-AP S85.

I bought my car two weeks ago (it's a 5/2015 S85 with ap and fw 7.1 / 2.12.126).

Parking the car and coming back, I had to login to the pages again. It's very annoying.
Anyone else with the same problem or a solution (I rebooted both consoles)?

Parking the car and coming back, I had to login to the pages again. It's very annoying.
Anyone else with the same problem or a solution (I rebooted both consoles)?

Changing the settings to switch off energy saving (Controls > Displays > POWER MANAGEMENT) helps, that during the day the login is persistent (because no energy saving during day).
But next day it's gone (because even with energy saving off, it's going to save energy during night).

In Short: Energy saving = remove login / cookies

• Love
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Does anyone else notice that the passwords are not held as long with the latest firmware? I used to only have to re-enter passwords when the car updated. After the last update, I have to do it about every other day on my 2014 non-AP S85.

I use hotmail and my car would hold the password for a week (plus or minus). It seemed to be random when it would require me to log in again. The second last firmware update did make me log in every time. I haven't tried since.

I will note one other thing. I used to have a heck of a time even logging into hotmail. The keyboard did not automatically appear when clicking the password text box. I wasn't sure if this was a flaw or Tesla's way of saying "don't do this". I'd have to tap dozens of time and the keyboard would come up maybe 10% of the time.